The newest 6mm factory round is the recently announced 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). I tested a bolt-action handgun in 24 Nosler last year and was so impressed with the round that I had a Remington Model 700 originally in .223 Rem. One other fine 6mm round is the .240 Weatherby Magnum. That flattens trajectories somewhat and applies a bit more punch to the game. The ballistics look great. Precision Rifle Podcasts - 4 Podcasts Hosted by Top 10 Shooters. . Clovered groups were the norm for both. Those I know that can pick their own stuff are still proving out the 224V and many like it, not sure the differences are enough right now, time will tell. If you are looking for 6mm ARC ammunition, components, or parts/gear, check out the following: Dont miss out on Ultimate Reloader updates, make sure youre subscribed! Photo shows high B.C. It is larger than the 6x47L and matching the 6-Creedmore capacity. The 24 Nosler is exceptionally accurate and mild mannered and has cleanly taken numerous midsized big-game animals. I know what. This isn't your grandpa's muzzleloading system. If you already have an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel, the ONLY thing you need to change is the barrel. Twist rate was one turn in 10 inches, which handled the 100-grain deer bullets nicely. 100 Factory ammo? I did a ladder test one time at 300 meters on an electronic target, the Norwegian ones that have verified accuracy. pathfinder76 #14942491 06/04/20. It is based on the previous 22 Nosler and has two features to make it compatible with AR-type rifles: a slightly rebated rim that is the same diameter as the .223 Remington and an overall cartridge length set at 2.26 inches, the same as other AR rounds. These developments are interesting, and the supreme accuracy achieved by several of the wildcat cartridges make them worthy of mention here. I also shot mine with an Ultra 9 direct-thread suppressor. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. However, 25.3 inches of drop at 400yds is by no means terrible. Hornady launched the 6mm ARC with three factory loads: a 103-grain ELD-X Precision Hunter at an advertised 2,800 fps, 105-grain BTHP Hornady Black at an advertised 2,750 fps and the 108-grain ELD-Match load at a stated 2,750 fps. This increased size means the 243 has a case capacity of 53-54.8 gr H2O. Also 6X47 has also interested me. (The company envisioned it as primarily a deer-hunting round, with occasional use on varmints.) This means that during a 1,200-yard flight to the target, gravity and wind will pull and push on the 6 mm ARC between one- and three-tenths . At the time of the 22 PPC and 6mm PPC being developed by Ferris Pindell and Dr. Louis Palmisano (thus the PP), the bench rest winners were often the 222 Remington and the 6x47 Remington (the latter being a necked-up 222 Remington Magnum). First, the cartridge was designed for dual purposes: deer hunting and varmint hunting. remains a solid performer with todays high-tech bullets, new powders, and fast-twist rifle barrels. I cant speak for the ARC, but for the 6BR. However, the 6mm ARC will service the military and civilian shooters more often in AR-15-type rifles, meaning barrel lengths will likely be closer to 18 inches. Arguments amongst experts (real and self-delusional) spewed forth with ferocity. It debuted in 1955 and has been immensely and justifiably popular ever since. Another cartridge that deserves mention is the relatively new 24 Nosler. The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. Long-range started with a cold shot at 600 meters using the reticle followed by one at 1100 meters using confirmed elevation dialed in, holding for wind. My handloads for the round have all been for Missouri deer, and I can confidently recommend my favorite. You can get a 6 to 6.5 pound rifle which can shoot high B.C. Do not attempt any of the processes or procedures shown or described on this website. Guns & Ammo's first sample rifle chambered in 6mm ARC was a Ruger AR-556 MPR with an 18-inch barrel. Her 6mm Creedmoor rifle is light and handy and shoots like a house afire, and recoil and muzzle blast are modest. Clearly better to galivant around the countryside with then an AR10. was not, and the .243 Win. In the 6mm ARC vs. the rest of the calibers vying for your attention, we