"They said it was the next guitar off the assembly line after George Harrisons", Thats my original 12-string, he explains. Well, they all make a different sound, you know? The tour includes a headlining show at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on April 28 and at the UK's Isle of Wight . Mike Campbell has a resume that speaks for itself. I think the first thing I learned to play was Wooly Bully.. Pinterest. I played that right up until Tom sat on it and broke it off, says Campbell. Mike Campbell Heartbreaker American Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar We're sorry-this item is unavailable. Wed build tracks up, usually with acoustics, and overdub the other instruments to finish it off. He was real good at that, so it was kind of a fresh direction. So sometimes you pick one up and it feels friendly, and sometimes it doesnt. Mike Campbell is an American guitarist, songwriter, and record producer famous for being in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers band. Campbell reveals to Agnesi that he had been offered a 'Burst for $50,000 in the '80s, but declined, due to the guitar's darker tone conflicting with the trademark jangly and bright sound of the Heartbreakers. The Hfner Club, which I think weve used for everything for the last 10 years now. It's what he plays on 'Free Falling," says Mike Campbell's guitar tech while talking about the Rickenbacker 360 Electric Guitar. You dont say, Oh, this is the wrong well, so Im not going to take it! You take what youre given, and hope its from a good place.. So youre talking in terms of length of time youre out, as opposed to the size of the venues? Tom Petty &The Heartbreakers 2014 Hypnotic Eye 2 Guitar Picks &. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). Highway Companion I think I wrote entirely on guitar. I cant really remember all of them, but there was a variety of instruments. But I also like Michael Bloomfield, Jimi Hendrix, theres those guys who just play the s*** out of the guitar, but with a different kind of approach. I try not to (chuckles) because thatll wear you out. And amongst fans, hes a hero who, while keeping them entertained through parts of four decades, has battled to hold down the retail prices of his albums and concert tickets. So what age were you when you asked for a guitar? Id really like to find one of those. So I suggested to the drummer from my band, Go try out. And he brought them over to our house and it turned out they had lost their guitar player, so he said, Theres a guy here who plays. So I sat in, and we both joined Mudcrutch that same day. Benmont played a lot of keyboards on it. But it was fun. MusicRadar is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Ive bought many guitars from him, and a lot from Norm Harris. Fender Custom Shop Mike Campbell Heartbreaker American Standard They know what works to achieve a particular sound, and there's a little bit of room to see what else might be interesting. So in my spare time, I would just try to invent them. Mike Campbell Interview: Fleetwood Mac, Heartbreakers & Dirty Knobs That Excelsior, because they have the green one and other ones, but Nate White, at Fender, when these came out Mike did something with Danny Harrison at A&M and that Green Fender amp was there and he asked about getting it. I kind of keyed on the last big tour thing. It was built by Tony Revell, who used to specialize in Rickenbacker-guitar-looking mandolins. I bought this Rickenbacker six-string bass from the 60s. Paul Gray - Slipknot. Im always in awe of him, of his talent. It was the first one where we broke away from lip-synching altogether. Thank you for reading 5 articles this month*, US pricing $3.99 per month or $39.00 per year, UK pricing 2.99 per month or 29.00 per year, Europe pricing 3.49 per month or 34.00 per year, *Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription. BA1 1UA. If Im going to produce something, Im trying to make it the biggest hit Ive ever made. Once we started making money, we were just buying them left and right. Are you on the lookout for anything in particular? Its kind of a noble pursuit, in a way. Mike Campbell launched The Dirty Knobs after coming to terms with his increasingly prolific creative output. "The Garden has always been one of my favourite places. I like Wildflowers, which we did with Rick Rubin in 1994, because he was fun to work with. Early on, I wasnt buying guitars, because I couldnt afford em! The first couple of albums, I had a Broadcaster and Les Paul, and Id gotten a Rickenbacker 660/12 for 120 bucks its the one on the Damn The Torpedoes cover. The faceplate has a good amount of scratches on i " '67, 375. So, the next time I talked to Tom, I told him about this guy we might want to work with. Visit our corporate site (opens in new tab). Ill take it. And so we formed Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers around that group of people. Like Neo., See Eric Clapton make a surprise guest appearance with Jerry Douglas to pay tribute to Jeff Beck and play While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Larry