Organised by myself, the whole process, (which started nearly a year ago) was dealt with by the very patient and accommodating Mrs B. Kunekune pigs are smart and loving creatures, and they can make great pets as long as you're able to provide them with the proper needs and environment. Control of Biting Insects on Pigs | The Pig Site If you have a small piece of property and want a pig that the neighbors will find less objectionable, the Kunekune may be a good choice. We ended up with Kunekune X Mangalitsa crosses this year. Kune Kune pigs have very short snouts (they are the pugs of pigs) and prefer to graze rather than root. So how did they get to New Zealand and are now connected to . Once the piglets and mother pig are fighting over the food, the piglets can be removed to ensure that they get adequate feed. Thank you, thank you, thank you xx. Some Kunekunes have wattles while others do not. Kunekune 101: Shelter, Seasonal Considerations and Fencing Babies are a whole other story. In most instances, with proper care and nutrition, they will experience longer lifespans as pets than they do in a farm-like environment. These pigs are less smelly than some other pigs, and they need less space. At the age of 6 to 7 months, the kunekune pigs become fertile and start breeding new litters. They are genetically similar to the Old Poland Breed from China. What a great find! All the staff were friendly and the venue is clearly very flexible as the. Food is delicious, Mr & Mrs B are wonderful hosts, the. Even with the 2 dogs running round, nothing was too much and we always felt welcome. Kunekune pigs were first bred from wild boar, and they were brought to New Zealand by the Maori people. The party barn is fab and whilst we made a lot of noise there were never any complaints (we did check!) Ben January 10, 2021 livestock, pigs ethical omnivore, grassfed grazing pigs. It is soo peaceful. When I first got into researching about Kunekunes, I was full of questions. The scavenger hunt was great fun and suitable for all ages, our youngest was 3 and she loved running around the countryside collecting the 'blue diamonds' There are no such breeds of pig called 'micro', 'teacup' or 'miniature'. Awesome break away such a loverly setting ,the views are to die for .the family that run this place are genuine nice. Pronounced "koo-nee koo-nee," (which translates to "fat and round"), these pigs have very similar care requirements to pet pot-bellied pigs. If you want to raise a little meat for your family, but you dont eat tons of pork, Kunekune might be the perfect choice. They are native to New Zealand. NYE everyone was so friendly. The facilities were everything we needed. Official Website: https://keeneye123.wixsite.com/falconefamilyfarm. A new study with Kune Kune pigs, has now shown for the first time that pigs do learn from each other. If you don't have enough space to accommodate a 200-pound pig, then you shouldn't get a kunekune. They love having a fuss made of them and will lie for hours while you rub their tummies. The Kunekune pig is also very easy to handle, especially if you have established a good relationship with them. Book now you won't regret it xx. Males its best to wait until theyre at least 12 months old. Just spent the weekend at Barnutopia for a hen weekend. Nothing was too much trouble and were always happy to help! I rarely write reviews and I think this is my first on Facebook. Bathroom with a decent shower is located in the main house along with a room to the use of the internet on a laptop etc as the WiFi doesn't quite stretch to the yurt we were in. Yorkshire Pig: Are These Big, Friendly Pigs Right for Your Farm? We made full use of the Party barn and facilities, including Pizzas, cooked breakfasts and pancakes and we had a huge BBQ on the Sunday where no one went hungry Pigs are notorious for spilling their water regardless of the weather. Scavenger hunt was so much fun. They come in a massive array of colors. Also, Kunekune hogs make great lard. Im desperate to go back and if the weather could be guaranteed, Id spend the whole of our summer holidays there. Stay tuned for the first newsletter in the morning, straight to your inbox. Those that are not should preferably be taken out of the gene pool. Some dont dig at all. They will also need plenty of clean, clear water available at all times and may drink up to 10 liters a day. Breakfast was delicious especially the famous pancakes. Kunekune pigs are little. Privacy Policy, Disclosures and Affiliate Disclosure, Desire to care for them daily care is required, Plan for addressing illnesses should they arise, Structure and soundness, including superior mammary system. Feeding your Kunekune Pig - Halbert Farm Waterer: Water is very important when it comes to pigs. Although wild . Fabulous! The only time I've found them testing a fence is at mealtime to budge ahead of one of . Gestation: 116 days. Well what can I say It was great From start to finish Katrina and her staff are so. Any worries were quickly managed by them, considering I expected it to be fully DIY and left to our own devices, Katrina