To accomplish this, the AP French Language and Culture course is taught primarily in French, and students will read and listen to authentic texts from the francophone world throughout the course. Best of all, its free! Answers 1: C | 2: B | 3: D Presentation topic ideas Doing an extra credit presentation for my intermediate French course and need to choose a specific topic. What French Culture Gave to The WorldFashion. Fashion or La Mode as the French know it is one of the major contributions that the French culture made to the world.Ballet. Before the Russians took overt the reigns in the world ballet, there was France. Literature. No one country can said to have actually made literature grow in the world. Introduction to French Culture | Global Studies and Languages Easiest and Hardest AP Exams Pourriez-vous m'aider, s'il vous plait? Not directly assessed in the Examples of audio-based multiple-choice questions (click on the question for audio): The second question tasks you with writing an argumentative essay based on three provided sources. offers a comprehensive guide to the exam content, including two full-length practice exams with all questions answered and explained, along with an MP3 CD containing exemplary conversations and oral presentations. I wanted to use these five dimensions and analyse the cultural differences I went through between the French and Finnish culture. You can find interesting books in French, watch Youtube videos in French, read the French news (like Le Monde), follow French blogs, or listen to French podcasts. French Values The French motto Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity reflects the values of French society. Multiculturalism (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors). multiple-choice section. Polychronic people are also said to have a tendency to change their minds quite easily and float from one situation to another which relates to French people very well. WebPRESENTATION SLIDES: Discussions of Diversity in the French Classroom, La Francophonie and Colonization and Diverse Faces Stromae, Tal, and Diversity in Pedagogical Material Related Papers Teaching Franco-Americans of Unit There are a lot of changes, both linguistic- and culture-wise. Most of the citys arrondissements (municipal districts) have groups actively researching their history and traditions, and local art exhibitions and concerts are encouraged. The traditional saunas were warmed with wood, and they used to be separate buildings, nowadays you can find electric saunas even in the student apartments, even it is not in its traditional environment. Step 5: Take Another Practice Test The French take immense pride in their nation and government and are typically offended by any negative comments about their country. My professor is tasking us with making an oral presentation of 2-3 AP French Language and Culture Exam Content Freely sharing knowledge with learners and educators around the world. For a more specific idea of where to focus your studying, you may consider using a commercial study guide. Cultural literacy expanded as newspaper circulations rose, lending libraries proliferated, and in 1954 a revolution began in paperback books (livre de poche). Communicate through spoken presentations. Write to Others Visual Arts 'template_id': '8565' One set of questions uses audio files in combination with print materials as the stimulus, and the other set of questions uses only audio material as the stimulus. French Culture The first part of the free response questions consists of two questions. Furthermore, the presentation had to be organized clearly. Bibliography. 4.7% WebFRENCH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE FREE-RESPONSE QUESTIONS . For a more specific idea of where to focus your studying, you may consider using a commercial study guide. If I could change my intercultural experience I would have done much more of research about French culture before my exchange to understand, adapt and experience the French culture better, Master of Advanced Studies in Intercultural Communication (MIC). attraction for general theories, for general systems of legislation, the exact symmetry of lawsthe same desire to remake the entire constitution at once following the rules of logic and in accordance with a single plan, instead of seeking ways to amend its parts. Section 2(a): Free Response Written Although you wont officially be scored on your grammar, youll still need to be able to communicate effectively, so make sure you can get your point across. You will then deliver a 2-minute presentation comparing a cultural feature of a French-speaking community to another community youre familiar with. Many of history's most renowned artists, including Claude Monet, Edgar Degas and Camille Pissarro, sought inspiration in Paris, and they gave rise to the Impressionism movement. What Should I Bring to My AP Exam (And What Should I Definitely Leave at Home)? Both cultures, of course, have its pros and cons but they were hard to mix sometimes. Example of a spoken free response question: In 2019, students generally did quite well on the AP French Language and Culture exam. multiple-choice section. With the advent of colonialism and global trade, France reached a worldwide market, and French artistic, culinary, and sartorial styles influenced the high and popular cultures of nations around the globe. Presentational Writing: Write an argumentative essay based on 3 sources, including an article, a table, graph, chart, or infographic, and a related audio source (played twice), that present different viewpoints on a topic (~55 minutes total: 15 minutes to review materials plus 40 minutes to write). 'name': 'app.collegevine.com CTA', Paris is seen as the center of French culture. Nutrition and Food Safety Example of an email free response question: Only 16.1% of all students received the top score of 5, while less than 5% scored a 1 on the exam. This is a union that has many of the same benefits of marriage, like tax breaks, but can be dissolved with a notice or by marrying someone else or instead of a divorce. You can find interesting books in French, watch Youtube videos in French, read the French news (like Le Monde), follow French blogs, or listen to French podcasts. Social Impact of Technology Try to find engaging sources of information presented in French and use them as much as possible. Comprehend Text You can also prepare for the exam by reviewing the College Boards AP World Language Practice Tips and by previewing the exams sample AP French audio files. } Make interdisciplinary and cultural connections. Some schools dont grant credit at all, and only use AP exams for placement. Throughout the AP French Language and Culture course, youll develop and hone eight language and communication skills. The culture of the Enlightenment was built on reason and analytic argumentation, mirrored, as political scientist Alexis de Tocqueville remarked, in the French Revolutions. 