Carlton demos his $641 Sire signature guitar, Nuno Bettencourt explains his secret to playing difficult guitar solos it involves getting his leg up, Music meets gaming in the Beat Machine, the world's first music-making arcade machine. But thats how I hooked up with Rick, and the good thing about working with him is that wed just done a couple of records with Jeff, which is a really fun process, but is a lot of building tracks as opposed to playing rock. In addition to playing on and co-producing Tom Petty and The Heatbreakers albums and cowriting some of their biggest - . Mike Campbell's 12-string Rickenbacker - Tone Gems Many of your videos are today considered groundbreaking, in retrospect. All rights reserved. Wed love to stay in touch, sign up for The Pick team to contact you with great news, content and offers. PDF Mike & Marcie Campbell - The Petty Archives Absolutely. He plays it pretty much in the set. The sunburst 64 Strat youre touring with now and have played for years, is that Mikes guitar? "Madison Square Garden is a big deal," he begins, ticking off the most memorable shows of their recent 30-date US tour with an almost childlike enthusiasm. Others he and Petty made iconic, such as the Fender Broadcaster he played on Breakdown and most of the Heartbreakers early records. Guitar lesson on playing with dynamics and using a motif to build interest into your melodies and improvisations Guitar lesson exploring voice leading, alternate picking and a TrueFire jam track Guitar lesson on using sequences to gain the 'wow' factor and beyond the Pentatonic box Weve been on the road four years in a row. This thing is loud, says Campbell. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, I still use mine in the show. "On I Wont Back Down, I have the Gretsch Clipper tuned to an open tuning that I use for that slide part. I think the first good guitar I bought was the 64 Stra Tom is playing on the current tour. Mary Jane's Last Dance - What amp is Mike Campbell using? Which contemporary guitarists grab your attention? Musicman Stingray guitar vintage 1977 11. You pushed it and it just got this great overdrive buzz. Mike Campbell is also in my opinion one of THE most tasteful guitar player ever alongside George Harrison. This is called Little Ricky. And the song I gave to Rick and Mick, which was You Wreck Me, was the same one Tom had forgotten about. 9 #5, published March 2008, Mike Campbell states the following: We love them because we love the Beatles and we assumed that they were using AC30s. 2) The second guitar that comes in sounds to me like it has a Tonebender or Rangemaster on it . In your view, what makes a good bass player? Yeah, it does. Mike Campbell's Life After Heartbreak - Rolling Stone Fenders doing a reissue of that Broadcaster. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. My approach to guitar, I think, is probably a lot like his in terms of fitting into the song and not overplaying. It used to have this great built-in fuzz and the destruct button built into it. Usually, but not on Highway Companion; Jeff Lynne played bass on this one. To read about how he and Tom felt like going to music college while working with Jeff was something that made me smile. I finally just threw it in the corner and got an electric Kay. Or do you just typically react to the emotions and events of a given day? If youre playing with the same five or six people throughout an album, you make a different noise than if, say, its just yourself on several overdubs. It kinda moved us up to headlining status. I think I gave it to a friend when I got a Stratocaster. I like everything they do. So far, has everything on tour gone as planned in terms of crowd response, especially to the new tracks? He likes that," mentions Mike Campbell's guitar tech while talking about the Fender 1959 Telecaster B-Bender Electric Guitar. Once I get in the studio and get working on something, I get inspired and can do all kinds of things, but it usually has to wrap up in a nationwide tour, which is a whole other mindset. I think I was 16. Well, I was very excited about it. Well, hes right up there. caniki Additional comment actions. We kind of found our sound, our groove, our direction. But back then, $200 was a fortune, but that Strat became my main guitar. As for guitars, perhaps the most noteworthy items are a Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite that has an onboard compressor a far-out choice that he used while rehearsing with Fleetwood Mac and a B-Bender-equipped 1970s Gibson Les Paul Standard. did you use to get the sound f "Rickenbacker, 370, 360? The Official Mike Campbell Reverb Store is online from Wednesday, July 21. What do you remember about opening it up on that Christmas Day? Mike Campbell on his many guitars, Heartbreakers and more Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers begin a World tour on April 18 in Broomfield, CO. Itll probably be a long time before I get to do another one. Reverb Homepage Contact Support 8c8a7d09e90f483fb6d37e1764114e10 Get the Best of Reverb in