For example, if your garage door is a dark stain and you are faux painting your front door, paint the door Dark Walnut to better match your garage door. Matthew 7:7 presents a truth that is better than a genie-in-a-bottle prayer life because God guards us against ourselves by only granting actions that are best for us. I used the cheese cloth for in between wiping the gel to get more of that wood look with variations of color. This will help to create brush strokes and wood grain effects. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hey there, love this tutorial was wondering if you have any suggestions for a grey or black ish wood look my shutters are black and my brick is grey so Im afraid any of the colors you have in this tutorial are too brown. To protect your door and keep it looking like wood, youll need to seal it with a topcoat. I do not think the technique will work on metal. It's made of 0000 grade steel wool, apple cider vinegar and tea bags. This color combination will make the interior cozy and comfortable. If you are painting an interior door to look like wood, you want to be sure it coordinates with your home decor. The final step is to apply a top-coat to protect your door. Keep brushing in long strokes and you will start to see the appearance of wood grain. Here is a quick peek at my . Hi looking to do just this project myself, I am very much a step by step person LOL and video is great but I dont see any step by steps here no worries I am going to be adventurous but just wondering what the cheese cloth is for? I painted over all of my ugly orange mess with the flat latex paint.. Can You Paint A Fiberglass Door to Look Like Wood? How long will it last? Choose a low-luster. Nothing is going to make your dark wood trim look more orangey or "dated" than choosing a warm color tone on your walls (yellow, tan, orange, red etc..). Use long strokes on this section so that you start your start at one end and you dont pick up your brush until it has passed the section. I was going around your site and found your industrial look shelving A.N.D. Unscrew the hardware from the door. The Dark Wood Trim - Ack! Husband Insists It Stays! I wanted it to mirror the wood floors below. Minwax Gel Stain is a non-drip stain that adds natural colors and accentuates the beauty of a wide range of wood and non-wood surfaces including wood, plywood, veneer, fiberglass, metal and molded fiberboard. How to Whitewash Wood in 3 Simple Ways! - A Piece Of Rainbow After that layer dries, we remove the tape and retape the rest of the sections. I dont have a pic of a metal door. For each of the colors listed, you will need to get a half-pint sample size of paint. I bought the medium size can and it was more than enough. Thanks so much. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words! This winning makeover is brimming with rustic farmhouse charm thanks to new Clopay Gallery Collection garage doors. [6] Before you start treating the wood, use rags and a heavy duty degreaser to clean the doors. The sanding will only take a couple of minutes. I used Java for the gel stain and a lighter color to go over it. This includes, but is not limited to, other blogs, round-up sites and magazine publication sites. painted door !! Then, we will brush on one glaze later into the sections we are working on at the moment. Karin, Do you lightly sand between the polyurethane top coats? Next, take a 220-grit sanding block and lightly sand to remove a little more of the top layer of paint near the edges. I usually start with 1 Part equaling 2 TBS and you can always mix up more later. My front door is a metal door, which yours is, too, so Im just wondering if that is enough for a full coat or is it better to double that? We have to do something to our rental house front door, so paint it or fake it? First tape off the paneled area with your Yellow Frog Tape. This island has 6 doors and 6 drawers on the front side and 2 more tall slim doors on the backside. Use vertical strokes for. It's perfect to make weathered plank accent walls. Thanks so much for sharing! Welcome to Renovated Faith, where I share about DIY projects, my faith and everything in between! **If youre painting a door that has never been painted, make sure to prime it first! Be sure to check out the video to see exactly how to do each step. Great Job! 7 Gorgeous White Doors with Wood Trim Ideas for Your Home 2. How to paint your garage door to look like wood! - Giani Inc. 2. Blend Paint and Glaze Follow this tutorial for taping off the different sections of your door but do the process listed here: Easy Raw Wood Finish With Paint. When the door is