First of all, I agree, its time for the ruled to be changed! That gave Brady the starting role over veteran Drew Bledsoe entering the 2002 season and the rest is history. NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, and Note 2 were stated. If your loser team was that great why couldnt they stop the drives after the tuck play ? But the rule, while it . For one, do you know anything about football? Tom Brady credits tuck rule for starting role entering 2002 season In explaining the reversal to the crowd, Coleman stated that the ball was moving forward at the time it was dropped. Tuck rule or not the raiders got robbed. [2] With 1:01 left in the second quarter, Patriots defensive end Anthony Pleasant apparently forced Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde to fumble the ball, with Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour making a recovery. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.". An existing rule was strengthened as a result of this. At least not right away. He did, New England won and Brady went on to forge an NFL dynasty. [1], The tuck rule was also enforced in an NFL playoff game on January 9, 2011, between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Baltimore Ravens. Tom Brady admits controversial 'Tuck Rule Game' play 'might have been a The Raiders at one point paralyzed a Patriot player. If the Raiders pull out the Tuck Rule game, they are probably losing one of their next two games, and doing so in embarrassing fashion. What time do NFL fantasy waivers go through? Here's the official ruling, from section 22, article 2 of the NFL's rulebook. Poor teams point to adversity as the reason for their failure. I would support a rule change, although it took me a long time to get to this point, Pereira said. The call was overturned upon review and ruled an incomplete pass, with the tuck rule cited. Any idea which it actually was? Mike Pereira, the former director of officiating of the NFL, noted that the design of the rule avoids the question of the quarterback's intention,[1] except that the referee still must judge whether the initial forward movement of the arm was "intentional". 2004-2023 CBS Interactive. Pereira is right there with Walt Coleman in my book. he is no longer in the act of throwing. I still say he had a personal stake in a Raider victory. The reality is, the Patsies were manufacturing timeouts by having Brady take hits on pump-fakes. NFL Coach's Challenge | HowStuffWorks This is consistent with most NFL rules as the league tries to make as many rules applications as possible a simple black-white decision (think helmet-to-helmet contact). elyasm, the arm doesnt even have to be moving forward at the time the ball is knocked out to make it an incomplete pass. The rule, applied to game play, makes absolutely no sense. They have their best season in years andthey fire their coach.. Ive been a Raider fan for over 20 years now and this is my first post. If not, then watch the damn replay again and explain to me how in the hell that is not a fumble. So the rule was fine for 10 years but now you see the wrong it it???? Who cares if they throw out the rule or not. That ref had money on the game so he made up a rule. Yes, keep the rule until each team has experienced it at least once. The most unnatural rule in football. if i was a raiders fan my bedroom would look like finkels and my mother certainly wouldnt be giving out cookies at the door. Nope. The refs missed that play completely. IT'S HISTORY / Tuck rule play changed the fortunes for many - SFGATE And at least they werent videotaping raiders sidelinesor did they?? are you still mad because Seymour loosened up your fat schnozz for the Ravens to bust it open like a pinata at a bday party?? The Tuck Rule rules that his pass was incomplete. It was a pump fake that he brought back to his body. If the Raiders were that great how come they couldnt stop the Pats on one of the following plays ? By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. And even Marshall Faulk started to decline after that 2001 season. Second, the Raiders had every opportunity to win that. Not a member? The Raiders appeared to be dominating to this point of the game. The entire play was right in front of Ben Dreith and yet the flag stayed in the pocket. I was young and didn't watch football at the time. Please check your email for a confirmation. 1-seeded Steelers to even get to the Super Bowl. Only one of the Patriots 12 balls was underinflated by two pounds, according to the report. You had your chance the next season, and the Bucs beat you by 50 touchdowns. And the other Super Bowls he would have gone on to win would have sealed it. Brady's answer: probably not. A source told Ian Rapoport on Wednesday that the elimination of the "Tuck Rule" passed overwhelmingly at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. Buy Raiders Tickets. [18], Coordinates: .mw-parser-output .geo-default,.mw-parser-output .geo-dms,.mw-parser-output .geo-dec{display:inline}.mw-parser-output .geo-nondefault,.mw-parser-output .geo-multi-punct{display:none}.mw-parser-output .longitude,.mw-parser-output .latitude{white-space:nowrap}420534N 711603W / 42.09269N 71.26744W / 42.09269; -71.26744. Get over it, pathetic Raiders fans. You guys amaze me with your stupid rule book bs. NFL overwhelmingly kills 'Tuck Rule' - The Boston Globe The thing that makes no sense is is that the refs had to have been 100% certain that when Brady brought the ball in it did not touch his other hand. Accusing of spying on . The Patsies got lucky, because otherwise, the game would have ended right there. He is a PR machine for the NFL and nothing more. It was a call that was made exactly in the context of the rule, an admittedly bad rule which the competition committee has never thought wise to change. But its not as if St. Louis would have replaced New England as the NFLs most successful organization. As a Raider fan, I have a different take on the matter. Very