and Steve were not only present to help make sure things ran smoothly, they were also fabulous company and great at counselling us through our nerves! We can not wait for our 2023 wedding season to get, Cabin Connie We've just returned from a fantastic weekend away at Barnutopia. They can grow up to be about 4 feet (1.2 metres long) and between 130 220 lbs (60 to 100 Kg). Beautiful spot, great views, and sundowner! A female that doesnt breed when shes in season may get bad tempered. The weather was brilliant and even when the heavens opened later in the evening, everything was in hand. Kunekune pigs live for about 20 years. Especially if youre after registered stock. Do I eat my pigs? As far as pigs go, Kunekune are easy on fences. Many times the chops and pork steaks resemble beef more than pork. So, they tend to poop outside. The ears of the Kunekune pig can be erect or semi erect. Kune Kune Pigs are GRASS EATERS that DO NOT root up your yard and also eat forage/orchard/alfalfa. Kunekune pigs are generally smaller than many other kinds of pigs. Most beautiful setting. They have to be wormed every 6 months by giving an injection you can do yourself. Just home from another fantastic stay. Not all Kunekune have these "piri piris" that hang around their jaw. A big group of us stayed at barnutopia over a weekend in November. X, My little family had an amazing time at Barnutopia over Christmas. Kunekune pigs cost around the same as Vietnamese Potbellied pigs do. Discuss your pig's diet with your veterinarian and avoid feeding them extra treats, like table scraps. Get your pig moving at least once a day, whether that's searching for their food, doing puzzles (ones typically geared towards dogs work great), or exploring their outdoor pen. Catering was superb and the accommodation was incredible. Since their main diet is grass, they thrive when they can come and go in a secure fenced-in area (often with a live wire) and sleep on sawdust or another kind of bedding in a well-ventilated shelter. Generally, you do not need to assist in this natural process or provide them with a haircut. Do I regret getting them? So many memories made and two boys in tears on the way home asking me to turn around and go back! Pay close attention to their coat and check periodically for sicks of parasitesany evidence of fleas or ticks should be removed as soon as possible and treated by a professional. Just returned from a fabulous weekend away at Barnutopia with a group of girls Katrina & Steve have a great venue, they are fab hosts and nothing was too much trouble Facilities were all close to hand, with everything clean and homely. 1 year - 1.5 years ~ 1 3/4 cup twice a day. While many breeders do give their young pigs a bit of grain during their growing years, it is a relatively small amount, like 2 cups per day per pig. You can process on my property if you want. Pigs only sweat from their snouts, so it can be difficult for them to regulate their body temperature. Pancakes were amazing! Originating from New Zealand, they have a very mellow and laid-back temperament. Hopefully, it grows back. Iron can be administered by injection in the first day or two. If they get too hot, they will roll around in the mud to keep their bodies cool and keep the flies from biting them. Thanks so much Steve and Katrina. We will definitely be back! Seizures in pastured swine - Ask Extension . Additionally, all types of pigs like to root around for food with their snouts, which can potentially cause them to knock over objects in your home or destroy your yard in the process. Thanks Craig, Carla and Cohen x, We cannot thank you enough for the unbelievable weekend we had to celebrate Laura's 30th. A fab place for a gathering of friends / family, would recommend highly to anyone looking for somewhere to go either as a group or family. beautiful views and scenery all around. You can also filter pigs by breed. If you're looking for a pet Kune for a very small child, get a couple of piglets from a Miniature Kunekune breeder. Keep up the amazing work , What an amazing venue, had our wedding renewal here last weekend 22nd June, such a spectacular place, Katrina and Steve, were so helpful and professional making the whole weekend go with ease amazing! Provided you dont take them anywhere, they dont need any vaccinations. What Do Kunekune Pigs Eat? - The Tilth I can think of a few animalsin addition to kunekune, but nothing better. A smaller slower growing pig would be able to be handled by my 3 year old longer (he is quite a mature little 3 year old almost 4 year old little farmer ;). The best thing about Barnutopia however has to be Steve and Katrina. Her farrowing pen should be dry and warm. A huge thank you to the team at Barnutopia we had the best time yummy food, amazing back drop and laughs a plenty ! Kune Kune - Description, Habitat, Image, Diet, and Interesting Facts Massive thank you to Katrina, Steve, and family for making us so welcome. Thank you looking forward to booking sometime this year. The fat also helps seal in moisture and flavor when the meat is cooked. Theyre quite