Horatio's Journey Marker marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. This first successful cross-country road trip sealed the American love affair with the ultimate symbol of freedom the automobile. You are the best little wife in the world and I am a mighty lucky fellow to have you.Yes, old girl, I appreciate it, if, sometimes I have a queer way of showing it.Four years tomorrow!!!! Driving an automobile from coast to coast in 1903 was a difficult and daring achievement. - Behind Every Day, rubber mackintoshes for themselves and the car (remember no roof, no windshield! Source: 'The Mad Doctor's Drive,' by Ralph Nading Hill; 'Winton 1903,' by Peter C. Kesling. Or sometimes I just need to, Read More The Right Word Peter Roget and His ThesaurusContinue, If youve never heard of Snowflake Bentley, then Ive got a treat for you! Horatio Nelson Jackson (March 25, 1872 - January 14, 1955) . The trip had to be called off after a one-armed bicyclist made up a 10- day head start from New York and passed the hapless car before it reached Syracuse. No sooner than Jackson had finished the repair however, that they then suffered a gasoline leak which wasted all their available fuel. Its subject is the first cross-country automobile journey in the United States, which occurred during the summer of 1903. (2) A team of horses rescued the car from being swallowed by quicksand. Horatio's letter to Bertha | May 31, 1903 . I want to celebrate here by getting my new parts. As luck would have it, the movie was available on Amazon prime for just a few more days so I immediately added it to the top of my list. Take good care of yourself & dont worry. I am always amazed by the hot air balloon gondolas on display, seeing how small they are while reading, Read More A Sky Full of Adventure at the Balloon MuseumContinue, I dont know what it is about windmills, but whenever I see one of the old classic designs out on the prairie, I just want to stop and take a picture. Long before the interstates, there was a Winton / Indiana auto - SFGATE "They were the visionaries and crackpots, which is sometimes the same person. So many windmills! Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip - amazon.com At Hailey, Idaho, Crocker wired the Winton Motor Carriage Company for more parts, which, combined with the increasing press coverage, spurred the Winton car company to step up their support efforts since to them it meant an increased positive image of the company. Sidebar ads are available in 125 x 125 and 480 x 60 sizes, in bi-monthly or six month intervals. Finally, the end is in sight! Peter's car is 100 years old, and he has to worry about semi-trucks.". This added several hundred miles to their route but they hoped to avoid the problems that Alexander Winton had faced in the desert sands of Nevada. What roads did exist, were holdovers from the wagon train trading routes of the 1850s, 60s, and 70s the Old West of cowboy and Indian lore. On June 6, the car broke down, and they had to be towed to a nearby ranch by a cowboy on horseback. Soon after, the triowithBud sporting his fashionable goggles, began to accumulate some fame along their journey. Another brother, Hollister Jackson, served as Lieutenant governor of Vermont. Horatio Nelson Jacksons Road Trip Route Across America. We shall try & get away tonight. Nell Richardson, Alice Burke, and the Golden Flier, 1916. After one harrowing drive over a stretch of narrow, bumpy road in the Cascade range, the two men noticed their cooking utensils had jiggled out. Following the war, he became one of the founders of theAmerican Legion, and twice ran forGovernor of Vermont. At the time there were only 150 miles of paved roads in the entire country, all of them within city limits. The duo was assisted in Sacramento by bicyclists who offered them road maps. [12] While attached to the 313th Infantry, 79th Division as a surgeon, Jackson was wounded near Montfaucon during the MeuseArgonne Offensive. I go from here to Buffalo.I am tired & got to get up early in the morning & [I am] damn anxious to get you in my arms. Driving Directions to Omaha, NE including road conditions, live traffic updates, and reviews of local businesses along the way. Please give my best love to your mother & tell [my] father & mother that I love them as much as ever. Theres also a book which I grabbed on my very next visit to the library. Questions? In those days, almost all of the paved roads were in cities, and most people traveled no more than 12 miles from their homes. This we did the result being that we ran across the desert to Swanton Falls a distance, out of our way, 38 miles. LOS ANGELES, Oct. 5 (UPI) -- On May 23, 1903, Horatio Nelson Jackson was just two days into his grand adventure of becoming the first person . Horatio Jackson, Sewall Crocker, Bud and the "Vermont", Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 19, 2018, 4. Horatio Nelson Jackson - Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core Subsequently, their mileage took a sharp increase andtheir rate of trail damage sharply decreased. Dr. H. Nelson Jackson and Sewall K. Crocker, his chauffeur, finished the first transcontinental automobile trip at half-past four o'clock yesterday morning. What part of history will come to life when we see it with our own eyes? My darling Swipes,We expected our express on No. But, 2 days after the bet, Horatiofinalized the purchase of his first car, a Winton that he dubbed The Vermont after his home state. We shall now try & make a record trip. His two brothers, each driving his own automobile, came to help him get going again. I feel confident we can make it.How I wish you were with me & that it was possible for you to take the tripWith a barrel full [of