A team of long-range shooting experts in Wyoming set what appears to be the new world record for the longest rifle shot ever completed: 7,774 yards or 4.4 miles. Furthermore, neither Scott nor Shepard claim to be great shots. The shooting team made adjustments and kept shooting. Nosler's Mountain Carbon line of ultra-lightweight hunting rifles was introduced last year, but new for 2021 are several popular new chamberings. Photo by Matthew Mellor. PINEDALE, Wyoming (KIFI) - A group of friends set the world record for the longest rifle shot at 4.4 miles on Sept. 13, but their journey to do so started a couple years back. Frank sent Scott a detailed email regarding recommendations as to cartridge, bullet design, barrel twist rate etc., which we are incredibly grateful for. #1. Even after everything was built and ready to go, this was not something that could be accomplished quickly. They sent a text message to the shooters location with a picture asking, You guys looking for this? Through cheers of excitement in the background, Lynn again radioed to the shooters location: Confirmed hit!. Alex Murdaugh is accused of murdering his wife Maggie Murdaugh and son Paul Murdaugh in 2021. Kremer's shot in Iraq was 2,515 yards long. The MAUSER 98 125th Anniversary Limited-Edition Series, FIRST LOOK: The Glock 45 Pistol Arrives With Front Slide Serrations, The Primary Arms Optics Gen IV SLx 1-6x24mm SFP Rifle Scope, 1876 Winchester: The Rifle of Texas Ranger James B. Gillett, [VIDEO] Here Is The Marlin 45-70 1895 SBL By Ruger Firearms. Thats, On September 13, 2022, a group of extreme-long-range shooting enthusiasts set a new world record when they achieved a confirmed target hit at 4.4 miles in the high desert of western Wyoming. Aside from the three-man crew, Team Global Precision Group rocked some serious gear, including a Garmin 701, Kestrel 5700, Labrador chronograph and Applied Ballistics Analytics. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Defense attorney Jim Griffin said Alex Murdaugh's surviving son, Buster, speaking on his fathers behalf at Friday's sentencing hearing would not have made a difference in the sentence, and only would have put Buster through more trauma. Co-authors of, Nomad Riflemans Guide to Extreme Long Range Shooting Fun. First, theres your rifle and your scope. They were positioned in metal bunkers around the target and listened for the impacts rather than looked for them. Paul Phillips celebrates after the successful hit. But while we're talking about long-range shooting, lets discuss exactly how much long-distance capability you'll need from your rifle. Scott designed and built the shooting platform. Target at an angle for incoming bullet descending at 48 degrees. This is not for hunting purposes, and the hit isnt consistently repeatable yet. This latest record was, unsurprisingly, set with the McMillan Firearms Tac-50, which was used in three of the five most recent longest recorded kill shotsin all three cases, the Tac-50 was. I could definitely see a splash from my 300-grain Hornady A-Tip on the steel. The resulting wrongful death lawsuit filed against Alex Murdaugh by Beach's family, who alleged he allowed his underage son to drive under the influence, was one factor in bringing years of alleged theft from his law firm and clients to light. Click on the image below for more details, In the extreme long range shooting community, there isnt an official standard for records. Those who cant teach., Their specialty is helping beginners advance quickly to great. The Captain's Journal At 2.35 Miles, This Is The Longest Rifle Shot It features a 40-inch LRI barrel with a 1:9 twist, a Cadex Dual Strike chassis, a McMillian TAC50 action, and a Timney trigger. Shepard was initially pessimistic about the accuracy and precision capabilities of audio spotting. Gun? Lynn devised a grid pattern to help spotters identify distances and points of impact. The pistol is built around the TXG tungsten infused heavy XFULL grip module with a flat skeletonized trigger. The shooter could see the white rectangular target at that distance, but Humphries said the orange center circle fluttered in and out of visibility. Call of Duty may have you thinking that there's a lot less to long-range shooting than there is, but a surprising number of factors play into making a successful shot: ammo quality and type, wind, temperature, barometric pressure your gun you Anyways, you get my point. 1. ELR Shooter Ryan Cheney Nails Record 4,137-Yard Shot Extreme Long Range competitive shooter Ryan Cheney recently made the record books by landing a shot on target 2.35 miles downrange.. Phillips, of course, is no stranger toshooting at extreme distances. Shepard and Jackson Hole Shooting Experience shooting instructor Zack Shelton built the target, using a wood frame and two sheets of 4x10 thin metal, making the target 120 inches wide and 92 inches tall. The CVA Accura LR-X boasts a 30" Nitride treated Bergara barrel with a CeraKote finish. These folks are amazing in every way. Team Global Precision Group pulled off a remarkable shooting feat recently. Scott Austin, who is the brains behind the rifle/ammo build and coaching the shooter, had learned much from months of testing based on number crunching with various ballistics programs, and was able to guide Winston in closer and closer to the target. All times Eastern. Confirmed! While holding the longest documented shot in history, Phillips said the team is looking to continue