that blew my mind that an OOB rifle would have that much contact. The Tikka T3X Lite comes with an absolutely fantastic action. Would I buy this rifle? Question about the vanguard vs the bergara. Interested in loading this cartridge. But I cant understand why offering left handed guns seems impossible to some manufacturers. Have to admit I love Henrys, so am trying to take my heart out of the decision with wisdom from someone more experienced like you. What? Id probably go with the Weatherby, but both guns will be very accurate. Keep up the good work of educating shooters in a neutral way. It tames the recoil of this 6.6-pound rifle extremely well. We watch all your videos on YouTube. Can you do a in-depth comparison review of the CVA Cascade vs. Ruger American? Now I want another one and to get in to some long range and MAYBE some hunting. If youre into Italian and youre into affordable, but you still want some Ferrari performance at the Fiat price, Franchis Momentum delivers the goods. To this day when I pull that out for fun it still shoots tight groups. Esp in 7mm-08. Can you review the spring kit for the factory trigger? So it is not a 700 rem action like the Bergara, So no MDT chassis at this time to match. I enjoy your videos on YouTube, very informative and you dont pull any punches, I like that. Using Burris Zee rings, I just applied a thin layer of silicone sealant inside the rings and remounted the scope. Christensen Ridgeline So many people have asked me to review one, and I just cant justify spending $2,000 on one because Ive heard so many reports of inconsistent manufacturing quality. Is the bergara name worth it? Have you had any experience with the new fierce rage? I own a 6.5-.300 Wby and reload my own ammo. It is very expensive. Ergonomics * * * * Keep up the great work. It talks about every calibre Savage Arms is selling in Canada but dont talk about calibre I purchased. I just cant keep myself from grabbing the Sig Cross. Just remember one thing the price of the good older stuff keeps going up and up so when you waste your money on junk it never goes up in value as fast as the good stuff so when you do get around to buying something of quality you lost twice not once. Keep up the great work. Im looking for a great elk rifle/big game in left handed. I stewed over it for a minute but he made me answer, and I said to go with the Tikka T3x Lite. Been following your channel for a few years and have loved all the reviews. You mentioned the seekins havoc, but not in detail. Gun Review: Franchi Momentum Rifle in .308 Win Some people get a good one, others get a lemon. In the video below, I review the Fierce Rogue and show what I like/dislike about the Fierce Rogue. Going to take the plungedeep. The rings are on a 30mm tube though, which has more surface area pressure from the rings to hold the scope in place. Seems like the bergara barrel profile would be better for larger cartridges. Model 70s and tons and tons of various 98 Mauser rifles ranging from converted low cost military guns to commercial Mausers that cost thousands. There are so many other options to consider, but hopefully, that gives you a solid starting place if youre looking for a premium hunting rifle. Again one star better than average in this category, but it still leaves plenty of room for improvement. Seems that they manage to work loose occasionally. No doubt, it has s lot to offer. What do you think? #1. Id like to see how the Sauer 100 performs. I love it. The narrow width put my eye behind the scope nicely but also leaves enough fudge factor for owners who will add an aftermarket cheek piece or wrap. If you had 1500-2500 just for one, which make would you drop that cash on? I dont think any mauser action rifles allow you to drop around in because of the claw extractor. (Live in northern Alberta.) I\m in northern Arizona and hunt in everything from dense forest to open desert, shots rarely over 400 yards. I\m relatively new to the channel & website, and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. I have been considering the Winchester xpr spotter (walnut stock) in 308 Win. Its like the girl you almost dated because you were such good friends and got along with great, but just never could fall in love with. There are very few reviews and almost zero information about how the Howa carbon shoots. You are using an out of date browser. Hi Jim. A junk injection molded plasticky stock that expands with heat and contracts with cold. Looks like a good buy. Dumb! No. Fierce Rival I really like my Fierce Rival chambered in 6.5 PRC. I am stuck between the tikka t3x and the Bergara b14. Manual cover also says- Do not use without reading Manual. Looking at a Seekins Havak in 300 PRC. The sub-$500 version of the CVA Cascade comes with just blued steel. Yes and yes. I have a Momentum elite varmint in 224 Valkyrie. 