love], I am, as always, yours.Nelson. PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Darling SwipesOn our arrival here [I] was much surprised to find a man from the factory with a letter congratulating me and stating that they were willing to place men along the line with supplies at their expense.I have informed them that we have made the trip so far without their assistance & thought that perhaps [we] two greenhorns could do the rest of it. Thanks for stopping by my campfire to share a story. About the Film | Horatio's Drive | Ken Burns | PBS At this point, the trio became celebrities. Learn about the driver, the mechanic and the sidekick who took the epic journey. An automobile trip across the continent that will be watched with a great deal of interest will start from this city this morning. Horatio Nelson Jackson | Military Wiki | Fandom In honor of its achievement it was decorated with tiny flags and draped with national standards. Churning dust irritated Buds eyes, and Jackson purchased this pair of goggles for him. Driving Directions to Prescott, AZ including road conditions, live traffic updates, and reviews of local businesses along the way. Jackson and Crocker were en route, but could not overtake them. When the Rubber First Hit the Roads of America - Los Angeles Times Jackson (at the wheel) enlisted Sewall Crocker as his mechanic and co-driver, and bought a used Winton touring car. On July 12, the two men and the dog arrived in Nebraska where they found themselves back on paved roads. He is also very handy at repairing, a faculty that may prove of value. She extracted the Maxwell from washouts and mudholes with block and tackle, a jack, even fence rails under the wheels. On the second night, they stopped early in Sacramento and replaced them with a large spotlight mounted on the front of the Vermont. In 1909, Alice Huyler Ramsey, of Hackensack, New Jersey, became the first woman to drive across the United States. Enough gasoline can be carried to run the machine 250 miles. Soon enough though, while traveling though the alkali flats of eastern Oregon and Idaho, they noticed that the harsh environment irritated Buds eyes. Hi! They are repeatedly forced to use shovels and the block and tackle to push and drag the car through sand and mud. I am tired & got to get up early in the morning & damn anxious to get you in my arms. The rough trek towards Oregon required them to haul the car across deep streams with the block and tackle. On July 26, 1903, Horatio Nelson Jackson, a 31-year-old Vermont doctor, and his 22-year-old mechanic, Sewall Crocker, became the first to cross the United States in an automobile. ", Bud, wrote Jackson, was "the one member of (our) trio who used no profanity on the entire trip.". and their dog Bud made the first successful transcontinental automobile trip. There will be breakdowns and tears and stories to last you through the years so get out there and start exploring! Peter Fimrite is The Chronicle's lead science reporter, covering environmental, atmospheric and ecosystem science. Directions to Omaha, NE - MapQuest The First Cross-Country Road Trip Took 2 Men and a Pitbull 63 Days On their arrival, the mud besmirched and travel stained vehicle which had borne them so faithfully and sturdily over fifty-six hundred miles of roads between the Pacific and the Atlantic was housed in a garage in West 58th Street. Together, both events would dramatically alter the course of exploration and adventure for the next century. The travelers eventually reached Omaha, Nebraska, on July 12. Horatio Jackson's Winton in the Smithsonian. The trek will begin at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco with a gala sendoff, including the attendance of filmmaker Ken Burns, who recently completed a documentary about the first cross-country drive. In 1903, two men and a dog made the first cross-country road trip After repairing the flat, they stopped again inSacramento, CA to replace & upgrade their all too dim headlights and met some friendly cyclists who offered them road maps to the local area. A significant historical date for this entry is July 23, 1903. , The route of US 30 traces its origin to the early 1900s. Ken Burns takes 'Horatio's Drive' - UPI.com "Everyone pooh- poohed the idea of even attempting such a journey.". America's first transcontinental road trip takes the checkered flag in Its not until they reach Iowa that they finally begin to travel at a decent unimpeded speed, averaging nearly 150 miles per day. Horatio's Drive | Video | THIRTEEN - New York Public Media Crocker made repairs, but a fuel leak caused them to lose all of their available gasoline, and Jackson rented a bicycle for Crocker to travel 25 miles (40km) to Burns, Oregon, for fuel. This post contains affiliate links. "Fifty dollars says I can drive a car to New York." This was quite a boast for a man without a car or mechanical knowledge. "; (bottom center) The trip,. As Burke and Richardson drove around the country, overcoming the challenges of rough roads and mechanical breakdowns, they showed that women could be at home in the masculine domain of machines. But still, troubles continued to plague Horatio and Jackson. Following the railroad would also make it easier to access supplies along the way. [1] He married Bertha Richardson Wells, the daughter of William Wells, a Medal of Honor recipient and one of the richest men in Vermont as a partner in Wells, Richardson & Co., manufacturer of Paine's Celery Compound, a popular patent medicine. Jackson and S.K. Ramseys sisters-in-law and a friend accompanied her on the trip from New York to San Francisco. Horatio's Drive is a co-production of Florentine Films and WETA. Jackson chose a cherry red 1903 Winton Company