pushing the envelope and keep pushing its record further. The disgraced lawyer was found guilty in the 2021 murders of his wife and youngest son. Thompson Center Encore Pro: Best Single Shot Rifle for Deer Hunting. Springfield Armory Model 2020 Waypoint This is a brand-new family of rifles for Springfield Armory, and it's making some big promiseswell, small promises in the form of a .75-MOA guarantee. Family of man shot by police release statement, call it 'brutal murder', UPDATE: Man killed after police shoot into parked car in Farmington, Woman killed in Juab County crash with semi, Utah driver license now available on mobile devices - KSLTV.com, Fishermen find tattooed arm of missing man inside shark, Utah driver license now available on mobile devices, 14-year-old uses social media to track down man accused of robbing him. Just $1 per month , The story behind Ryan Cheneys record 4,134-yard shot, By With a 1.44 percent hit ratio, a shooting exhibition like this does raise an obvious issue: What does it signify in terms of actual marksmanship? World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday Registering for this site allows you to access your order status and history. Less than two weeks after the shooting, Alex Murdaugh surrendered to police on charges of insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud and filing a false police report. Fact check: AR-15 style rifles used in 11 mass shootings since 2012 One of the more unorthodox elements of this experiment was how the team of spotters located the misses. is the second-longest in history. 15 Best Long Range Rifles in 2023 | Ranked by a [Marine Sniper] Web r february 19, 2021 topic: Unnamed (australia), 2021, 3,079 yards; Web imagine thisbut like, way, way, way further away. Father paralyzed by rare, temporary condition, Mother of man shot and killed by officers has history with Farmington police, Police release timeline of events in Canyon View High gun threat, assault, Top 7 Reasons to Add a Production Printer to Your Business, History of Lighting Design | Over 25 Years of Providing Utah With the Latest Trends and Styles, Why Every Business Needs a Structured Cabling System, How to Create Strong Passwords You Can Actually Remember, Top 5 Reasons You May Want to Consider Apartment Life Over Owning a Home. After various testing sessions, they determined the correct thickness of steel. I want my folks to know how incredibly proud I am to be their Chief., He added, Today is not the end, its the next step in the long road to justice for every person who has been victimized by Alex Murdaugh.. Check. The Longest Competition Rifle Shot Ever | Outdoor Life "Next, the SCDC inmate classification system will follow the same process it follows for all inmates: evaluate the results of tests, assessments and screenings administered to him, taking into account his crime and sentence, and use all of this information to assign the inmate a specific custody level and prison," the statement continued. Since Lynn would be leading the forward spotters, and she is quite attractive and fun to be with, Shepard kind of wanted to be sure the bunkers would be safe. This speaks volumes about their integrity. Ryan Cheney Audio spotting has been known to supplement visual spotting, but because of the distance of the target, spotters couldnt always see impact dust from the bullet as well as they could hear it whooshing past. The target they shot at was constructed of thin sheet metal and measured 10 feet wide by 7.6 feet tall. The ZRG is Warzone's gun with the highest bullet velocity, which means your bullets travel faster and hit. In 2020, they guided a client to set the Wyoming state record for longest hit on a target at a whopping 3.06 miles! There were over 23,000 of those cubic feet.. "There was no choice, because he had been made out to be a monster he had to try to push back on that," Harpootlian said. Capacity: 10+1 Price: $1,599.00 No, they believe that extreme-long-range shooting is a sport of its own. 4. Those factors, as well as other environmental conditions, make a shot like this very challenging each time its attempted. Extreme Long Range competitive shooter Ryan Cheney recently made the record booksby landing a shot on target 2.35 miles downrange. Throughout the morning, the spotting team radioed with each other and came to a consensus about where each shot had landed, if it wasnt already obvious with the occasional dust signature and only the audible thump, and Lynn communicated to Shepard and Scott. This isnt the kind of thing where you buy a new rifle and some ammo right off of the gun store shelf and go get lucky, Humphries said. Longest Rifle Shot 2021. Bunkers? This was the most challenging, difficult, frustrating, time-consuming and yet rewarding professional project I have ever undertaken, Humphries said. Steel bunkers would need to be constructed, but how thick should the steel be? Web this is the rifle that set the new record for the longest hit on a targeta 4.4 mile shot using a highly customized.416 barrett. We've sent you an email with a link to update your password. Learn how you can create strong passwords that are actually easy to remember! Web here are the best long range rifles 15. Savage Model 10 BA Stealth 8. But theres a world of difference between ringing steel at a grand and doing it at more than 7,700 yards. In a FAQ video posted after their announcement, Humphries likened the shot to a world-record basketball shot rather than a military sniper shot. At the range though, youll need a box or two of the same ammunition, a fresh target, a Sign in to access your profile, save content and more. Alex Murdaugh, 54, was found guilty Thursday on all charges -- two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon in the commitment of a violent crime. This was the most challenging, difficult, frustrating, time-consuming and yet rewarding professional project I have ever undertaken, said Shepard Humphries. It wasnt dust or rocks kicking up from a bullet landing nearby, as seen from prior nearby impacts; sure enough, the steel had a hole punched right through it! but Maggie was shot in the back with an assault rifle . 