completely dry, starting with the door panels, use a rocking motion to paint long strokes up and down the door, making a woodgrain effect. I absolutely love this! You will tape each section of the garage door as if it is a regular door on its side. Thank you. 33 Bookcase Projects and Building Tips | Family Handyman When painting a door, I like to paint the panels first and then move to the flat surfaces, always brushing in the direction of the grain. Remove the door from the hinges by using the head of a flat screwdriver to pry up the pins. I am wanting to take my white kitchen cabinets back to an 80s oak look. Be sure you use a good sealer. Base Coat See the information below for the right base coat for your shade of faux stain. Also adding some wood corbels for architectural interest. You can then create a woodgrain finish with your brush using a stri technique. The door looks so nice Debbie. How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood - Checking In With Chelsea Make your door look like stained wood with a simple 2-step paint process. This is the perfect alternative! Or darker gel and then lighter normal stain? Worm Holes. 8. This is a gorgeous color that is very rich and works with both modern and traditional color schemes. This is the original faux stain shade I started with and you can see examples like the dresser top in my master bedroom and also the gray entry table at the link here: How to Use Paint as a Faux Stain. Latex Paint Sample for Layer 2 Again, you will mix this by combining the glaze, a little water, and latex paint (sample size again). I understand that you used 2 colors of stain on the project the first being General Finishes Java in the gel stain done with 2 coats. However, if you are doing this process on an exterior garage door, be sure to use Zinnser Bullseye 123 because some garage door warranties will be voided if you use an oil-based product on the garage door. Hi Debbie Debbie Manno (Debbiedoo's) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to (Debbiedoo's) (amazon.com). We will paint on the base coat and let it try before taping off your paneled door in smaller areas to make sure the faux wood grain is going in the right direction. Ill show you exactly what steps to follow so your old door looks like wood for less than $40. So I decided to get out my paint brushes and start making some magic happen. We just had bead board installed and stained in our tray ceiling inserts in our hallway. How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood - Checking In With Chelsea Worm holes really help make new wood look old. Let dry. Step 2: Prime the Door Consider upgrading your garage door. Thanks for being a subscriber!! Clean the doors. Our exclusive engraining and staining process simulates a wide variety of wood finishes, from ash to walnut, including custom finish matching. Did you go lighter then darker? And dont forget a sample container of white paint for the driftwood stain! Please see my full disclosure HERE). Here you can see the second coat of gel stain and woodgraining process on the entire door, except the outer columns. How to Paint an Ordinary Garage Door to Look Like a Wood - wikiHow Be sure to watch the video for this section and if you have trouble seeing it in this post, you can see here: How To Paint A Door To Look Like Wood, YouTube. I first painted it red to match the dcor of our old home and later painted it navy and had white lettering made for it. How To Make Vintage "Old" Doors From New Wood - Design Dazzle DIY weathered wood stain. Thanks! . Baby Wipes (Required for Driftwood Finish and nice to have on-hand for any other finishes) I recommend Huggies Natural Care because I can guarantee the chemicals in those wipes will not wipe away the dried base coat. I was told to lightly knock off the peeling and use a good primer to prevent further peeling then paint. It turned out great.. still very nice even without a top coat and that was 3 years ago..but it did take along time to dry.. before it wasnt tacky anymore. Required fields are marked *. After lots of experimenting, Ive found a faux finish that synthesizes the look of wood grain on any material surface. My home is decorated in the Farmhouse style and all of my furniture I painted my self (all white). Cardstock or cardboard with a straight edge, **May need primer if your door has never been painted. I just painted the island in the center of the kichen. When that dries, we will brush on the second glaze layer which acts as a wood grain finish coat. 12 Garage Door Makeovers | Garage Door Ideas & Photos | Clopay I find painting furniture much more tedious lol. In