touring car. The trouble started with a flat tire near Hayward and, from then on, he and Crocker were alternately working on the car, pulling it out of mud holes, teetering on the edge of cliffs or simply getting lost. Upon reaching the threshold of Jackson's garage, the Vermont's drive chain snapped. The thick coating of mud gave evidence that it had been somewhere and that somewhere a long way off. This historical marker was erected by America's Byways. Constantly working in the face of heavy machine-gun and shell fire, Major Jackson was most devoted in his attention to the wounded, always present in the line of advance, directing the administering of first aid, and guiding the work of litter bearers. ", "Col. Nelson Jackson: The Man Who Spent $8,000 to Win a $50 Bet" Martin Sheridan. By CATHERINE SEIPP. [7] Jackson and Crocker replaced it with the only spare they had, in fact, the only right-sized spare tire they could find in all of San Francisco. This allowed them to avoid the higher passes in the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains. Between June 20 and 21, all three of them got lost in Wyoming, and went without food for 36 hours before finding a sheepherder who gave them a meal of roast lamb and boiled corn. A series of American university professors of history provided background information. Horatio's Drive America's First Road Trip In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the United States in the new-fangled "horseless carriage." How A $50 Bet Sparked America's First Cross-Country Road Trip View my full disclosure. . Dr. Nelson has provided the very latest kind of gasoline machine, large and commodious and 20-horsepower. Jackson and Crocker face obstacle after obstacle on their trip. On June 16, somewhere in Idaho, Jackson's coat, containing most of the travelers' money, fell off and was not found. Besides his medical practice, Jackson was an auto enthusiast who differed with the then-prevailing wisdom that the automobile was a passing fad and a recreational plaything. The trip began after a discussion in a San Francisco mens club as to the feasibility of a transcontinental auto crossing. A map of Horatio's route and his 63-day itinerary The Gear After removing the backseat to make room for more gear, they packed the following items to begin the long journey: sleeping bags cooking gear rubber mackintoshes for themselves and the car (remember - no roof, no windshield!) Crocker Will Start this Morning on Automobile Trip They Hope Will End in New York. He also writes about the cannabis industry, outdoor adventure, Native American issues and the culture of the West. The first family road trip was in 1908. The press came out at every stop to take their picture and conduct interviews. This Place in History: Dr. H. Nelson Jackson - Local 22/44 News I am a little ahead of time but Lord knows when I will get time to write again. Crocker suggested that Jackson buy a Winton car. At 4:30 a.m. on July 26, 1903, Jackson and Crocker crossed the Harlem River into Manhattan to their final destination of the Holland House Hotel. About the Film | Horatio's Drive | Ken Burns | PBS Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. Most. But relief would not comfort them since they soon heard that competing corporate sponsored teams from both Packard and Oldsmobile were chasing them down hoping to steal the crown of first across the US in a motor car. Packard had secretly been planning their journey for months before Horatios fateful 50 dollar bet, and Oldsmobile had hoped to show the world what assembly line manufactured cars were capable of. Mr. Murdock did all the driving and even drove for more than twelve hours on a few days, just to cover more distance (just like me on my road trips!). She returned home by train, allowing him to take his adventure by automobile. About the Film | Horatio's Drive | Ken Burns | PBS The journey became a race among three teams, the winners being Jackson and Crocker. He owned a newspaper, a bank andradio station WCAX (nowWVMT). Let's share the joy of discovery together. "HORATIO CAM" DIGITAL FOOTAGE Allen Moore ASSOCIATE PRODUCER Susanna Steisel COORDINATING PRODUCER Pam Tubridy Baucom FIELD PRODUCER Craig Mellish NARRATED BY Keith David THE VOICE OF HORATIO. Their yellow Saxon automobile, nicknamed the Golden Flier, became a moving symbol of womens rights and a podium for speeches in many towns and cities. Keep reading The Pony Express is a well-known American mail delivery service of the early 1860s. It is displayed with reproductions of supplies and equipment that the men carried. Following the railroad right-of-way seemed the best way to go as they headed out. Horatio's Journey. Wilson Alwyn Bentley was born on February 9, 1865, in Jericho, Vermont. The Lincoln Highway was the first transcontinental motor route, created in 1913. By all accounts,Horatios bet was one made in the innocence of drunken exuberance. This is a carousel. Whether or not a bet was really made, it did happen rather suddenly. Contents 1 Early life and medical career 2 Cross-country drive 2.1 Wager and preparation 2.2 Journey 3 Later life At first they lost their cookware, but while still in California, Jackson also lost his glasses. Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip TV Movie 2003 TV-G 1 h 47 m IMDb RATING 8.0 /10 546 YOUR RATING Rate Documentary Adventure History The saga of Horatio Nelson Jackson, the first man to cross the United States by automobile--in 1903! THE FIRST TRANSCONTINENTAL AUTOMOBILE ROAD TRIP In 1903, a man named Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson became the first person to drive across the country, from coast to coast. In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the .