Your Inbox Theyve cloned it for me and are going to reissue that soon. (Image credit: Richard McCaffrey/ Michael Ochs Archive/ Getty Images), Beatles and Rolling Stones members reportedly collaborating on new album, How to make an ambient pad like Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene, Guitarist magazine demos the new PRS model that could set the standard for sub-$1000 electric guitars in 2023, Guitarist upgrades his $569 PRS SE 245 guitar to get it closer to a $5,000 USA Core Tremonti model, Brian Eno kept a backup, backup laptop in a fridge for his Acropolis gig with brother Roger, Timbaland chats to Justin Timberlake about how they produced some of their greatest songs: He started humming and Im like Oh, this is it. Theyre tools, and I look at them like colors or paint brushes; each has a different texture or color, and if thats what you need, only that guitar will make that sound. I don't know. Ive refinished it since that day. I like to be able to just pull them out and use them on impulse if I need to. The afternoon after the emotional interview at his house, Campbell is at an enormous soundstage at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. Mike from Indianapolis Good interview! 5. Overview A phenomenal reproduction of a great guitar. Well, I dont know its over 100, and theyre all really good ones. And I go, It sounds like Clapton and Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Mike Bloomfield, like it reminded me of those tones. I thought that it was just the way guitars were. Maybe a cranked Princeton or Deluxe? Its hard, theres just so many great guitarists from that era, its just hard to narrow them down to who your favorites are, but George is definitely one of mine. "This '54 Tele - it's a favorite Tele. Taylor Swift 6 Guitar Picks RED Concert Tour Souvenir Set . MR. BIG Addicted to that Rush Vintage 1989 Promotional Guitar Pick Paul Gilbert. Duesenberg Starplayer TV Mike Campbell Left Handed This is for everything else for 12-strings," says Mike Campbell's guitar tech about the Rickenbacker 1967 375 Electric Guitar. With more than 80 million albums sold worldwide, and countless anthems from Refugee to American Girl and Free Fallin to Mary Janes Last Dance under their belts, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Famers are in the DNA of an audience that encompasses all ages and walks of life. How much does the guitar influence the way you write songs? Well, its mostly about the groove, isnt it? For instance, you played Vox Phantom in the video for Refugee.. $11.15 shipping. Well, I finished the semester, but then we started getting gigs and I never went back to school. In fact, some of the band members werent cutting it in the studio, and the deal fell apart. Its the third Rickenbacker 12-string ever made. Next is a recent Fender Custom Shop Tele with a B-Bender used as a backup, then a pair of Rickenbacker 12-stringsthe one on the right is used on "Free Fallin." Campbell's guitar tech, Steve Winstead, walks us through every guitar, amp, and pedal and lets us in on Campbell's time-tested formula for great tone. It used to be people didnt really want much for them because they were old. The same with Carl Wilson. Wed never played Fenway and that was epic. "Its in your hands. Were you paying attention to guitar tones, or more focused on sounding good as a group? Not as much the brown ones I like the piggyback ones. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Petersen Concert guitar model A 6. So we pooled our money and drove to Tulsa on our way to L.A., where we met up with Denny and signed to Shelter. We used them on the new record. 103 views, 0 likes, 1 loves, 4 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Peace Lutheran Church: February 5, 2023 - Be Prepared Also of note is Campbell's '62 Les Paul SG Junior, which he bought at a video store, of all places for just $120. Theres a lot of Heartbreakers records that weve had to build up, as well. Guitarist plays $40 Harley Benton on arena tour, Marshall pedal reissues finally confirmed. He was in the Air Force, and hed come home from work, take off his uniform, and put on an Elvis record. Holding the groove down and a sense of melody, tone all of those things. duplicated, some of them were edited or compiled together. Its just a magic guitar. Its just like heaven. Guitar Center 1.03M subscribers Mike Campbell's guitar playing and songwriting come from a place of joy from his long career with Tom Petty & The Heartbreaks, to joining Fleetwood Mac in. We were band members again. All rights reserved. Mike Campbell on life after Tom Petty: 'I think I found my own voice' Call us at 800-449-9128. Bath England and Wales company registration number 2008885. Its such a good-sounding guitar. Then I got a 64 Strat, which I still have, and weve played on almost every record weve done. They just instinctively picked up on the tones and the feel of it.. Campbell is playing a Gold Top with coverless P-90s, a guitar that remains one of his go-to Gibsons. She showed up one day and said, Remember that $200? I said, You