trainable and get to know routines and people. Alternatively, you can feed them rich alfalfa hay to provide for their protein needs. Some homesteaders use it for making soap. We will definitely be back . . Another thing to remember is that these pigs are very social critters. Where do we start, we were fortunate enough to host our wedding here, fabulous weekend from start to, finish! They can get about 4 feet (1.2 meters long) and weigh about 130 - 220 lbs (60 to 100 Kg), with the males weighing considerably heavier than females. Town close by in. . where on earth they get their energy from?! . These days, they are raised as pets or livestock. We purchased a breeding pair of kunekune last spring. We have just run a wonderful 5 day camp at Barnutopia, Steve & Katrina & their family couldn't have been more helpful. Without that verification there is no certainty your pig is 100% Kunekune. Some may dig a little. Kunekune come in a variety of colours; solid or combinations of black, brown, blond, ginger and white. These types of breeds are prone to get fat easily, so do be . These have the smaller, shorter snouts like Kunekunes and were made so they could graze rather than root up pasture. Brilliant place, loved every minute, can't wait to return! Another individual mentioned crushed piglets as being a genetic thing. KuneKunes can eat all vegetables including, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, and lettuce. Barnutopia is so tranquil and it was bliss to get away from everything in the beautiful countryside. We hope to come back soon. We all had an amazing time and would recommend it to, anyone. What is Spoiled Pig Syndrome - Ground Feeders This, family run buisness is so inviting and nestled in a gorgeous part of the country, Treat yourself . The views of rolling green hills from the farm are spectacular and when the sun comes out there is nowhere quite like Barnutopia. 706 936 38 76 Rey . Overall, a brilliant stay. Weve just gotten back from our vow renewal at Barnutopia, even after a long wait due to, covid and the rain we had an amazing time. Quote from the children we loved it, we had an amazing time How Long Do Kunekune Pigs Live - answersdetail.com Wow wow wow, I cannot recommend this enough, just got back after a two night stay, and cannot wait to return! Thank you so much! Available Colors: Kunes come in all sorts of colors including black, ginger, cream, spotted, gold tipped, tri-colored . How big do Dandie pigs get? - Celeberinfo Love the yurts, best night sleep in ages! She will begin nesting to create an area where she will give birth. Some folks view kunekune pigs as impractical for meat production. . Farrowing huts should be roughly 7.5 by 5 feet. Fab place The sow's milk is a complete food for the piglets except for it lacks iron. However, two wildlife park owners saved the breed. Some dig a lot. Kunekune sows are wonderful mothers. Kune Kune Pig. We have stayed in Stable Stephanie and the lodge cabin. Nothing was a bother and children felt free. Some final tips are simply keeping the momma pig calm and staying out of her way. animals are adorable.. especially Fiona & Felix! Katarina and Steve are great hosts and. As with any kind of pet, ethically owning an animal often comes down to whether or not you can provide it with what it needs to thrive. The hair can be smooth and silky, curly, or coarse and rough. Maintaining your pig's hair is less complicated than it may seem. Buy at least two Kunekune pigs, so they will be happier and better behaved. Most challenging of all will be keeping them mentally stimulated and ensuring you have the proper (and large enough) environment for them. It seems to me that our little piece of Shropshire, which happens to be *just* over the border from Powys, Wales, is the perfect spot for a couple of kunekune pigs. romantic, cosy feel in beautiful surroundings, We're just back from a wonderful few days of glamping and wedding celebrations at Barnutopia. The Importance of Minerals in Your Pastured Pigs' Diet A minimum shelter size for 2 pigs would be roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Would highly recommend and we will be coming back for summer. Heres a summary of my findings: Our kunekune pigs, Felix (ginger) and Fiona, Glamping holidays Thanks, Just returned from a 5 night break with my 3 boys aged 8, 15 & 17. As is a castrated boar and a female (gilt). The Barnutopia staff are very, welcoming and accomodating plus they make you feel like are part of the family there. Keeping Kune Kune Pigs on a Homestead - Fantail Valley Homestead A couple of showers but otherwise brilliant. Super chilled, super beautiful! They can dehydrate very quickly if they run out. As olly put it, " I don't want to leave "! Its not worth it and the welds tend to come loose. It is especially plentiful in areas that have been used for horses. Would highly recommend a visit! Although both breeds are true grazing pigs, the piglets mature at much different rates. Kune Kune pigs are smaller and slower growing than the Yorkshire Landrace. Thank you! Kunekune Pigs: The Essential Guide | Pet Pig World