other words, you are not trying to sand off the old finish. My garage door faces the front of our house but because it is not right beside the front door, I dont have to match exactly. Please and thank you! Make Anything Look Like Wood Wesley Treat 129K subscribers Subscribe 15K Share 1M views 4 years ago Note: Your results may vary! This is a really pretty option if you like the rustic depth of Brown Oak but want something a little warmer. How to Stain or Paint a Non-Wood Door to Look Rustic Once the paint dried, I started applying gel stain right over the paint. I began by using a 1 foam brush to spread the gel stain but quickly switched to a stain pad, as it was much easier to get it in all the nooks and crannies. (Make sure to read my post on The Best Gel Stain Tips and Tricks, too. It will help you have better success with gel stain! I also give you over 7 different shade options so you can get the exact look that matches your style and home decor. These homeowners were looking for new garage doors to complement the age and character of their 1950s farmhouse-style garage in rural Vermont. I made a shelf out of recycled wood. look whos tutorial popped up when I googled wood grain door. (This was before I figured out how to paint my own lettering the easy way. However, woods always look nice together. If you have some streaks where the paint didnt cover completely, that is perfectly fine and will add to the effect when we get to the glazing step. Can You Use Wood Stain on a Metal Door? Then you can go over it the next day with a traditional stain of a varied color, then wipe as you go lightly to get that wood effect. You can do the exact process with it hanging! These look so expensive, and she spent $35 on this interior door makeover! I would do a very small test first though. The purpose of sanding isn't to remove the finish, but to etch it so the primer adheres. Use a small drill bit or Dremel rotary tool bit to drill the holes. Each shade has a designated base coat color and two different glaze colors. I loved the articles on the paint colors, too. This type of wood is a dark type of wood and has a reddish-brown color, similar to cherry and cedar, that darkens with age. Love this! He ended up pressure washing a lot of the back of our house and windows but the exterior door looks great. I agree, doors are not easy. Click here to get a weekly reminder of new posts by adding your email address. The door required two good coats of the gel stain. Receive Free Email Updates About Videos Projects If you have a faded door thats stained, this is a great process as you can completely refinish your door without stripping. How To Paint a Door to Look Like Wood Stain {7 Realistic Shade Options & Video Tutorial}, How to Make A Metal Door Look Like Wood (Process Overview), Shade Options When Painting A Metal Door To Look Like Wood, Rustic Mahogany Faux Stain (The Shade I Used on My Exterior Metal Door), How to Paint a Door To Look Like Old Wood Rustic Options, Step 1: Sand First Before Painting A Door to Look Like Wood, How to Make a Metal Door Look Like Wood Prep Work, STEP 2: Prime Your Interior or Exterior Door First. Color Washing Paint Technique. DIY and craft tutorials. Learn how your comment data is processed. For exterior doors and garage doors, I recommend this one: Varathanes Waterbased Spar Urethane. Painting Tips for Exterior Trim, Fascia and Soffits, How to Gel Stain A Metal Door to Look Like Wood, How to Apply Paint to Look Like Stain on Furniture, The Easiest Way to Paint and Stain Laminate Furniture, How To Spray Paint Door Knobs So They Outlast the House, Easy DIY Patio Cover Kids (Shipped To You! And thank you! Dip rag in mixture and apply it liberally to the wood as you would a stain, wiping over it with a rag to evenly distribute it. Youll also want to spread a drop cloth underneath the door to protect surrounding surfaces and the floor beneath. Hey Annette, Dont sand between the clear coat layers. 