Anyone with an average level of fitness should be able to complete an end-to-end, so long as they actively manage their body and dont injure themselves. On my first attempt at hiking the Bibbulmun Track end to end, I was thwarted by very nasty blisters, caused by my boots being slightly too loose and rubbing on my heels. If youre picky about what you eat or you have specific dietary requirements, you can make dried meals with a dehydrator and vacuum sealer, and ship them to yourself along the way. Celebrate our 25th year with an adventure! We have included all campsites, towns, recreation sites and legal vehicle access points as shown by the red car on the Bibbulmun Track maps and guidebooks. If youre an experienced long-distance hiker, you could aim to finish in as little as a month. The following list is what I take on multi-day hikes on the Bibbulmun Track. Hi Emma, The Pingerup Plains between Northcliffe and Mandalay Beach are usually inundated in late winter and spring, but many hikers believe its worth a few days of wading to see their magnificent wildflowers in full bloom. The most well-known is the Gloucester Tree, which is located only a couple of kilometres out of Pemberton.Despite not being very confident about heights, I climbed the Gloucester Tree once in the late 1980s so do not feel the need to climb it again. My basic gear, not including food and water, weighed about 13 kilograms (see the list at the end of this blog). More information can be found in an accommodation and services guide for walkers published by the Friends of the Bibbulmun Track. When buying a backpack, try on as many packs as you can before making a decision, and ask the shop assistant to add weight to them and adjust the straps to fit your body so you can assess how the pack distributes the weight. I waited for my turn, not knowing which of the places on my bucket list to choose. The rest includes a teeny, tiny cooker and gas canister, down jacket, one change of clothes, basic hygiene kit, first aid kit and basic electronics. For example: Kalamunda to Dwellingup was approximately 11 nights, which was too far to carry food the whole way. Hi Ben, I did end to end over 10 years ago, agree with most of what you wrote but for your info, I passed a bloke wearing Dunlop volleys, an american wearing Teva sandals and socks and an Israeli carry a bag of rice. Walking through the massive karri trees as they stretch high above you like a natural cathedral is awe inspiring, and we were lucky enough to see emus and kangaroos, the two native animals on the Commonwealth Coat of Arms. Each of the towns on the Bibbulmun has at least a mini supermarket, but the range is often limited and the prices are high. For gear reviews, I often rely on Outdoor Gear Lab. While I had mapped out many of the places to shop along the way, where I planned to buy certain items, sometimes that didnt work out. My niece is currently on the track and has pre-planned food drops along the way. Embrace it, and figure out what works for you. Those that walk every step of the way can be registered as end-to-enders. ), while still leaving opportunities to add to my lunch & snack supplies. Of course this is all a bit subjective but if there is a lot of unstable rocky ground or long, steep walks uphill then I might be in trouble, Thanks for your quick reply, Andrew. Next time I would dehydrate even more of my own food, specifically dinners if time allowed (they just worked out so well! Spring is really recommended to see all the blooming flowers. The most important item on any hike is a pair of comfortable, well worn-in boots. Most of the towns on the Bibbulmun Track are serviced by buses, but they are infrequent and may need to be booked in advance. Awesome write up thank you! Tank water should be treated, either with a filter, a UV lamp or some chemical treatment method. Bibbulmun Track | Overview - the-life-of-py How big were the towns and what were their supermarkets/food stores/cooperatives like for resupplying? Maps, other guides and information on diversions can be found on the Bibbulmun Track Foundation website. The route is clearly marked out, with signs all along and huts every 10-20 km for hikers to sleep in (well be bringing a tent as a backup). Required fields are marked *. May 27, 2020 thebanksiaburrow Over the last couple of weeks before I left for the Bibbulmun Track, I was up until midnight planning my itinerary, counting sections, cooking up curries, dehydrating meals, weighing portions & allocating food for each day. If you take this option, be warned you WILL get sick of the food you make yourself, so be prepared to improvise. The Bibbulmun Track is a 623mi/1,002km trail that runs near the Southwest coast of Australia from Kalamunda (near Perth) to Albany. Home Trip Planner Distance Calculator. Food planning & resupplying on the Bibbulmun Track! Youll need more if you walk when the water supply is less reliable. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); The Banksia Burrow is a place to build and grow together. Id read an article about the newly aligned Bibbulmun Track that would be opening later in the year, but hadnt thought much more about it. I was happy to eat different mueslis, snacks and lunch meals by the end of the hike. It underwent many changes over the next two decades until, in 1993, work began to turn the Bibbulmun Track into one of the worlds great long distance walks, modelled on the Appalachian Trail in the USA. This is useful for working out how much food you will need for each section and for arranging to meet other people. In this section you will find a brief description of the towns that lie on, or adjacent to, the Track. More to come, I'm sure. It may not have the most spectacular scenery for most of it, but it somehow wins the heart of everyone that hikes it for the pleasant experience. Thanks Kelly! While on the contrary I bought packets of sugary lollies straight from the huge supermarket at home and packed them in my food parcels. At the end of the month, we'll be able to track which format and duration were most effective for us. Mmm, difficult question! There are many businesses and organisations along the entire length of the Track that offer goods and services to help you get the most out of your walk, whether it be for a few hours or an epic end-to-end journey. Travel from Perth Airport to Fremantle for $4.50, Take a walk on the wild side walking the Bibbulmun Track, What to take on a multi-day Bibbulmun Track hike, Follow Local Travel Tips on WordPress.com. Where were the best opportunities to send parcels, such as to my accomodation spots or visitors centres? From Perth, there are a couple of public buses that will take us straight to the Northern Terminus of the Bibbulmun Track in Kalamunda. The solitude and peace on this trail is incredibly unique for one so near civilization. It was quite a process! This includes how to get there, highlights, interesting places, weather forecasts, Track conditions, the Track towns and photos. Each campsite has a three-sided shelter, a water tank, a drop toilet and picnic tables. Since I started using this I havent had a blister. The Bibbulmun Track is one of Australia's famous long distance bush walking trails. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Travel from Perth Airport to Fremantle for $4.50, What to take on a multi-day Bibbulmun Track hike. Our current plan involves only restocking at the towns, although we are also exploring the option of calling upon the Tracks Trail Angels to drop off food on some of the longer, 7+ day stints to reduce our pack weights. I have met a lot of people with the same foot conformation so, if this applies to you, you may need to choose between sore toes or blisters on your heels. How much food you need to take will depend on your metabolism, how long you are walking for, and which section of the track you are doing. It was originally envisaged by keen bushwalker Geoff Schafer, in 1972. Choose a section of the Track for a day of amazing scenery or challenging walks or, if you're game, tackle the whole Track. A practice walk of three or more days should give a good indication of how much food you need, otherwise allow about one kilogram of food per day. Bibbulmun Track Video December 29, 2021. On an excel spreadsheet I mapped out my entire walk highlighting where I was planning to stay each night, how many days I would be on the track, how many nights I would be in each town to provide an overall understanding of where I would be for each day and for each meal. I am planning a walk from Pemberton to Northcliffe in September. In the 1920s, free land was offered to group settlers to establish a dairy industry. There's a chance of no water, with many days the temperatures up in the high 30's, and some days reaching 40C and beyond. Do you keep your phone on you? Google Sheets: Online Spreadsheet Editor | Google Workspace It was a useful meeting in that he gave some good key advice on certain sections and we spoke at length about the inlet crossings to be factored in. Fast forward Finishing the Front Corrugated Iron. Every piece of kit I own has been weighed and weighed up for its usefulness vs. weight. Bibbulmun Track - Wikipedia You need to be a special type of person to live in them and I admire people who thrive in these conditions I know I couldnt. There certainly are! Unless something goes wrong, all your water will come from the tanks at campsites or taps in towns. The Bibbulmun Track walk would technically take more than two months to finish at an average walking pace. Gill Goes Trekking The Bibbulmun Track End to End - Planning By Ben Dickinson. Bushwalk Australia and contributors 2007-2013. I