caught me on a good day! (laughs). I bought it like it looks now, with the three pickups and the John Lennon body. Tom played it on American Girl and used it for rhythm parts on several albums. Was: $14.99. Its so good. Through that experience, I got some records and really got interested in 50s rock. One day, I think Tom was banging on it, and it broke It never worked again (laughs)! We have a live album that Mikes producing, and a Heartbreakers album that was started a year ago and is a quarter of the way done. During the middle years of the band, that was pretty much all we u "'64-'65 SG. I realised that when you produce somebody, you really need to give it 100 per cent of your energy. In the eighties, the Sonic Youth leader emerged as indie rock's premier guitar radical, mixing strange drone tunings, jamming screwdrivers or drumsticks under his strings, and blasting out. I just woke up the other day and realized that I have been collecting guitars and amps my whole life and I just don't have room for a lot of them anymore, said Campbell. The part about production Im a little apprehensive with is that when people come to you to produce their record, youve taken responsibility for their career. Thats how I learned how to bend strings, by hearing him do it, slowing it down and thinking, Oh you have to push this down to get the string to make that sound. I learned a lot of phrasing and scales I just love the way he played on that record. Check these guitars out and more in the video above, where you will also find proof if needed that often all you need from a guitar is a single pickup and a slab of mahogany to create music history. Mike Campbell: The Guitars" is a fifteen chapter web-documentary series directed by Justin Kreutzmann. What was the effect of seeing him in that setting? Mike Campbell is selling a trove of vintage gear on Reverb, including a number of electric guitars and amps he has used through the years with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Don Henley and Fleetwood Mac. Yeah, the Red Dog. We bought that in Florida from an old guitar student of mine. [The Monza] is a nice guitar to have if you don't have an amp handy, said Campbell. I think I just played the Telecaster after a few times, and Jeff Lynne had some really nice Stratocasters at his house I think they were 54 to 56; there were three of them we picked up from time to time. Watch Jack White showcase some of his wildest Fender custom builds in explosive Saturday Night Live performance, Zoom unveils new B2 Four bass multi-effects pedal, with Multi-Layer IR, 300 patches and a 60-second looper, Satchel: Malcolm Young influenced more guitarists than Eddie Van Halen or Eric Clapton, Watch Journey perform Black Magic Woman with Steve Lukather and original vocalist Gregg Rolie, Exploring Brad Paisleys awe-inspiring acoustic country playing. $4.99 shipping. Mike was pretty happy with the dot-neck Gibson ES-335 he picked up, Yeah, I have one, too I think I have the only black one ever made. Mike Campbell is having an epic vintage gear sale on Reverb.com I have decided to sell some of the nicer pieces.. As we begin our nearly two-hour conversation, Mike Campbell admits that even after more than 40 years as the lead guitarist in the venerable Heartbreakers band, the pressure is still on him. We think whoever had it filed the horn down to make it look like Johns and painted it black. Howie was a great bass player. And the top horn looks like somebody cut it it used to be like the 12-string on Torpedoes. Gibson SG 9. $3.39 to $5.99. Youve said that this could well be your last big tour, is that right? Well, I would get together in the garage with buddies, but I never really joined a band until I met up with Tom in Gainesville, after Id gone to college. It reminded me of Jerry Garcia. So we met up with them and Benmont (Tench, keyboardist for the Heartbreakers) to put a demo session together. Mike had some really weird little guitar that he played slide on. 65, or 66. Loves the long road and on through the set," says Mike Campbell's guitar tech ab "That's a custom tweed. Youve said that it was kind of cool for you personally because it didnt carry the pressure of being the front man, so you got to sit back and play. "This is one of my favorites. Thats the one I used to record The Waiting and all those classic 12-string numbers. The cool thing about the guitars on that record, the electric guitars anyway, was that some were recorded direct. Thats where the 62 Gibson SG Junior and Runnin Down A Dream comes in It also just goes to show that sometimes you can pickup the best guitars in the weirdest places. BA1 1UA. The Garden has always been one of my favourite places. If the Heartbreakers are tracking, and all playing at the same time and trying to get a performance on the song a live performance and theres a call for a guitar solo, I like to try to get it within the performance of the band or at least get the essence of it. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Mike Campbell is a personal hero of mine. Its kinda out of control (laughs).