7mm mag, 300 Win mag and 30-06. Your email address will not be published. The franchi momentum: a ruger american copy - Long Range Hunting Forum I figured I could get an AR rifle with Sub MOA accuracy that could maybe hit 2 birds with 1 stone. JavaScript is disabled. Your reviews and articles are very helpful for us folks that dont have a big gun shop within 150 miles! Savage 110? How may races are there and is idiot one? Id love to hear if the model 70 is still relevant. I have been looking at the 6.8 western. Do you think this is normal business practice ? We hunt in northern Utah. Assuming a commercially-available cartridge (I\m leaning towards .30-06 Springfield), how would the you stack the two up? In this price range, this rifle appears to be a very good value. Style and Appearance * * * * Would love to see your review on the Australian built Lithgow if you havent fired one yet I am sure you will be blown away by it in build quality, accuracy and value considering we are paying $900 for rifles worth $350 in America. And contrary to most German rifles today, the barrel is threaded into the reciever (not heat shrunk). Great Content. Gunwerks builds great guns, but I just dont see them as being THOUSANDS of dollars better than a Fierce, Weatherby, Seekins, etc. Suppressors are DEFINITELY the future, so I wouldnt buy a non-threaded barrel anymore. I like the Sig Cross because its lightweight, easily adjustable to fit me or my kids, very accurate, and the short barrel and folding stock make it easily packable for hunts. (Solid review on your part.). More velocity with the heavier bullets which by the way do not work so well in the 6.5 Creedmore. It might be Franchi just trying to stay ahead of magazine restrictions in some (less free) parts of the world. As Im new to the shooting world Im still undecided on a long range target rifle. What about the Winchester Model 70? You must log in or register to reply here. The stock looks like a varmint/tactical/long range/hunting compromise, and may do those thing well, its just not what I was looking for. Ha! I like the reviews on the CVA but the Bergara is hard to beat, the Terrain Wilderness is the one Im leaning towards. Never bother with a Winchester M70, because I thought it was old fashion. Is it ever gonna happen or should I just buy a 6.5 prc? I looked it up and the barrel profile is exactly the same for bigger calibers. But 300 WinMag doesnt fit in an AR15 and 6.5 Swede doesnt fit in a short action. Id say Im in the sub-$1,500 range. Im in the market for my very first rifle and I have been eying up the Weatherby Vanguard ever since I saw you pick it. I would definitely buy the Winchester XPR SR version, which means suppressor ready, so you get a threaded barrel. Quality control issues, Im about to send it BACK in for a 2nd time for them to figure out why its damn near impossible to open or close the bolt after a few shots. I just took the first shots with the Winchester XPR in 6.8 Western today. They come in the same price bracket as Tikka rifles but from what I have read, unlike the popular T3X rifles, Sauer 100 rifles Had a question, What are your thoughts/opinion on the Wilson Combat AR10s? Do you still recommend them. How us that helping? Just curious, have you had a chance to review the Benelli Lupo. Unfortunately now I see it for $1700. Really enjoy reading your reviews and opinions! I like the straight comb with minimal drop and I found the cheek weld comfortable. Hey Jim, your videos are great not only on rifles, but optics too. I do have a question that I hope you will address. Bought a new rifle today.a Franchi | Outdoor Board - TigerDroppings Most people hide their plasticky pieces of shit from their friends if their friends are the old foxes who know what a real gun is. Thanks for doing great work. I thought of the Waypoint myself but I also like the Sako Finnlight II. Im not sure why Bergarra and other premium manufacturers dont do this but Im sure theres a reason. You have entered an incorrect email address! Made in Italy? Scope bases follow the Remington 700 mounting footprint, but the action length does not so only 2-piece R700 bases or separate rings will work. Meet the Franchi Momentum Bolt-Action Rifle. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Franchi Momentum Elite | Rokslide Forum Its not for me. Ok I concede your right to a degree but there are tons and tons of older made deer rifles on the market. Thanks so much, you guys are great! With plain Jane 55 grain hornady soft points and max listed load of H4895, it shoots 1/4 to 3/8 at 100 yards if I lay off the coffee. Surprised you didnt mention anything about the Sako 85. I like the action of the Howa better but the Proof barrel on the Savage. However, I kill a lot of elk where Im from, and my smaller 6.5s dont produce the knock down effect I had with the Weatherby. Unlocking the Momentums bolt took more effort than a typical Remington 700. My 6.5 CM shoots sub MOA groups. **sorry for posting this comment on another article, but I guess this is the more suitable article for this discussion. Love your videos and reviews thanks a ton. To be clear, youll load the rifle from the top, pushing one round at a time down and into the internal magazine, and this function allows you to safely and easily unload the Momentum. Trigger: 2-4 lbs, adjustable, single stage An innovative modern design with folding buttstock, pistol grip. It is so fun to shoot and is extremely accurate! It truly needs to be able to handle rough handling. In todays market, it needs a more modern stock design, carbon barrel, and premium trigger to be worth the price they are asking. Do you have any other recommendations or would you like to sell the Savage? enything under 2k. Do you have any experience with the Franchi? Great to see honest reviews that are very entertaining hope to see many more. The action is a Mauser type like Sako. love the mauser style trigger guard/magazine. It and the Fierce Rogue are tight competitors. Its one of the best 3 out of 8 rifles we tested in this price range. Thanks for all of your vids and you helped me get my last two rifles with all the choices. So Id recommend just paying for it online. Ive never seen Sea Adler anywhere in the US, do you know if theyre imported? You lost when you bought junk because it will always be low cost junk and you lost when you went to purchase something of quality because the price went way up because you fked around too long before you realized you should have bought quality to begin with when it was still relatively affordable. The budget rifle video and cartridge wars are among my fav on YouTube for hunting alone. There are quality inexpensive rifles being made, but if you step up into the $500-$1,000 price range, almost every option will shoot accurately and have more consistent quality control. Indeed, the Momentums bolt only travels 60 degrees from fully open to fully locked and vice-versa, whereas your typical 2-lug job requires a 90-degree throw. Italy has crazy gun control laws, like most of Europe. I had a question on my first rifle purchase. It looks to be right @ the very top of weight class Id like, but with the adjustable stock,shape,look & Carbon Barrel, seems to be right in the wheelhouse of what Id like for my larger caliber (wish they had it in .300 PRC) rifle. The best part of learning how much I love hunting was how little I first put in. The only competitor would be a full custom on the amazing MDT HNT 26 chassis. Franchi, a 150-year-old shotgun manufacturer, clearly felt it was high time an affordable Italian hunting rifle hit U.S. shores. Hi Jim, I took it back to Scheels and the guys said its the second time someone has brought one back with that issue in a week. My initial impression is that it is a pretty standard budget bolt gun. I was looking at the Tikka for a while but Im not crazy about the slower twist in .30-06. Wow, what a shooter! I am going to use the rifle for mainly whitetail deer hunting in Wisconsin but I occasionally like once every 5-10 years go out west and hunt pronghorn or elk and have recently tried to hunt moose in Alaska. The Tikka Superlite 7RM is my dedicated high country rifle, weighing in at 7.1 lbs scoped. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend a Weatherby if you find one in a cartridge you like, or if you dont mind shooting Weatherbys overbore cartridges. The molded-in checkering is clean and sharp but in no way uncomfortable. Yes its more than that modern piece of shit for $300 but I have found other used Mauser sporters including commercially made ones in the $300 dollar range not once but many , many times. Hello Jim, great article. Jim. Great reviews, but nothing on the Browning AB3? I expect to spend a few thousand or more to get what would meet my needs. Have you ever made a review of the Schultz & Larsen rifle? It looks like a real great gun. Overall, the rifle is kinda heavy so itd be nice to reduce recoil a bit. Awesome at this price range. Its very heavy, the straight pull was difficult to work with and made a few of my shots not go off because I didnt quite push it ALL the way forward. Since recording the review of the Sig Cross, my copy of the gun did develop the issue with the safety where it doesnt quite go to the correct position. I really like the Springfield waypoint but it is out of my price range but definitely the nicest rifle Ive held! Ive been eyeing them for a while, but the MPR turned me off from the chassis rifles. Have you or will you be doing a video on Franchi hunting rifles. In fact, I frequently find myself out shooting with a Sig Cross even when I have much more expensive guns that I could be choosing. I would love to see you review a Lithgow la102 from Australia. Am I wrong in my logic? Hi Jim, Italians know firearms and so do the Finns. a few few hundred cycles smoothed it right up. And all the great work you do! Its a good option for light cartridges, but the light weight and stock design dont make for a good match on heavy cartridges. I was disappointed to see that you no longer recommend the Savage 110 ultralight, having watched the original review which just about made up my mind to spend the $1200. Vald, I love me some harbor freight. Savage just came out with a Savage 110 carbon predator. I\m a big fan of your videos and expertise. Backfire LLC owns and operates this website. It is their lowest entry point to their rifles but looks interesting. Again not a spot of rust. Granted, I got the better tools for measuring how off what they sold is but theres some applications where cheap is better. Have you ever tested any Franchi hunting rifles? At the back of the bolt shroud, the firing pin protrudes to show cocked status (as seen above) and is flush with the rear of the bolt shroud when not cocked. I have the 2020 waypoint. I do like the 300wm type power but its been a challenge researching top recommendations. Or is the lighter, cheaper, better looking cva more applicable? The Weatherby Vanguard threaded, Bergara B14, and Howa Carbon Stalker are all models Im researching more to try to come to a definitive decision. It's my 1st long-bolt (actually 2nd, I'd had Win 70 Ultimate Shadow 338 win mag. I have a Sears gun with an FN Action and a deluxe hand checkered walnut stock (real hand checkering not junk machine cut checkering) in .270 caliber and I paid $300 for it used. I really have enjoyed watching your YouTube channel and reading some of your articles on backfire! Im looking at the Waypoint now. I got it in 6.5 creedmoor for deer hunting. Ill be using it in the Southern Rockies for context. Thanks, Joe. In depth and honest I really enjoy watching all of your youtube reviews. A fine rifle like this is perfect for beating to shit while you learn the other basics. Wondering your opinion on those I understand theyre not hunting rifles I just thought you would enjoy those rigles as I do. Also would be cool to see you do a semi-custom rifle (Bighorn action, prefit barrel, Ag composites stock, trigger tech, etc.) Base Price: $816.99: Tax: - In Stock: Back in stock . I came over the years to loath short action rifles. Problem with the Savage 110 ultralight is the plastic magazine. I have been taking in everyone of ur vids I can find and sincerely appreciate your work and am interested in your take on the Seekins product? Are you familiar with this cartridge? Cannot find the Federal rounds anymore so Shooting the Hornady Precision Hunter 110s now. Yes, thats five rounds as always. I own a Fury in 6.5 Creedmoor that will shoot the smallest 5 shot group you ever seen. I own 30-06, i own a 300 win mag , now never pull anything out but the 300 win mag , it is a Browning A bolt with the belly clip , has the sweet spot muzzle break ,that takes care of half of the recoil and have the Remington butt pad . Full Details. High comb, rigid, modern stock lines. I might add for a hunting rifle the 6.5 Swede is superior to the 6.5 Screedmore. Its the classic , its The One , its stood the test of time , its been around longer than the rest and will still be here long after these other rifles have fallen out of fashion. Im looking for an elk rifle. Franchi Momentum 300 Win Mag | Hunt Talk So, if those ones should be avoided, what rifles SHOULD hunters consider? Purchased an Sig Cross in 6.5 today. My assumption has been that given the limited rifles and ammos out, the x-bolt with browning ammo would have to work well together right out of the box.