will definitely have to crack down on what I bring in order of importance. People also record their experiences in these registers so, as well as being a safety precaution, they are a useful source of Track intelligence about such things as: missing markers; the condition of the Track; the state of the water supply at the next campsite; big hills en route; flora and fauna to look out for; or the school party that took over the campsite the day before. I decided to see what my heart picked for me when the time came. As with all long distance hiking, the lighter your pack the better your journey will be. The Bibbulmun Track is one of the longest continuously marked trails in Australia, stretching 963 kilometres from Kalamunda, 20 kilometres east of Perth, to Albany on the southern coast of Western Australia. At this time the wild flowers (including orchids) are out, temperatures are moderate, and the streams and water tanks are likely to have plenty of water in them. Right now Im hiking the Via Dinarica trail through the Balkans, beautiful!! as we pass through the eight track towns along the route, but other than that will be camping out in the specially designated campsites for Thru-hikers with only the snakes for company. I currently have a fracture of my fifth metatarsal which will heal by then but I am wondering about the steepness of the terrain, especially near the Gloucester tree, and also the unevenness of the ground. Northcliffe Walpole: Pack everything (except breakfast), dehydrating my own food & post to Northcliffe Visitors Centre to reach Walpole. The current incarnation of the Bibbulmun Track was opened to the public in September 1998. It doesnt do much to help the toe nail situation though! The Bibbulmun Track often has temporary diversions and permanent realignments for various reasons, which can extend the distance to be walked on any day. Theres all kinds out there, Best thing I have ever done. 4WD campers have the luxury of an engine with a few hundred horsepower to lug all their gear around, while hikers only have their own two legs. I tried to allow at least one rest day in each town to stock up on supplies, do my washing, shower, eat and, most importantly, rest. Thats literally just a petrol station with very basic, expensive options, although it does have an attached cafe so you can have at least one decent hot meal. It was another early settler who arrived a year later, Pemberton Walcott, who gave the town its name. What to take on a multi-day Bibbulmun Track hike However, walking with too heavy a pack will also be uncomfortable. Buying food along the way also allowed me to get meals that I wanted to eat at the time, instead of having to make those choices months in advance. If you ever come this way let me know so I can return the favour Slower Hiking 12/9/22 Slower Hiking 12/9/22. There was a cooperative in Pemberton I didnt know about! Pingback: Dreaming of the Next Adventure Introducing the Bibbulmun Track Lifeone big adventure, Your email address will not be published. A great option to have when the rain hits. This well blazed trail travels through many national parks and state forests with various terrain that ranges from dense forest to beautiful coastland. WA Parks Foundation Chair the Hon Kerry Sanderson AC CVO with Board Director Eva Skira AM hiking on the Bibbulmun Track. The Bibbulmun Track is a long-distance walk trail in Western Australia.. Luckily, the huts along the way collect rainwater, so well always have a supply of drinking water once we have purified it. The WA Parks Foundation is running two prize draws online throughout March to encourage membership to help support the Foundations, Dark Sky Festival celebrates total solar eclipse, The Dark Sky Festival from 19 to 21 April will take place in the Shires of Ashburton, Carnarvon and Exmouth, Signing up to protect endangered black cockatoos, Murdoch University is working closely with Main Roads Western Australia on projects to minimise the impact of motorists and road. If you are doing more than a day walk on the Track, you will need to take a lot of equipment: sleeping gear, cooking equipment and food, a change of clothing, basic toiletries, a first aid kit and maybe a tent. If you want to get the most out of your Bibbulmun Track walk, use it as an opportunity to explore the South Coast of Western Australia . I have since found a fabulous tape called fixumol, which I put on my heels and toes at the start of a hike as a preventative measure and add more of as hot-spots begin to develop. Track Angels are locals that support hikers on the track - whether they be end to enders like us, or just doing sections of it - with food drops, accommodation, advice and lifts. Collie Donnelly River Village: Purchase all of my food from the Collie supermarkets & Balingup shops to reach Donnelly River Village.