easy to determine what the Qbs intent was and what happened with instant replay. I dont question whether the rule was correctly applied. It would create fucking chaos 10x a game. How To Watch ESPN's '30 For 30: The Tuck Rule': Time, Live - Decider And as long as were griping about refs stealing playoff wins, at best the Raider should consider themselves even with the Patriots given the atrocious officiating in the 1976 Pats-Raiders game not only was the roughing the passer call on Hamilton just as big of a game changer as the Tuck Rule (BTW, that was totally a judgment call and it was BS), on the Pats previous possession, as they tried to pick up a first down to ice the game, LB Vilapiano locked Russ Francis arms at the elbows preventing him from reaching out and catching an easy pass that would have likely ended the game. Players constantly diving after fumbles or incomplete passes. The Raiders went to the Super Bowl the next year, but were beaten by Gruden's Buccaneers, 4821 and the Raiders did not make the playoffs again until 2016. Cant have that! If contact causes the ball to become loose, its a fumble. Everyone acts like they didnt drive down the field and have Vinatieri kick one of the most difficult field goals in league history, followed by driving down the field in OT to get another score. The pain can still be felt. While I'm not arguing with you, but I know the general thing now is that if there's not enough evidence but only a sliver of evidence to overturn it, they won't. Of course, I think downing the football to save the clock should also be ruled intentional grounding, since it is exactly what is taking place. (This was also the game in which Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe was injured by a hit from Mo Lewis, giving backup Tom Brady a chance to play.) After he had begun a passing motion, Brady clearly ceased his throwing motion, pulled his right hand down below his shoulder and had touched the ball to his left hand when, coming off the strong side corner blitz, Charles Woodson knocked the ball out of Brady's hands. Brady posted his confession on social media, rekindling a. And having the help of replay, the ref ref who overturned the fumble should have been fired on the spot. Periera is wrong. Brady ended up completing 26 of 39 passes for 238 yards in the second half. Please check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe. So, either way, Grudens time in Oakland was likely over. Replays showed there was no illegal contact. A. Bitch!. And, no, he would not have lost his job after coughing the ball up. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be incomplete. 1 draft pick, Mike Pereira: Time to change the tuck rule, Report: Derek Carr wants $35 million per year, The Raiders are the betting favorites to land Aaron Rodgers, Mike McCarthy: Kellen Moore wants to light the scoreboard up, I want to run the damn ball, ESPN reiterates report that Lamar Jackson wants a fully-guaranteed deal, Arrest warrant issued for Jalen Carter for reckless driving, racing, Aaron Rodgers says hell make a decision soon enough, Competition Committee begins to explore the quarterback push play, Players say Chiefs discourage them from reporting injuries, have NFLs worst training staff, Report: Jalen Carter was present at teammates fatal crash, misled police about it. For that matter, neither do most sports writers. How about this for a rule: you lose the ball it is a fumble. This is referred to as the tuck rule because the ball leaving the quarterback's hands is considered a forward pass even if the quarterback intends not to pass the ball, but instead continues the forward motion to tuck the ball back into his body. Many thought it was a fumble, which would have essentially sealed the game for the away team. Nonetheless, Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon completed 10 of 14 passes for 87 yards. The rule makes sense the way it is, changing it would just create ambiguity. FYI, I dont give a crap about the Ben Dreith call. Jan 11, 2011 3:17 PM lets 1)reinvent the rule book in the playoffs; 2) use the reinvention to OVERTURN the call on the field; 3) reward a qb who got made a fool out of on the play, and; 4) nullify an excellent defensive play. This rule caused much controversy and was eventually abolished in 2013. Them I feel sorry for. It was one of the worst calls in the history of sports. They drove 61 yards in 15 plays, with Brady completing all eight of his pass attempts, for a total of 45 yards. The Tuck Rule was first enforced in 2001 when Vinny Testaverde faced the Patriots. Allen stated that he heard the Patriots' play call. I think its time to change this rule, Pereira writes at FOXSports.com. By rule, it was not a fumble. My god. Im sure its no consolation to the many Raiders fans around the country.. In the aftermath of the Tuck Rule Game, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick told ESPN, "I knew what the ruling should have been because we had dealt with that play a little bit earlier in the year on the other side of it. It was the right call. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Gruden was dismissive of Davis' views on the matter, and the subsequent breakdown in relations between owner and coach led to Gruden being traded to Tampa Bay and becoming their head coach in 2002. section: | slug: tom-brady-admits-controversial-tuck-rule-game-play-might-have-been-a-fumble-and-not-an-incomplete-pass | sport: football | route: article_single.us | While they were slightly out of field goal range, Brady dropped back to pass and dropped the ball after being hit by Woodson. It would make interpretation way more clear. Thats what happened. No team was beating the Rams that year without a game plan devised by Belichick. The name Tuck Rule Game originates from the controversial game-changing play. The nation was still recovering from 9/11. It would be easier to make the call based on where the ball lands, regardless of if the QB is throwing or not. In it's place, the following was added to the rule book: "If the player loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, or if the player loses possession after he has tucked the ball into his body, it is a fumble. Future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady admitted on Monday that the infamous play in the "Tuck Rule Game" may have been a fumble. Brady began a passing motion, but then ceased, before tucking the ball with his left hand. That is not a tucking motion That is already tucked. Arm is moving forward, still in the throwing motion, they hit his arm and he let's go of the ball early and it hits the ground. Plain and simple. The Patriots would go on to win the game in overtime on field goals kicked by Adam Vinatieri with a ball implanted with small but powerful magnets designed. Pereira opined on the tuck rule because it was applied on Sunday, when Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel went back to pass and dropped the ball when he was hit by Baltimores Lardarius Webb. ", 2020 THE SUN, US, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE | PRIVACY | YOUR AD CHOICES | SITEMAP, The 'tuck rule' became famous after a New England vs Oakland showdown in 2002, Brady in action during snowy conditions at what became known as the 'Tuck Rule Game'. Here's the thing. Dont fix what aint broke. It's been 10 years since the infamous tuck rule game, and the rule itself reared its ugly . Well, folks, The Bussy Contingency has been activated. whats funny is this is the one rule i actually liked.. its funny because tom brady did it and it became a rule.. and now a fairly lesser popular Qb to say the least has the same thing happen in playoffs and it needs 2 be changed? Now days it would be a hands to the face (hitting the quarterback in the head) penalty (15 yds) which is a little better than the incompletion I think. It was 10 years ago. THE 'tuck rule' in the NFL is regarded as one of the most controversial in sports history. During ESPN's new 30 for 30 documentary called, "The Tuck Rule", the future Hall of Fame quarterback admitted that if he didn't lead the New. The "Tuck Rule" game was one of the most memorable moments in Brady's entire NFL career.. After NFL owners voted 29-1 to repeal the controversial Tuck Rule at the annual meeting in Phoenix on Wednesday, it is no longer in effect. Once he saw a replay, Coleman quickly reversed his previous ruling, telling ESPN it was an "easy" call. The Rams were known at the time as the greatest show on turf, but Brady and the Patriots defeated the Rams 20-17. . And thus a valid call. Brady was patting the ball. Well start with Brady. In the second half, New England almost completely abandoned its running game and relied on Brady's passing. Tuck Rule Game | American Football Database | Fandom That's one of the primary questions posed in ESPN's latest "30 for 30" documentary, simply titled: "The Tuck Rule.". An incomplete pass stops the clock and prevents the loss of yards from a sack. Yeah, this is the problem. Though honestly, if the Patriots win it all this year, Ill be way over that as well. More like the Raiders started getting worn down near the end of the game, couldnt stop the Patriots offense or convert key third downs when it mattered. It completely cheated the Raiders out of a title run. Is hard reset only way to salvage Jets QB dilemma? https://t.co/0qXIiq5Ux9, Brady said, "The Tuck Rule game against the Raiders," then looked around as if to make sure no one was listening, adding, "might have been a fumble. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.[7]. . At all the Raider knuckleheads: How is the ref supposed to determine the exact moment when an arm moving forward transitions from a throwing motion to a tucking motion? In 2008, Brady suffered two torn ligaments during the Patriots' season-opening game with the Kansas City Chiefs. No such rule ever existed. Referees initially called the play a fumble and awarded the Redskins a safety, but after instant-replay review cited the tuck rule in reversing the decision and calling it an incomplete pass. if 50 guys at the bar think it's a fumble, then it's a fumble. And even if they got there, the high-powered Rams awaited. (Gruden would return to the Raiders in 2018 after spending a stint as a broadcaster with ESPN.). On the opening drive of the third quarter, he connected with David Patten for gains of 25 and 19 yards as he led the Patriots 62 yards in 12 plays to the Raiders' 5-yard line, where Adam Vinatieri made a 23-yard field goal to make it 73. Incomplete pass? Gruden was asked about the "Tuck Rule" before the Raiders played the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 27 . How about simplifying the rules regarding a catch while they are at it. The Tuck Rule states, "When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body.". Gruden made a reference to the Tuck Rule game in his introductory press conference upon his return to the Raiders, turning to former Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson and saying "Brady fumbled that ball". Tucker Carlson: Merrick Garland Is Persecuting Christians; Are You Really? I question the existence of the Tuck Rule. Smith runs second-fastest 40 by DL since 03, Saleh compares Carr to Stafford pre-Rams trade, Allen to be ready to roll for offseason program, How to maximize leverage of No. Im sure its no consolation to the many Raiders fans around the country.. The game, played under a heavy snowfall, was the last at Foxboro Stadium. It was enforced to the letter of the law in 2001. The 2001 AFC Divisional Playoff game between the New England Patriots and the Oakland Raiders, also known as the Tuck Rule Game or the Snow Bowl, or sometimes referred to as Snow Bowl 2, took place on January 19, 2002, at Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, which was at the time the Patriot's home stadium.The game, played under a heavy snowfall, was the last at Foxboro Stadium.