have to ask if it the next 6.5 Creedmoor. This data and these techniques can not be assumed to be safe. Minuteman. Or hunting? This is the Great short, fat 6mm PPC that was developed by Dr. Louis Palmisano and Ferris Pindell. Powder selection is easy: Just stick with CFE 223 and all will be right with the world. !function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)? With more case capacity, the 6mm BR can drive the heavier, higher BC bullets needed at long distance. The first groups were the 6.5 Grendel cases that I modified for the 6mm ARC. Given the need for a centered shot on a 6 roundish target from 100 to 300 meters, I would take it without hesitation. It uses the ever-effective Hornady 100-grain RN InterLock with H4350 powder. The Barnes 80-grain Tipped Triple-Shock BoatTail sizzles with a velocity of 3,226 fps with a safe loading of VihtaVuori N550 powder, and the Speer 90-grain Hot-Cor can easily achieve 3,115 fps with VihtaVuori N160. The first set of data is loaded to the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) of 52,000 psi, which is stated to be suitable for gas-operated firearms such as the AR-15 platform and its derivatives. In many ways, the race to the bottom is paying off. I used the lathe to modify a 6.5 Grendel bushing die and ended up with a 6 ARC die. Full Member. Poll: What Reloading Components Cant You Find? ZEV cleaned house using the David Tubb DTR reticle. They are an LMT Mars-H with a 20 6.5 CM barrel, Leupold Optics Mark 5 HD 5-25 T3 reticle using 95 grain Hornady VMAX. 6mm AR (L), 6mm BR (R) Good luck, John 1shot Mar 4, 2013 #4 I am a much better bolt gun shooter than AR shooter. 1,461. However, I must confess that Hornadys factory loads shoot so well that the reloader is hard-pressed to better them. It was essentially the Huntington cartridge, but with a 26-degree shoulder for easier case manufacturing. Your email address will not be published. Truth be told, the magnum race is still underway. All Rights Reserved, Borden's 7mm Rem. The new Mossberg rifles chambered for the new 6mm ARC should give similar results with even less recoil -- not that the old 243 Win. Its release as a commercial round was presaged by a number of successful 6mm wildcats like the 6mm AR based on the Grendel. Advanced Marksmanship Unit. Mag. But I wanted to get some real-world results with my new CMMG Endeavor 300 6mm ARC AR-15 published as soon as I could, and therefore embarked on an exciting journey. They have 10 solid options ranging in weight from 90 to 110 grains. Comparing 6mm ARC to 6mm CR is is apples and oranges again. H2O, and a 6mm BR, around 39.0 gr. Ballistically, thanks mostly to heavy-for-caliber, high B.C. Accuracy was good, with one group I captured on camera (see video) measuring 0.750: I decided to see how fast a 95 grain bullet could be propelled by the 6mm ARC, so I turned to some 6mm Berger Classic Hunter bullets I had on hand, and Ramshot TAC powder. I'm a 6.5x47 lapua man myself. I hired a Mossberg in 243 Winchester to take this multi-tined TX Hill Country whitetail with a single shot. That doesnt mean others in that community or those in contact with them may not want 6mm ARC someday, or even give it a try sooner than later. Every rifle is a proven performer to 1100 meters and an AR using the same or similar suppressor, no brakes, flash hiders or conventional suppressors. Slightly bigger still is the 6CM, which invokes much cooler H1000 powder (to best all these in barrel life). Wilson Combat will offer WC-15 6mm ARC rifles with our match-grade, 18" fluted/threaded Tactical Hunter barrel. Full house loads will likely burn about 27- to 29-grains of suitable powders such as H4895, Reloader 15, and AA 2520, so handloads should be relatively inexpensive to build. Poll: What Progressive Reloading Press Do You Use Most? I did not try to shoot past 900 today because of limited ammo and Applied Balistics indicates that at 2550 FPS MV these 108s are going transsonic just past 900 and I didnt want to waste the last few shots. Each rifle ships with one 10-round magazine. What does all this mean? Yes it is designed to run in AR15-platform rifles. [7] What the 6mm ARC does offer though is almost comparable velocities and ballistic performance, but out of a compact cartridge that has lessened perceived recoil and fits into the