6. To keep our integrity, we are claiming only the smaller distance. When we initially requested for them to build the barrel they notified us that it would take at least 12 months, as there were others in line before our order. Paul Murdaugh was accused of crashing the boat while under the influence, resulting in the death of his friend Mallory Beach. Unnamed (Australia), 2021, 3,079 . Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor 24 M-Lok Image: PalmettoStateArmory.com Action: Bolt Barrel Length: 24 Cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor Weight: 10.7 lbs. On September 13, 2022, the group headed out to cattle country near Pinedale, Wyoming for the big day. A bit after 7:00 a.m., when winds are typically the calmest in the high desert of Western Wyoming, Winston sent the first shot, which landed within 30 yards of the target a promising start. It would have weighed 200 tons and theoretically could hit. Ballistic software used Applied Ballistics. Get Guns.com offers and news!! Just fill in the fields below, and well get a new account set up for you in no time. The rifle, with customized parts and accessories from Canada, New Zealand, Arkansas, South Dakota and elsewhere, was assembled in Idaho by S&S Sporting in Driggs, Idaho. Thats when I was approached by another shooter who said I hit the bottom right portion of the plate, and I looked through his spotter to confirm. ET Friday delves into the high-profile case, covering Alex Murdaugh's alleged financial crimes, an alleged assisted suicide attempt, opioid addiction and a deadly boating accident involving his son Paul in 2019. Distance was measured using multiple trusted gps mapping applications as 4.42 miles and 4.40 miles. When asked about what he did after he was heard at the kennel in a video on Paul's phone, Murdaugh said "I got out of there," according to Waters. Below are the 12 Best Long Range Rifles. | Here is a complete timeline of the trial. You had to hit T6 at 2,203 to advance to the far plates. They also want to make clear that their team made it all possible. The long-range shooting world record was broken yet again when a team of spotters and a shooter hit a target at 4.4 miles (7,744 yards) in the Wyoming desert earlier this month. A prominent legal family with deep roots in South Carolina's Lowcountry, the Murdaughs helped found a Hampton County law firm that's more than a century old. Scott Austin, Shepard Humphries, and half a dozen friends surpassed the previous record for longest target hit with a long range rifle on September 13, 2022, but their journey started long before that day. The first four shots, my spotters and I saw the misses as I got closer and closer to hitting the plate. ELR Shooter Ryan Cheney Nails Record 4,137-Yard Shot Alex Murdaugh faces about 100 other charges for allegations ranging from money laundering to staging his own death so his surviving son could cash in on his $10 million life insurance policy. March 2, 2023, 5:07 PM PST. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. I couldnt believe it. Please wait at least 10 minutes before attempting another reset. This was the longest sniper shot in American military history. Steel bunkers would need to be constructed, but how thick should the steel be? He served as the coach. Weve seen an uptick in the ability of shooters in competition to get hits within the framework of these matches, where you have a handful of attempts (usually three to five) under a time constraint to hit steel targets at distances that just a few years back would be considered unimaginable. Then the video shows Phillips, after 21 cold bore shots, make final adjustments and find his mark. "This jury had to think he was a despicable human being and not to be believed. The bullet took 24 seconds to hit the 8-inch bullseye, but breaking the record had been the goal for over a year. The number for rifles was 297 in 2018 and 403 in 2017. I had my rifle dialed in for the hunt but didnt have the time to set my bipod up, so I took the shot off my pack and missed low. Then came the bonus plates at 3,592 and 4,137. To complicate matters even further, they had no way of judging the wind at every point along the bullets flight path. , Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries, joined by a half-dozen friends, hit the 8 bullseye with their custom long-range rifle, surpassing the previous world record of 4 miles! With the barrel angled so far upwards, they also needed to use a Delta TARAC just to see around the barrel. The proper equipment will make the process easier and more reliable. After setting the Wyoming state record of 3.06 miles in 2020, Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries gathered a team of extreme-long-range enthusiasts to tackle the world record.