There was no sign of forced entry in the house and nothing was missing, making it unlikely Susan Hamilton, who was 55, was killed by a burglar. When Susan's ex-husband learned of her murder -- and the domestic melodrama about the cell phone log -- he thought he knew right away what had happened. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. His supporters, on the other hand, continue to believe he is innocent to this day. By 9:30, he was scrubbing up for the operation -- a complicated removal of a tumor. And, Bradbury says, he didn't see any signs that the doctor had even attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. she hadn't done before. Multi-directional blood spatters or spatters of blood coming from different directions reflecting movement were discovered on the defendant's shoes, but not on the slacks he was wearing, Lane said. Randy Scott: John Hamilton was just not the victim's spouse that we were seein'. In murder cases constructed on the interpretation of blood evidence, it's not unusual for juries to hear from dueling experts when they go to trial. she needed when she couldn't David Bradbury: He had one hand on her chest, one hand on her abdomen, attempting to do compressions in this manner right here. The attacker poured cleaning solution in the drain in an attempt to prevent investigators finding blood in the shower, the investigator said. It started out negative. Mack Martin: I never saw anything to indicate that John said, "If I can't have you, nobody can.". I do not think that John's havin' an affair. One of their arguments was that Tom Bevel should never have been allowed to testify. Susan Hamilton's body was found on Steve Jimerson: Oh, they were la-la. In this case, though, the spouse had an alibi, and a good one. John Hamilton and Alliena And-- my children started, "Well, I'll never celebrate it again." Still, there was the doctor's seemingly solid alibi. Melanie Martinez is a talented singer. The first-degree murder charge accuses Dr. John Baxter Hamilton, 52, an obstetrician and gynecologist, in the beating and strangulation death of his wife, Susan Shibley Hamilton, 55. Dr. Hamilton had a more simple explanation for being late. Why do you do that? Rob Nigh: Either Tom Bevel lied to the defense about what his testimony would be or defense counsel took a risk that should never be taken. What motive? We're going to vigorously, steadfastly and as carefully and conscientiously as possible defend this case to the very end. Lane looked for signs of spousal abuse in the past, but couldn't find anything substantive. would put together a novel theory of just what happened between husband and wife, something maybe grimly fitting for Valentine's Day. talked to Susan Johnston, a The couple had exotic vacations and a beautiful house, and after 14 years of marriage, friends and family say they were inseparable, and very much in love. Susan, in particular, became entangled with neckties, resulting in a severe head injury. If convicted, he could be sentenced to prison for life with or without the possibility of parole. Year should not be greater than current year. If convicted, he could be What happened to him? But knew she wasn't one easily rattled or intimidated. Dr. Steve Jimerson -- a colleague of John's -- was best man. As is routine in domestic murders, the detectives would take a look at the spouse -- John Hamilton, himself. And oh! "It was a shock to everybody, Hamilton said on the news program. Mack Martin: The focus was always on John. But the most damning blood evidence of all, may have been found in the doctor's car. And in photos of the crime scene, the prosecutor pointed out for jurors something that needed explaining -- a wet rag left in the pool of blood from the victim's head. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. In TV interview, Oklahoma doctor says he didn't kill wife Officers say they can account for all the bloody footprints inside the house, but there is no evidence showing how the person got outside. We checked every avenue of any burglary similar, remotely close in the neighborhood. "He tried to get the key in the ignition, but he couldn't because he was shaking so much," Martin said. The defense's expert was saying that Dr. John Hamilton most likely created those blood stains by bashing in his wife's skull. Randy Scott: The lady's layin' in the floor, covered in blood, blood all over the floor. Lane backed up his theory with physical evidence. The medical examiner had determined that Susan had been strangled with two neckties, but her fatal injuries came from being bludgeoned with a blunt object, a murder weapon never found. A lot of the blood on his clothing could be explained by his attempt to administer CPR. Testimony is expected to continue this morning before District Judge Ray Elliott. There was a problem getting your location. And I didn't want any obstruction. Dennis Murphy: Had there been a fling? Oklahoma City investigators Teresa Sterling and