'View - Blog CTA', { You can find tons of past exam prompts dating back to 2012 on the College Boards, AP French Language and Culture exam homepage. The AP French Language and Culture exam is one of the most popular AP language exams, second only to Spanish. How Long is Each AP Exam? There is a difference how people from different cultures perceive, interpret, and understand the world around them and when a person moves from another culture to a new one, there might be problems, obstacles and new habits to lean before adaptation to the new culture. Today French customs, styles, and theories remain an influential export, as well as a point of great national pride, even as French intellectuals worry that the rise of globalism has prompted, in the words of the historian Pierre Nora, the rapid disappearance of our national memory.. %PDF-1.6 % Section 1(b): Multiple-Choice Audio Nostalgic 'cuisine de grandmre' rivals French haute cuisine for the crown of identifiably French food," wrote Maryann Tebben, professor of language and literature at Bard College, in her book "Savoir-Faire: A History of Food in France (opens in new tab)" (Reaktion Books, 2020). The sources and meanings of national symbols, monuments, myths and manifestoes are also studied. Make interdisciplinary and cultural connections. What is a Good PSAT Score in 2023? , follow French blogs, or listen to French podcasts. This is the day the Bastille fortress in Paris was stormed by revolutionaries to start the French Revolution. , which receives good reviews for the volume of practice material it includes, though some users note that it contains some typos and should be used only in conjunction with other study materials to reinforce existing skills. Cultural Comparison France still represents the cultures where the family is considered to consist of more than just the core family of parents and children. French Culture 2 Questions | 1 Hour 10 Minutes | 25% of Score, Section IIB: Free Response Spoken 18.2% Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, For more about the French Revolution and, more specifically, the period that immediately followed you should read about the Reign of Terror from 1793 to 1794. Comprehend written, audio, audiovisual, and visual text (text, pictures, and numbers). French is the official language and the first language of 88% of the population, according to the BBC (opens in new tab). In 2019, over 23,000 students took the examabout 75% of which were standard foreign language students, with the remainder being students who regularly spoke or heard the foreign language outside of school, or who studied abroad for more than one month. In France, the term is protected by law and is defined by the Paris Chamber of Commerce, according to Eva Domjian, a London-based fashion writer and editor, writing on "Dressful (opens in new tab)." 2 You should see a steady progression of knowledge youve accumulated, and its likely that you will see patterns identifying which areas have improved the most and which areas still need improvement. } In a survey by the French Institute of Public Opinion (opens in new tab) (IFOP), 64% of the population (about 41.6 million people) identified themselves as Roman Catholic. Two-thirds as many French couples are in a PACS as are married, according to "The Economist (opens in new tab).". I'm in the 4th week of my second college quarter of French. Students will have access to the print sources and any notes they may take on the audio during the entire 40-minute writing period. This was a shock for me because in my culture equality is a big issue and everyone are at the same level. You can find interesting books in French, watch Youtube videos in French, read the French news (like. Webcomparative oral presentation on cultural diversity. For the French person family is not only husband and wife and children, but also cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents might all live almost in the same building or house. 1 hour 10 minutes | 2 questions | 25% of score. Communicate through written presentations. Section 2(b): Free Response Spoken Contemporary Life Travel Native speakers or students with exceptional exposure to the French language may take a different course of study leading to the AP French Language and Culture course, or might completely self-study for the exam. In the second part, you will have 55 minutes to complete 35 multiple-choice questions based on audio or combination audio and print texts. Even if the results would be disappointing, you should never give up. In this exam, within the theme of Personal and Public Identities, students were asked to deliver a comparative oral presentation on cultural diversity. WebFor much of its history, France has played a central role in European culture. Beginning in the 1980s, second- and third-generation North Africans were often referred to as les beurs, and beur cinema, beur comics, and beur radio, among other forms of expression, have found a large audience. WebAll Project Materials for the French Department Listed on this Research Page have their Complete work from Chapters 1 to 5 which are: Title Page and the Case Study, Table Of Contents, Abstract, the Background of the Study, Statement of the Problem, Research Questions, Objectives of the Study, Research Hypothesis, Signification of the Study, the Again in Finland, the families are small, and the family means normally only a small amount of people. We all have to eat, and the French are some of the best cooks in He found that these factors varied according to culture and throughout his findings, he was also able to categorise countries according to these means. Everything that is done is well considered. I felt in France that the studying was the only thing important for the university students and that it was not appropriate to use a lot of teamwork or help the other because it might decline your results or decrease the time to study. It constitutes an integrated study with a focus on language, culture and society. Global Challenges If you don't mind me asking, what school is this? Typical low context cultures are North Americans and Scandinavians. includes many practice multiple choice questions along with explanations of their answers.