3 White Wood Stain Options - Angela Marie Made I didnt do that to mine, but Im going to add that soon. They are super cheap compared to regular brushes and you can find them on Amazon here: Foam Brush Set, Top Coat (Recommended) My favorite for Interior Doors is Varathanes Water-Based Top Coat in Satin (see the current price here). Would I follow these same instructions or would the process by different? What About Zar Wood Stain for Steel Doors? I like to use large foam brushes because they dont leaf brush strokes and they are super cheap so I just throw them away after each coat. Yours looks wonderful! I love to hear your thoughts and questions! Clear Mixing Glaze Ive tried other glazes and this one cant be beaten: My Favorite Clear Mixing GlazeYou can usually find it at Lowes. It is much appreciated. I would recommend however, giving everything a light sanding before you start. This post contains affiliate links. To read my full disclosure policy, please click here. However I have not proceeded to second coat of gel stain as the stain is still tacky after almost a week. Thank you so much for sharing this! Yes! This exact same process will work to paint a garage door to look like wood. So it was either paint it white or try my experiment. **Here's a tip: get your mitt slightly damp with water before dipping it in the finish coat. Be sure to brush the primer on in the direction of the grain. With this easy step-by-step tutorial and video, Ill show you exactly how to do your own door makeover on a budget! This first picture shows the competed job. Use painter's tape to hold vertical trim in place and measure from middle trim to sides of the window. For more spiritual encouragement, click here for the rest of my project posts that also include Renovate Your Faith devotionals. The second coat of gel stain is necessary for getting a wood look finish! Required fields are marked *. Basically that just means that you're going to lightly whisk your brush over the surface of the boards. Hi, Jasmine! You can see my easy process here: How to Spray Paint Door Knobs So They Outlast The House, I like to sand with my Tacklife Mouse Sander and I go in circular motions all over the piece as you see in the video. At NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I will earn a small commission, if you purchase them. To make wood trim look more current and fresh, I suggest staying FAR AWAY from any very warm tone on the wall. Just be sure to not use oil-based products on your garage door as it could void the warranty. 3. Depending on if you want high gloss or matte. What is the Best Way to Paint Metal Doors that Are Rusty? Technique #1 Paint and Water: Steps Steps: Mix paint and water to desired consistency (for this example, I used equal parts). I prefer this to going to the trouble of cleaning a nice brush with mineral spirits as this is an oil-based product. How to Make Faux French Door Window Panes - Craftberry Bush Each bookcase door has a fixed middle shelf and four adjustable shelves. Read more here. I didn't want it to look "brown" or too weather-y, just a tad bit with mostly white. I think you should come to my house and do my kitchen cabinet. A DIYer, encourager, and tenacious problem solver determined to help you transform your house into a home. If you're comfortable removing the door handle, remove it to simplify the painting process. Really? Loving your doors! You want it to look rustic I assume. Love your blog, such a talented lady Supplies needed to make doors: Two paint grade 4 x 8 pine plywood sheets 1 x 4 pine boards 2o feet of decorative wood trim 1 x 2 x 8 pine board Wood glue Stain Minwax Pre-Stain wood conditioner Minwax Classic Gray 271 Minwax wood finishing cloths - Maple Minwax Dark Walnut 2716 Valspar antiquing wax. Seems much easier than painting all 15 and love the look! There are a couple of things you could try: (1) use a heat fan on the parts that havent dried up yet and see if that speeds things along; or (2) you could dip a rag or sponge in mineral spirits and super gently touch the spots that arent drying and see if you can remove the excess stain. You might also check out this post that gives you some more color options:https://renovatedfaith.com/paint-that-looks-like-stain/, On an exterior entry or garage door, What is the durability of these products with this process?. It looks very nice on the pine too, helping to add a more white wood look and a less yellow pine tone. How to Make a Metal Door Look Like Wood Grain Brush Strokes! Did you do it while the gel was still somewhat wet? Just pick a lighter gel color. Debbie..I love following you and your projects, we have similar taste. I want to say the color was Java. 3 Prepare to paint the garage door. The non-drip formula makes it ideal for vertical applications like doors and molding. Rustica also offers interior doors in mahogany. Yes I do. Types of Wood | Best Wood Types & Species For Doors | Rustica 2. I will have to check out your vanity. How to Paint a Metal Door to Look Like Wood - Lyndale Drive Once the whole door was covered in gel stain, I let it sit overnight to dry. Perfect timing! I cant get the gel stain to rub off and show any white when I applied regular stain and wiped it off? 6.13 Step 2: Brush On A Primer (Optional) 6.14 Step 3: Apply a Base Coat for the Faux Wood Stain.