That is, the program raked in a net profit of $187,696 for the school. In addition to his DSU coaching duties, Ferriss also served at various intervals as Athletic Director and Director of the DSU Foundation. Coach made such a strong impression, not just about baseball and sports but about life and planning for your future, Kinnison said decades later. Making matters worse, Kinnison had spent the previous summer away from baseball. Mr. and Mrs. Bill Hamilton, Jr Published: Apr. Under his direction, 20 Delta State players earned All-American honors, 20 earned Academic All-American honors, 49 earned All-Gulf South Conference honors, 23 continued their baseball careers onto the professional level, and 40 former players coached in the high school and college ranks. Mr. and Mrs. Laurence Mellen Itawamba CC. 38733 Main Office Phone: 662-846-4300 Staff Directory Members By Category/Department Sticky bar vs. Itawamba CC. Wapahani, BSU grad Devin Wilburn tabbed as Delta's head baseball coach Posted in Delta State University. In fact, he played for former major-leaguer and University of Texas Coach Bibb Falk in a league that was probably more talented than the Piedmont League. Delta State University. Dr. and Mrs. Bradley B. Teague In addition to coaching at Delta State, Ferriss also served at various times as athletic director and director of the DSU Foundation. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. If you do not have an existing account, you can also easily use an existing Google, Facebook or Apple account. I think youve got to kind of have that mix.". His parents had come to Mississippi from Virginia and Kentucky. Once with the Boston Red Sox, Ferriss began that remarkable stretch in which he won his first eight starts. Then you need to attend a . Ferriss retired following the completion of the 1988 season, but he continues to be a tireless supporter at all levels of baseball throughout the state and especially his beloved Statesmen. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hughes Baseball Coach Mike Kinnison discusses 2016-17 season The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total. As a student-athlete, Harvey helped the Statesmen to the 1977 & 1978 College World Series, and the 1978 and 1979 Gulf South Conference Championships. Dr. and Mrs. Gary Bouse Mr. and Mrs. C. Newt Willis Staff Directory - Delta State University Athletics This is a bit of a downer since it means that the program lost money, $-137,673 to be exact. Category:Delta State Statesmen baseball coaches - Wikipedia James and Billie Breland That same season, Ferriss won twenty-five games and lost only six, pitching twenty-six complete games and six shutouts. She has financially supported several students with gifts and scholarships over the years in their pursuit of secondary and higher education. His major league record was 65-30. Assistant Baseball Coach - Mississippi Delta Community College Harvey received the Lawrence L. Stewart Service Award in April, 2015 for his support of Delta State athletics. Hes the best., Ferriss said, Thats all water under the bridge. When he played for Boo Ferriss, Mike Kinnison (left) got a hitting lesson from none other than Ted Williams, a Baseball Hall of Fame and perhaps the greatest hitter who ever lived. I looked around and saw about 70 guys there and thats when it dawned on me that I was a little bitty fish in great big pond.. You want to know about Boo Ferriss? Hes the one that built the program to what it has become and hes still there today, doing anything and everything he can to make it better.. Ms. Elizabeth Fike But I kept thinking about it and I knew I was going to have to get a job any way to help pay for school. Mr. and Mrs. Bruce Holder In baseball, he pitched right-handed and played first base left-handed. Leagues. As a rookie in 1945, Ferriss won twenty-one games for an otherwise forgettable Red Sox team that finished in seventh place in an eight-team league. Delta State baseball is special, Lyons said. Wilson said he was "born into" baseballwith his father and uncle both playing college ball. That summer, right-handed Ferriss learned to throw the ball left-handed. [10], In the fall of 2003, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame announced its sponsorship of an annual Mississippi Collegiate Baseball Player of the Year award, and that the trophy would bear Ferriss' name and likeness. He said he would call Coach Ferriss.. Mr. and Mrs. Gale Davis, Jr The mens swimming and diving program at Delta State University