Randy Scott arrived at the Hamilton house at noon that day. Please, please. It read, "A reward in heaven will be bestowed on anyone contributing to bringing this murderer to justice." It was the high society doctor, married to the beautiful wife, that were crazy about one another. Bevel was the last witness in the trial, and from everything he testified to under the defense attorney's gentle questioning, he'd helped dr. Hamilton. Now he would be able to tell his side of the story. To use this feature, use a newer browser. Ross Gardner: Effectively, the inside and front of that shoe was in motion around this spatter event from Mrs. Hamilton that's radiating out. The Valentine's Day Mystery - NBC News Her head bludgeoned, surrounded by a pool of blood. But that Wednesday morning, John arrived home from the hospital, and found a horrific scene: Susan, lying beaten and strangled on their bathroom floor. No affidavit was filed with the formal charges because John Hamilton is in custody. To add a flower, click the Leave a Flower button. He says he did not kill his wife. We don't have a weapon. her daughter was taking sides And we knew we had enough dots that if we get it to lay out in an understandable manner, we knew the jury would be hard pressed not to convict him. They'd been suspicious earlier, back at the house when he scratched his hands against the cage in the police car. At the time, many people sided with John Hamilton. Martin said Hamilton was hysterical when he found his wife, and after he called 911, he realized his car was blocking the driveway so he went to move it, getting his wife's blood and flesh inside the vehicle. Investigators had to interpret the blood evidence left behind. Nothing was stolen, and yet, there was this curious story that cropped up in the days after Susan had been murdered. John Hamilton: I was frantic. John Hamilton: I don't know. The procedure came off without a hitch, and later none of the other doctors reported anything at all unusual in his behavior. I think she became particularly alarmed when he didn't answer it. She denied having an affair or any type of personal relationship with the defendant. Investigators never recovered the murder weapon. A final report will not be completed for several weeks. Two African Americans had earned medals at the 1904 Olympic games in St. Louis Joe Stadler (from Cleveland) had won a silver medal in the standing high jump and George Poage (from the . It was about that bloody shirt taken from the doctor. John Hamilton: Right. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. A panicked Hamilton told the operator that he was attempting to perform CPR on her. On this day, Valentine's Day, in 2001, abortionist John Baxter Hamilton bludgeoned his wife, Susan, to death in their Oklahoma home. 0 cemeteries found in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, USA. Of course, he didn't have the actual murder weapon to make a true comparison but he was able to leave the jury with a vivid impression: The doctor's shirt may have taken a kind of photograph in blood. And you know, start her day off right before she got busy with her meeting. Hamilton hired a new attorney, Rob Nigh, to appeal the verdict. John R. Hamilton Jr. John Ray Hamilton, Jr., 72, passed away at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo on Friday, January 6, 2023. His theory was that the stains on the shirt were left by the murder weapon as it came in contact with the garment. Susan Johnston: I said, "Susan, I don't think it's true. Doctor sentenced for wife's killing - NewsOn6 For example, John Baxter Hamilton, the most prolific abortionist in Oklahoma City, crushed his wife's skull with a blunt object, then returned to his abortion mill to do more abortions. "The prosecution will present one theory," Martin said. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. Dick Horton: She calls us and says, "I found the jewelry in her underwear.". A lot of impact spatter. general about patients calling Aguirre, also known as Nina, said she first went to the defendant for an abortion in the early 1990s, but she also saw him at his gynecology office. Horton told the jurors her mother had And I think she just wanted to have somebody to talk to. a good marriage, even though The national media outlets refused to identify Hamilton as an abortionist, referring to him only as a local obstetrician. They will bring them in here. But his argument wouldn't be enough. Wes Lane: She was talking leaving him. the defendant was calling her 10 The note made police question whether the Hamiltons' marriage was as happy as it had seemed, and they began to regard Hamilton as a suspect. And so, the motive was love lost. some 60 cell phone calls to a stripper. Furthermore, he has previously requested a retrial, which has been denied each time. Just, you know, just a very light-hearted conversation. In particular, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Teresa Sterling: It was violent. Hamilton (5 Jan 1946-14 Feb 2001), Find a Grave Memorial ID 80157405, citing Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Oklahoma City . Other little issues about maybe was it a burglary. When left alone in the room, Hamilton seemed to be checking out his shoulder area. Molly Baxter - Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City - LinkedIn pic.twitter.com/9VBREeKO87, The Spooky Hour (@SpookyHour) February 15, 2021. Dick Horton heard the story firsthand from the friend. Dennis Murphy: And that you can almost envision whatever that murder weapon is, the-- the bludgeon coming right down on poor Susan's head causing the blood spatter. But suspicion began to point closer to home. Susan Hamilton Murder: Where Is Dr. John Hamilton Now? Abortion Doctor Guilty of Murdering Wife | PDF | Murder - Scribd The doctor had been targeted by a militant antiabortion group, the Army of God, whose members have expressed support for the 1998 sniper killing of an abortion provider in New York State. He was banging his head into the screen. She said he paid her $100 and $80 for the dances that cost $20 each. or more times a day. "She said, 'I'm scared and I've never felt A judge earlier ruled there was probable cause to detain Hamilton pending formal charges being filed. What he hoped to show the skeptics through trial was that yes, the doctor was indeed a man who loved his wife -- loved her maybe too much. Sorry! After two hours of deliberation, the jury found him guilty of first-degree murder. Dennis Murphy: It's changed Valentine's Day forever for you and your kids, huh? Prosecutors may finish calling their witnesses today. John Hamilton, a prominent doctor in Oklahoma City, showered his wife with gifts, starting with a Porsche he gave her the day they married. Her face savaged: almost unrecognizable. Please, hurry. Hamilton has been held in the Oklahoma County jail for seven days without bond. ". Learn more about managing a memorial . Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. OKLAHOMA CITY, January 8, 2002 (LSN.ca) - Abortionist John B. Hamilton, 53, was sentenced today to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of his wife Susan on. They said the police had focused on Hamilton too quickly, and not paid enough attention to the threats from antiabortion activists. John Hamilton in Oklahoma We found 15 records for John Hamilton in Norman, Tulsa and 9 other cities in Oklahoma. "There is a science to blood spatters," Lane said. John Hamilton: No, she's not breathing, I don't get a pulse. And here's the thing about that timeline: John had to have left the house by 9:20 to make it back to the hospital by 9:30, when he was seen scrubbing up for surgery. Dennis Murphy, Dateline NBC: Who was she? felt deceived.". Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? He'd been told that the surgery before his was running long and he decided to use the delay to run home and give his wife a valentine. Her husband was arrested that day and later charged with her murder. Blood that then transferred from his hands and clothes to the car. The state of Oklahoma would charge Dr. John Hamilton with just loving his wife to death. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. degree murder trial of her stepfather, Dr. Dennis Murphy: There are a lot of people, the ones who would think you are guilty are saying, "It's time for Dr. Hamilton to finally admit his guilt, be a guy, step up to the plate, and tell the story the way it was.". There isn't any greater love. It was a violent scene. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Area Effectively managed high-volume of product sales. He had been up at dawn for a 7 am surgery at an outpatient clinic. There was a detail that the witness wanted to talk about. I think that that just goes to I think probably in my heart I knew she was dead. February 14th, 2001, would have been their fifteenth Valentine's Day together. Bevel said he had no choice but to tell the court what he knew, even if it hurt the client who had hired him. "The evidence will be she was just as much in love with him.". Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. Steve Jimerson: She was very strongly pro-choice, and-- and very outspoken about it, about the right of women. The blood spatter expert on the stand -- on the payroll of the defense -- hesitated before answering. He'd even mentored the blood expert used by the prosecution. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. And then there were these curious stains on the doctor's shirt -- the blood expert thought he saw a similarity between their angular shape, and the wound created on Susan's head. But for John Hamilton, the fight wasn't over. Retha Chamberlain, Special Judge Russell Hall's court clerk, said the process to complete the paperwork would delay the appearance until then. She would've never hidden it in her underwear and all of a sudden the, you know, it just clicks that he's tryin' to make it look like a robbery.