standard AR-15 length actions. [citation needed]. Designed for superior long-range accuracy, the ENDEAVOR line features a 20-inch barrel so that you can squeeze out every drop of ballistic performance from this exciting new caliber. The 6mm Creedmoor and it's smaller siblings like the 6mm Dasher, BR . You might be surprised to discover you've come out on top! You can boost the performance of the 6mm ARC in a bolt action quite easily. Long-range precision shooting is one of the fastest-growing segments of the shooting sports. I also confirmed velocity for existing conditions. It is chambered in many very good and some very inexpensive rifles, which have helped make it the hit that it is. Im referring to the 6mm Creedmoor, which is simply the 6.5 Creedmoor case necked down with no other change. They run the gamut from tiny benchrest numbers to those with larger cases that essentially duplicate many factory rounds. L. to R. are Berger 95-gr. 6 ARC Testing To set up a viable 6mm ARC vs. these other calibers, I set 100-meter zeros, then confirmed at 1100 meters providing a proven hold at range. Poll: What handgun cartridge do you reload most often? August 14, 2022. Mid-20th Century 24-calibers shoot much faster than the new Hornady 6mm ARC, but are they ballistically better? Poll: Whats your number one reason for reloading? Then theres Hornadys new 300 PRC, Weatherbys 6.5-300 Weatherby, and several more modern speed demons. Reduced recoil minimizes flinching and enables shooters to see their hits or misses so they can correct for subsequent shots. Ammo capacity is about the same, 20 rounds with the longer Grendel mags. NOTE: This 6mm ARC reloading data is intended for use in bolt action rifles safe for pressures up to 62,000 psi. Consider the 7mm, 300, 338, and 375 Remington Ultra Magnums. F-Class A to Z with Erik Cortina + Special Guest! My barrel is a 7 twist 20 and Im going to try the Hornady 108s and I may try some VARGET too as it is another of my favorites. All testing was completed using 108 grain ELDM from Hornady. 6.5 Grendel vs. 6mm ARC Ballistics. Retested today with 26.3 grs. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Legend, 450 Bushmaster. No surprise there since it is about the same weight as the 6 ARC and both used Proof Research barrels. I also measured five fired but not resized factory 6mm ARC cases. 2730 FPS and way over-pressured though SDs were single digits, groups were all just over 1.25 MOA. It recoils about 50% less than any long-range 308 Win. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. H4895. The biggest differences between the 6mm PPC and the 6mm ARC are the shoulder angle (30 for 6mm PPC, and 40 for 6mm ARC), and the base-to-datum spec for the shoulder (6mm ARC is pushed back further). If you want to shoot at distance with your AR-15, this is the cartridge. That bullet and Hybrid 100V powder recently grouped into a remarkable 0.44 inch in a Ruger Model 77R. 6mm ARC: Fact or Fiction? You get most of the good without most of the bad and that is a pretty good start. Commercial 6mm ARC offerings will feature bullets selected to deliver ideal performance for hunting, match shooting and personal protection applications. I must note here how hard it hit. Both were termed Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt bullets. The bullet diameter of each caliber is the same at .243". My speed is significantly slower ( 50 FPS) than Gavins at 2552 FPS with an SD of 6. Fast is better but slow means mo? Dropped on my M16 lower doubles and triples stayed on a full-sized silhouette out to 25 yards, stretched doubles to 50 yards. case necked up, made especially for ARs. Again using QuickLoad, I developed the following load: Here I saw velocities averaging 2,631 FPS. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. The Zev Technologies .223 is still the most fun you can have with an AR out to 600 meters. Those who are going to like or prefer the 6mm ARC will likely appreciate the 6mm ARC for its utility in either the AR 15 platform & or the mini action bolt action rifles. Im interested in a direct comparison to the 224 Valkyrie and the 6 mm ARC. It is advanced for the AR platform. Eight reasons to embrace the Hornady 6mm ARC and other low-velocity cartridges. has not been on game, some loads stand out. What explains that? Just looking for a ball park difference. Your email address will not be published. But since there is no factory ammo, 24 Nosler shooters must handload. It depends on numerous factors, including ammunition used, barrel used, and the shooter's skill, but in general, 6mm ARC is a more precise cartridge. shoots the same cadre of 0.243-inch bullets as the .243 Win. NB / Canada. Photo Courtesy Berger Bullets. Just striving for accuracy. Unlike the NGSW the 6 ARC is a standard cartridge fired from an AR-15. Company literature in 1955 described both bullets as Soft Point.. As Jackie says there's a big difference in the cases. Standard practice is to start tweaking burn rates, bullet weight and weighting factor to make calculated muzzle velocity match actual. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. Thats only a minor impediment for serious riflemen. After entering my measured capacities, measured muzzle velocity with 27 grains of VARGET under the 108 ELD-M of 2554 is now within 2 FPS of Quickloads estimated 2552 FPS. I wont even mention primers as that is just generic across the board with any caliber at this point. The strings netted three or four out of five, misses were off the edge. WT?, Tactical Time Lord. Played at other stuff with the 6 ARC but that was the bulk of the testing. bullets of the 6mm Creedmoor. Before there were scopes or red dots there were iron sights. A fun challenge. Closer to 43, I think. It is accurate, produces good velocities, and the copper eraser stuff in this powder makes barrel cleaning a breeze. Given this or your typical AR10, no contest, the 6 ARC is much easier to carry. Some may scoff at the old-fashioned roundnose bullet, but it is a terrific game bullet, and I have never had to use a second shot to down a deer. I did not have time to work up a load for accuracy, so Ill defer that discussion for a future post. In the 1970s, I had a Remington Model 700 BDL so chambered, and I took my first Texas whitetail with it. Lets break down a few things about this number: So if you have a 24 bolt-action 6mm ARC rifle, thats the velocity you should expect. The latest, sleekest, high B.C. Recoil is subjective and using the same bullet weight they were all close. It still turns the steel and is very consistent holding 9 mils at the top. I had a heavy-barreled Sako single shot in the 1970s, and it shot like almost all 6mm PPCs: great. Thread Modes. I tried the hand loaded 27 grain Varget loads and they shot a pleasantly surprising .5 and .52 MOA group at 100 yards. The IRMT upper locks the barrel in place with unparalleled rigidity. Thankfully most bantering moved back to more pressing issues like high demand (and low supply) of firearms or ammunition and that pesky election coming up in a few short months. range.) [5] Rifle cartridges (l. to r.) .308 Win, 6mm ARC, 300 AAC, .223 Rem, Hornady 6mm ARC Cartridge - What You Need to Know, Public Introduction - 6.5 Creedmoor - 6mm-ARC-Public-Introduction-Rev-2020-06-18.pdf, Brand new rifle caliber: 6 mm ARC, Hornady's Advanced Rifle Cartridge! The rifles Barrett supplied for the DoD are top-notch, but they are just a modified REC-7 DI. Read on! It is based on the 6.5 Grendel case, and time will tell if it, too, becomes one of the great ones. The faster a bullet leaves the barrel, the farther it flies before hitting the ground, the less it deflects in crosswinds, and the more energy it carries when impacting the target. The 6.5 Grendel was made by modifying the 220 Russian parent case. Whats the plus delta on each? For me because I have a cz527 I can convert enough said. Or it fits the extra-short AR-15 platform rifles beloved and preferred by many shooters. Ultimate Reloader LLC is not responsible for errors in load data on this website. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Which it does pretty well within those limitations. Geissele fixed gas block was retained with no change in brass ejection pattern or bolt speed. With the 6PPC you have to turn necks and fire-form the cases from smaller 220 Russianbrass. Based on the .204 Ruger, which was created from the .222 Rem. This is fortuitous, as it is a delight to reload and seems to like just about all the bullets Ive tried in it. After forming some cases I shot Berger 105 hybrid targets over 27.5 grs. Blue collar reloading had 25 boxes of brass right now. The 6mm ARC is designed to run in existing in M4 rifle platforms. Its case is bigger and its report louder, but it is deadly effective in the field. bullets for the Hornady 6mm ARC. Did not hit as hard but it was no slouch, anything it hit would notice for sure. But I wanted to get some real-world results with my new, would produce approximately 2,754 FPS in a 24 bolt-action rifle, Dont miss out on Ultimate Reloader updates, make. Mag., the 6mm-204 essentially recreates the 6x47. As a follow-up exercise, I plan to use QuickDesign software to create a more accurate model for the 6mm ARC. .243 bullet for military (combat) applications in modern, autoloading rifles. Hornadys 80-grain GMX and 103-grain ELD-X and the Speer 90-grain Hot-Cor all are accurate and deadly. Follow up to the above. [10] The 6mm ARC therefore can also be a suitable chambering for shorter "micro-action" bolt-action rifles. Sneak Peek of Bryan Litz's New Book: Volume III of Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Jorge Spat to learn all about it. At 400 yards, it has an average bullet drop of 22.2 inches. 6mm ARC The newest 6mm factory round is the recently announced 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge). The cartridge was developed by Noslers Mike Lake, and it was approved by SAAMI in 2017. The general shooting public loves them for control of vermin like feral hogs. A new 6mm round blossomed in 2017, and it has already taken a position in the Great category. Ballistic Calculators & Field Results . According to some of the PRS crowd it lets you spot shots through your scope. The Hornady 6mm ARC is at its best with long for caliber, high BC bullets like this Berger 108-grain Elite Hunter. The Hornady manual states that this second set of data should not be used in gas-guns. The Remington 600 action that it came off was set up as a single shot rifle, no magazine assembly, and the Fajen stock was inletted just deep enough for a 1/2" thick aluminum platform to lay the cartridge on. The 243 has a case length of 2.045" compared to the 1.49" of the 6mm cartridges. I decided that since I didnt have any load data, I would have to generate my own! Looking at putting together on of lower powder capacity 6mms in an effort to possibly extend barrel life a touch and have a nice smooth/easy shooting gun. They still do. This rifle originally started out as a 224 Valkyrie using their IRMT upper and NX15 lower. 100-300m: Consistent 100 meter groups in the .60 -.75 inch range, 2.5-3.0 inches at 300 meters were the norm. For example, the data in the Hornady 11th Edition Manual for an 18 in (457 mm)-barrelled AR-15 platform firearm was on average 200-300 ft/s (60-90 m/s) less than the data for the 24 in (610 mm)-barrelled CZ 527 bolt action rifle. and puts more impact splash on steel plates than any .224 rounds. JavaScript is disabled. Its all about the lack of correlation between mapping out rounds on a computer and sending them downrange at targets measured in yards. Will it supplant mainstream calibers? After consulting Quickload, I also shamelessly lifted Gavins 27 grain VARGET load under 108 ELD-Ms. My Ballistic Advantage barrel is a little different than Gavins. Quickload can be frustrating when there is more than 10 FPS difference between calculated and measured MV. Subscriber Services. Maybe in a rural area where ranges stretch out, but movement here will be a rarity. Not a contest. wasn't as big a fan of his 4 oz trigger but all in all I want one someday don't know enough about the 6 arc to comment on it . Overall, the 6mm ARC delivers optimum all-range performance and barrel life. is One Gun To Rule Them All, New 270 Cartridges Challenge 6.5s and 7mms. I had three high capacity magazines using white followers, two 17 rounders with green followers. Has any one who has both ever measured the case capacity (H2O) My google foo has failed me. Cal December 9, 2018 Leave a comment. Real Performance Results, From-Scratch Experimental Load Development, 6mm ARC Landing Page at Midsouth Shooters Supply, Subscribe to Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog by Email, NEW DAA Infra-Red Low Powder Sensor (Hands-On). What about your 6.8 SPC? Were going backwards! Unless youre carrying this into combat, Im not sure it matters. Here was my strategy to extrapolate my results