made $362,872 in revenue and spent $175,176 in expenses. Delta Reds II Mr. Chester Norris The only way I could even toss the ball was underhand, he said. You never had to tell him twice to do anything., Kinnison remembers that Ferriss never failed to thank him for all that work. Mr. Richard Cuicchi You know, its important for him, being local and having those connections and wanting to see our youth program do well and know that thats the future of his program, as well.". He continues to serve his University, as an active member of the National Alumni Association and currently as Foundation Board President. Courtesy Mississippi Department of Archives and History. This is great since many college sports programs lose money. In Grisham's "The Kindest Cut," the author details his time at Delta State and how coach Ferriss handled the difficult task of cutting the would-be outfielder. The two form a two-man mutual admiration society. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. I hated telling a boy that he couldnt play the game he loved. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. 196 sold. Instead of taking batting practice, Kinnison shagged balls for others. Mr. and Mrs. John L. Pearson Robby General covers East Central Indiana high school sportsfor The Star Press. Today, coach Ferriss continues to champion the cause of collegiate baseball across Mississippi and the U.S. He was fired in 2013 after a 11-40 season. https://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/index.php?title=Bubba_Cates&oldid=808728, Scores from any date in Major League history, Minor, Foreign, College, & Black Baseball, Frequently Asked Questions about MLB and Baseball. On July 19, 2021, he was approved as Delta's head baseball coach out of a double-digit applicant pool, according to athletic director Tilmon Clark. Forty-nine of his players earned All-Gulf South Conference honors. Mr. Hunter Cade Mrs. Katherine Batenhorst Mr. and Mrs. Lee Jordan . One of those came from the Statesmen baseball team. First National Bank of Clarksdale Mr. Judson Thigpen This category is for people who have coached college baseball at Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi. DELTA DEVILS CALENDAR VIEW COMPOSITE CALENDAR Baseball February 26 | Final vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff WIN 16 - 3 Final Baseball vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff February 26, 2023 12 p.m. Mr. Tom Waring Mr. and Mrs. Raymond M. Hale III Director of Athletics Ronnie Mayers and Director of Alumni Affairs Jeffrey Farris updated the group on the exciting things happening on campus. 3-Rock Farms Partnership Mr. Bob Reed, Jr. Mr. Calvin Wells, Gale Davis & Company Inc. When Ferriss took over the baseball program in 1960 he started it from the ground level. At age 25, ruggedly handsome Dave Boo Ferriss was a strapping, raw-boned powerhouse, standing 6 feet 2 inches and weighing 208 pounds. Fri Apr 07. After receiving the trophy, Kinnison leaped into the grandstand, bounded up the bleachers, and presented the trophy to a teary-eyed Ferriss. "Thats obviously not super realistic, but for me its laying the foundation for what we want. The group enjoyed lunch downtown with their former coach, the legendary Boo Ferriss, and his wife Miriam. His 1985 team was ranked No. Mr. Tommy Crenshaw Baseball truly was the Mississippi Deltas pastime in the 1920s and 1930s. As he delivered the pitch, Ferriss felt something snap in his shoulder. Mrs. Henri Kennard East Mississippi Community College. Mr. Jackie Joe Davis Delta State football head coach Todd Cooley has received a four-year contract extension through the 2024 season, the university announced. They receive, on average, about $3,743 in sports-related student aid to attend Delta State University. He soaked it all in all that and more. Rev. Still, Kinnison figured that when he went back to school, he would be going back to be a manager. Ms. Stella Corley Updated: Jun 11, 2019 / 03:07 AM CDT. He was in the major leagues. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. Ferriss then compiled a 256 record (the best in the AL) that helped the Red Sox win the AL pennant in 1946. Mr. Mickey Thompson This means the program turned a profit, making $101,394 for the school. William Worsham We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Chris Burgess 83 of Ridgeland, and Barry Lyons 84 of Ocean Springs, with former Statesmen baseball coach Boo Ferriss at The Warehouse in downtown Cleveland. From 1993-1998, he had at least one All-American each year, one of only 3 junior colleges in the USA to do so. Mr. Robert and Ms. Karen Naron Wilburn returned to Indiana in 2020 where he, once again, served as an assistant on Taylor's staff. Mr. Edward Broome "I care more about the kid off the field then I do one the field. He was inducted into the Mississippi Semi-Pro Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981 and to the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame in 2002. Mr. and Mrs. Will J. It was a pride thing. Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Giger While Wilburn said the wins and losses will come if you do things the right way, Clark said he believes Wilburn canprovide a "spark" to the baseball program right away. He retired from Delta State in 1988 and became the schools most avid fan and chief fundraiser. The head coaching job at Delta High School is one that Devin Wilburn has had circled in his mind. I didnt have anything., It is no great stretch to say that such catastrophic misfortune as Ferriss suffered in 1947 would have ruined lesser men. Save the date for this years Pig Pickin (Sept.24) and Homecoming (Oct. 15). Mr. and Mrs. James Tims I had never in my life hit off a pitching machine. I want my son to be like that man. Mr. Brad Lightsey He, more than anyone, deserves this moment., In the fall of 2004, Ferriss watched as his beloved Boston Red Sox won their first World Series since 1918. 1 in the nation for several weeks in the NCAA Division II poll. Mr. and Mrs. William N. LaForge Photograph of Ferriss is from the 1965 Delta State yearbook, The Broom. The Shaw, Miss., native spent 46 years in baseball on the collegiate and professional levels, including 26 seasons at Delta State. Mr. William Nettles In the summer of 1944, Ferriss finished the season with a 20-8 pitching record and also won the league batting title with a .417 average, nosing out St. Louis Cardinals star and future Hall of Famer Enos Country Slaughter, who batted .414. He played, coached, and umpired baseball, and always took Little Boo with him. Mrs. Carol Tatum He is a 1989 inductee into the Delta State University Sports Hall of Fame and is a member of the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and the Mississippi State University Sports Hall of Fame. Bubba Cates - BR Bullpen - Baseball-Reference.com Your browser does not support JavaScript! The story of how Boo Ferriss got his nickname is typical of how nicknames are created across the South: When he was a toddler, he tried to get the attention of Will D., his older brother. Find out more. DII Baseball Championship History | NCAA.com Delta State was a much more advanced program than anything I had ever seen, Kinnison said. He and his father had decided that he would play his junior season at State, and then sign a contract with a professional team. Dot Evans Out of those losses, however, 11 of them came by four runs or less, including a two-run loss to eventual sectional champion Hamilton Heights in the postseason. Copyright 2023 Mississippi Historical Society Marchant, who played baseball at Delta State from 1965 to 1969, chose to become a Statesman because of former Red Sox pitcher and legendary DSU coach Dave "Boo" Ferriss. He served in that capacity from 1955 until 1959, when he accepted a job to become the baseball coach and athletic director at Delta State in Cleveland, Mississippi. The head coach and 2 assistant coaches train and lead the 10 players of the Delta State University womens tennis team. Ms. Lana Aguzzi Total Zone Rating and initial framework for Wins above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith. The baseball program at Delta State University made $592,592 in revenue and spend $451,844 in expenses. After military service he joined the Boston Red Sox in 1945 where he spent 10 years in the organization (five years as a pitcher and five years as the pitching coach). I just couldnt imagine life without baseball.. We present them here for purely educational purposes. Boston and Cleveland were scoreless with the hometown Indians batting in the bottom of the seventh inning. here If you do not have an existing account, you can also easily register or login with an existing Google, Facebook or Apple account. Baseball alumni reunite on campus - News and Events Schwab Charitable Fund 5151 On the money side of things, the Delta State University womens basketball program brought home $275,480 in revenue and paid out $413,153 in total expenses. He pitched still another shutout in the 