to the likely scenario of the 24 test barrel: Heres the work-up: (pressure listed is MAX projected, not average). While almost any combination of components seems to shoot well, my favorite powders are Hybrid 100V, Reloder 17, and Power Pro 4000MR. If this development strikes you as the opposite of progress, you might have spent the bulk of your life in the 20th century. However, I would not want to carry it far. So adopting the cartridge should be, for many shooters, convenient and affordable. Tests varied from 100-1100 meters (110-1200 yards, for the metrically challenged). I chose to start with Varget because of what I read about 6mm PPC, and I have a lot on hand! The 6mm ARC's more efficient projectiles with their high BCs provides superior exterior ballistics with noticeably less wind drift, higher retained velocity and greater retained energy. for decades and have experienced no odd problems with it. From a precision standpoint, 6mm ARC does tend to beat 224 Valkyrie. How about the 26, 27, 28, and 30 Noslers? All of the eyeball'ed loads produced sub-MOA groups. SPC; the 300 AAC Blackout, 350 Winchester Legend and 458 Bushmaster. Hornady BLACK 6mm ARC 105 Grain Boat-Tail Hollow Point Match Centerfire Rifle Ammunition, 20, BTHP Match (Save 10%) $34.99 $1.75/Round. I followed up with three at 300 meters and a 600 Meter shot on a 22 x 16 silhouette steel. Follow @UReloader Probably not. A memorized trajectory curve combined with a ballistic reticle or turret dialing could compensate. I have never had a easier caliber to load for. I also confirmed velocity for existing conditions. Recoil is primarily a product of bullet weight. 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5 PRC: Which is Better? Low velocity coupled with relatively light bullets reduces recoil. VLD, Hornady 108-gr. Many shooters necked the BR case down, and a 6mm version ultimately became the 6mm BR Remington. pavementends Junior Member. The powder charge I used then is lost to history, but the bullet was a Speer 90-grain SP. Who knew wild turkey's were so stupid!? Party-poopers will gleefully point out that the 6.5 Grendel was based on the 6mm PPC case necked up, and here it is necked back down to 6mm. The 6mm CM at 300yds is 2514 and 1446 and 6mm ARC is 2288-1197. My guess is that Hornady is banking on a broader market with hunters and enthusiasts, once more ammunition is available. Why step up to a loud, hard-kicking 300 PRC when youre dropping your deer with your 6.5 Grendel as far as you can shoot in your hunting field? Advantage, magnum. 6MM ARC AR-15 Barrels for Sale at Joe Bob Outfitters! There are 6ARC bolt guns out there. bullets in .243" help make the light-kicking, short Hornady 6mm ARC ballistically superior to the 308 Win., 6.8 SPC. Second, it was chambered in the delightful Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, which was a major factor in the .243s huge success. The 6mm AR needs to be sized down from Grendel brass, or fire-formed from 6PPC brass. The 24 Nosler is a terrific performer, so dont let its small size fool you. Each session started with a cold shot at 100 meters confirming zero while showing repeatability out of the bag. We show you how. Because it fires heavier projectilesup to 110 grainsthan the 5.56 at velocities up to 2,800 fps, the 6mm ARC has the ballistics needed to vastly improve the performance of AR-15 rifles without a lot of added weight. I'm pretty sure that the dies were marked 6 BR REM. The second set of data is loaded to a MAP of 62,000 psi, which is stated to be for use with bolt action guns such as the CZ 527. Nearly two dozen rifle makers are already chambering for the round, including Browning, Proof, Christensen, Barrett, Mossberg, and Howa. You are here: Home > AR Parts > AR-15 Parts > AR-15 Upper Parts > AR-15 Barrels > 6MM ARC AR-15 Barrels 6MM ARC AR-15 Barrels Showing 1 - 16 of 16 items Sort By: Go Page of 1 Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Velocity is 2,827 fps, and out of my Browning A-bolt II, it groups into 1.10 inches. I tried a test one time after that ladder test, I decided to eyeball the powder amount in the case. Both hit at around 12 mils, the 6ARC just hit harder. There is no reason that it shouldn't, it is basically a blown out 6mm PPC which is probably the gold standard for accurate cartridges.