1946 World Series. Deltaalso graduatedseven seniors, all of whom either started or played significant innings for the Eagles. Bio. I think this is, hopefully, going to be a long-term job for me. In May 2004, the 82-year-old Ferriss watched from the stands as Kinnisons Delta State Statesmen finally won a national championship. Ferriss compiled a career record of 6530, and shares the MLB record for consecutive home wins to start a season (13, in 1946). So, basically, the school broke even - but thats a whole lot better than losing money! Robinson Electric Company In February 1945, he was given his medical discharge from the Army. Mr. Brady Jones Baseball was what I loved, Kinnison said. The 10-player mens tennis team at Delta State University is kept in shape by one head coach and 2 assistant coaches. This category is for people who have coached college baseball at Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi . Mr. and Mrs. David Abney, 2015 Delta State University | All Rights Reserved Mr. and Mrs. Christopher M. Burgess Such an injury, a torn cartilage in the shoulder, would be repaired with arthroscopic surgery and the pitcher would only miss the rest of the season. Mr. Hubert Rackley, III Mrs. Susanne Blalock His first organized game was one to remember. Harvey still holds the career record for triples (14) and walks (140), and is tied for the single-game hits record with six. You cant take much batting practice in the Gulf of Mexico. Mr. and Mrs. Harry L. Lott, Mr. and Mrs. Ronald G. Mayers The Statesmen won 40 or more games 15 times in his tenure, reached the NCAA Division II World Series six. If asked to name the most famous, the most successful baseball pitchers in history, most sports enthusiasts would name Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Roger Clemens . University of Southern Mississippi (1997). Mr. Ricky Perkins Mr. and Mrs. Eddie S. Wilson here . His teams won four Gulf South Conference championships, three National Collegiate Athletic Association, or NCAA, regional titles, and placed second once and third twice in the College World Series. Ms. Michelle Baron Delta State retires Kinnison's jersey; they'll never retire his That was in 1973 and I remember thinking even then that Coach Ferriss would be a great person to play for.. American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame, "Boo Ferriss: These 'Dogs are hair-raising", "Boston Red Sox 2, Philadelphia Athletics 0 (1)", "Ferriss pitching feat makes headlines again", "Coach Dave 'Boo' Ferriss to be conferred with honorary degree at Delta State's Spring Commencement", "Delta State University - Ferriss Museum", "Baseball Fans will Help Decide Who will be the Next C Spire Ferriss Trophy Winner Honoring Mississippi's Top College Baseball Player", "A Life Well-Lived: Coach Boo Ferriss (Dec. 5, 1921 - Nov. 24, 2016)", "Former Red Sox All-Star David 'Boo' Ferriss dies at 94", Dugout to Foxhole: Interviews with Baseball Players Whose Careers Were Affected by World War II. Delta State University Sports Hall of Fame, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dave_Ferriss&oldid=1134516361, United States Army Air Forces personnel of World War II, Louisville Colonels (minor league) players, Mississippi State Bulldogs baseball players, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. 3 7 18 Mississippi Valley State Athletics Mr. James Flack, II Dr. and Mrs. Bryce Griffis In college baseball 40-win seasons are considered the gold standard. His line drives became gappers. If you are an existing Print subscriber click. Instructor of Physical Education and Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach Dr. Clyde Muse Free shipping. [2] After an early discharge in February 1945 due to asthma, Ferriss was assigned by the Red Sox to the Louisville Colonels, although he did not appear in a game with them. G Greg Goff M Rick McCarty Categories: Delta State Statesmen baseball Mrs. Joyce Kennedy ALL-STAR UNIVERSAL BASEBALL CATCHER/COACH SKULL CAP - ONE SIZE FITS ALL. 15 jersey will be retired at Delta State Saturday. Instead of fielding ground balls, Kinnison smoothed the infield so others could. He was at the top of his game in an era when baseball was Americas sport. ", Clark added: "What excites me the most about coach Wilburn is his excitement and passion for wanting to build a program from bottom to top. Dr. and Mrs. William L. Hood On the plus side, this means that the program made $54,717 in net profit for the school. Cary, N.C. 2013. Im not going to lie to you. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. I learned about the science of growing grass, the different chemicals you use. When the Red Sox started slowly in 1945, Ferriss was called up and made a spectacular major league debut with a five-hit shutout against the Athletics on April 29. I just figure the good Lord had other plans for me.. All State Games. Pitching for the Boston Red Sox in the 1945, 1946, and halfway into the 1947 seasons, Ferriss was the toast of Boston and the most dominant pitcher in the American League. One of the graduate assistant coaches heard him and jumped on it. Mr. Rick Cleveland Mr. and Mrs. Barney Chiz Baseball. Dave "Boo" Ferriss died Thursday morning, Nov. 24, at the age of 94, leaving behind an unimpeachable legacy as one of the game's great champions in the state before, during and after his. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Delta State University Bachelor's degreePhysical Education Teaching and Coaching 2005 - 2008 Activities and Societies: Kappa Alpha Psi Hinds Community College Associate of Arts (A.A.)Art/Art. Mark this down as a good thing. With the assistance of legendary Delta State baseball coach Boo Ferriss, Buckner helped organize the original FCA chapter on the MSU campus. Mr. Dan King Dr. Ron Hogan Mrs. Brenda Dean Mr. and Mrs. George Dennis Short Not all college sports teams can say that. Mr. Casey Myrick Mr. Walter Barrett, Jr. And little David Meadow Ferriss, born December 5, 1921, had a new name. Baseball | President LaForge He is a frequent speaker at civic clubs across the state, and he never misses an opportunity to watch his Statesmen play baseball. Some defensive statistics Copyright Baseball Info Solutions, 2010-2022. Mr. and Mrs Ed Phillips Ole Miss and Alabama had offered half scholarships. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel P. Davis For the longest time, he was Little Boo. Ferriss went on to become a high school star athlete in football, basketball, baseball, and tennis at Shaw. "Its just kind of one of those things where youre trying to find the right fit and the right opportunity and Deltas a really good school, a really good school system and its got a baseball program that a lot of people care about it," Wilburn said. More about our data sources and methodologies. Hes the guy who laid the foundation. TicketReturn Ticketing Systems Software Photo courtesy Boston Red Sox. I wasnt ready to go home.. The head coach and 2 assistant coaches train and lead the 33 players of the Delta State University mens soccer team. Mr. and Mrs. Brent Leach This one just kind of felt like a no-brainer for us and, luckily, for me and my family, it worked out perfectly.". Farmers worked hard and played hard. Planters Bank & Trust Company (Cleveland) The bases were loaded with two outs. Former Delta State baseball standout Brian Rea, currently the baseball coach at Ocean Springs, was recently announced as a new member of DSU's sports hall of fame. This is great since many college sports programs lose money. United States. Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Davidson I saw the pride Coach had in the field and how it looked. But baseball was his passion, and major-league scouts noticed his prodigious skills early on. There are 51 players on the Delta State University mens baseball team, and they are led by one head coach and 3 assistant coaches. Lucy Harris, a post player, was 6-foot-3. Copyright 2000-2022 Sports Reference LLC. I was where I always wanted to be. [10] Ferriss returned to Delta State in mid-1968, and he again served as head coach from 1970 until retiring after the 1988 season. Smith, Jr. High near 70, with temperatures falling to around 64 in the afternoon. . Mr and Mrs William R Wade III Mr. Jimmy Wilson Mr. Freddie Chiles Preference will be given to candidates with successful coaching, teaching, and recruiting experience at the college level. So, the program was a moneymaker for the school, bringing in $140,748 in net profit. Baseball is Delta pastime Ferriss was born in Shaw, Mississippi, at the beginning of the Roaring Twenties. Ferris died Thursday at the age of 94. Nancy graduated with honors with a BSE in Elementary Education. She was elected to and served as an officer of Kappa Delta Pi, an Education Honor Society and was chosen by the faculty as a Faculty Scholar and included in Whos Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. Black Harvey-Ferriss Dedication - Notable Events Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Ainsworth