(step-by-step information on troubleshooting the most common broadband problems), Learn what 'fibre'broadband' is and how it can benefit you (including FTTC and FTTP), (step-by-step guide to resolving a problem with your broadband provider), (How to switch/migrate broadband supplier and details of the core underlying switching processes that are used. I expect others to help.. (if you use one of the big 4, read this! They explained very clearly that just because a cable passes my house does not mean I can order a service. We're network builders We build and maintain the UK's largest broadband network. (ARCHIVE) Ofcom is not expecting to introduce cost based regulation on fibre services for at least 10 years. 25 of the Best Amazon Prime Series Right Now, The Mountain Village in the Path of Indias Electric Dreams, China Is Relentlessly Hacking Its Neighbors. Access is also a problem via wayleave rights; you need permission to access properties, rip up roads and trample through fields to install fibre, and to string cables along telegraph poles. Partially because of the best deals being slanted toward them but more that the average user just doesnt see the value in the higher tiers yet. This role is essential to the inlife management of the Openreach network. An announcement on that is expected imminently. Hosted by NetConnex in Telehouse, London. openreach big bold plan. When it comes to broadband (as well as TV and phone packages), theres the network that carries the data and then theres the broadband and TV bundles that you order for your home. Broadband not working? It's our mission to build the best possible network with the highest quality of service, and make sure . Plan With Me | Big Vertical Happy Planner | Weekly February 26 - March Quite a few ISPs now have two year terms, as do many mobile contracts. Unhappy with Openreach work? Openreachs infrastructure connects homes and businesses across the UK. When is Eurovision and how do you get tickets? "And the reason we believe in competition is we actually think that's best for the consumer. So Connections Available today is the number of properties who have ordered and had ONT installed and that figure is in the quarterly financial results as premises connected. Sky Fibre to Giganet Fibregood or bad idea? CityFibre, etc, are Openreachs competition after all. When it comes to the actual build, we might discover conditions on the ground which restrict the proportion of an exchange area that we can upgrade. According to Ofcom, while 95 per cent of premises in the UK already have access to superfast broadband which the regulator defines as above 30Mbps only 45 per cent have signed up for it. Or do you think the engineers are putting this content together? Is the 3.2m rural in the 20m or is it on top? For example we connect new housing developments to fibre all the time and right across the UK. BT has said it will "build like fury" to roll out full-fibre internet connections after new rules announced by the UK's telecoms regulator. If theres a problem with the network for example physical damage to the cabinet or a telegraph pole then you should contact us. Here are some things you can try. Our experience on the ground has given us greater confidence in the ability, level and accuracy of our plans, so from December 2022, we intend simplify our Ultrafast Full Fibre Broadband Build Plan and provide more detail about when we intend to start building in each area. Our tracking of their footprint had reached 3,918,882 premises as of last night and we are expecting/hoping to reach 4 million premises on 12th April 2021. This news will please the Government and its 85% Gigabit target since Openreach actually following through on its 20 million FTTP premises means at least 65% FTTP coverage (some will be built after the Gigabit 31st March 2026 deadline), combine this with the rural interventions, Virgin Media Gig1 and the 40+ other FTTP roll-outs things are looking like a lot of work still but still very positive. Rather than continuing to force down prices of entry level copper and partial fibre (FTTC) services regulation will operate to keep these services prices flat in the real term. This means that landline voice calls will be transmitted in the same way your broadband works. Broadband switches should be less 'hassle' - Ofcom, Broadband cost 'locks poorest out' of key services, Openreach creating 5,300 jobs to aid fibre rollout, BT faces lawsuit over landline 'overcharging', China looks at reforms to deepen Xi's control, Historic ocean treaty agreed after decade of talks, Inside the enclave surrounded by pro-Russia forces, 'The nurses wanted me to feel guilty about my abortion, From Afghan TV fame to a US factory floor. With revenues of 5.1bn last year and 33,000 employees from the Shetland Islands to Penzance, Openreachs network provides the backbone of Britains internet network. (check your broadband speed instantly using the most accurate UK based speed test), (continuous monitoring of your broadband quality), (test files of varying sizes to help users diagnose problems with their broadband connection. "The harder bit then is what will happen with the 25 per cent or so that the commercial operators have shown no interest in yet," he says. (ARCHIVE) So far, weve included more than 170 city locations in our multi-billion-pound build, including the UKs biggest cities (Birmingham, Belfast, London and Manchester). The re-branding exercise actually started, in a very low-key way, a few short . Contact us. The line monitoring system allows you to track the performance of your broadband connection in terms of latency and packet loss. Technical delivery Team Leader - British Telecom | KariER.co Obviously 3.9 million is a lot less than 4.5 million but our verification of the footprint has always been 6 to 10 weeks behind the Openreach figures released, some of this is things like new build properties which are built but the postcodes are not in our database yet (updated quarterly via ONS sets). Openreach echoed that: "Government will need to subsidese rural deployment in areas which are otherwise not commercially viable," the spokesperson said. The second line was fitted a 3 weeks ago and I can literally watch my new router drop out then 2 seconds later the first original line then goes down yet BT say its fixed to my provider and then its a run around getting it sorted and worst of all I am BLIND! New details reveal that Beijing-backed hackers targeted the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, adding to a string of attacks in the region. Openreach statement on reaching 4.5 million FTTP premises, The latest offers and discounts and special offers on broadband, Search and filter our complete broadband package list, Compare the ratings of broadband providers, Rate your broadband connection (requires login). The team plays a key role in delivering the Openreach Big bold plan, supporting better service, broader coverage and faster speeds, through ensuring that the our network has the highest possible availabily and quality standards. OR really cant compete directly with Cityfibre in the current urban and their 85% with their overheads. Openreach's infrastructure connects homes and businesses across the UK. Well regularly update this map with any interim changes to the published plans for example, if plans evolve or get delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. Unfortunately, some properties are simply too complex for any company to upgrade commercially. About 2.1 million UK homes now have access to full fibre a figure that is set to double this year to four million as pavements and roads across the land are carved up with diamond cutter machines designed to lay cables directly into trenches dug into the asphalt. At the same time the operator is under pressure to ensure that the products they offer are as competitive as possible (while keeping Ofcoms regulatory whiskers happy), particularly with so many new alternative network (AltNet) ISPs entering the market often alongside some quite aggressively low prices (i.e. (There is a slight caveat to this since some new build properties will have the ONT present and may just need the serial number linking to an account, some might still need fibre work). The original switch to rolling our more FTTP from Openreach happened at a time that saw outside investment increase amongst its competitors. The price Openreach charges for faster and more reliable FTTP connections will remain unregulated. Johnson's goal can be met, but it'll require broadband leadership that no British government has yet displayed, as well as hundreds of millions of pounds and plenty of hard work. Openreach says it has passed 4.5 million premises with FTTP. A wholesale business which rents out access to its network to competitors including Sky, Talktalk and BTs own retail arm, Openreach may be the 800 pound gorilla of the industry but it is not the only player. BT scraps hunt for Openreach partner as fibre rollout costs fall @thinkbroadband @zeninternet Im plugged into the same exchange as my sister that lives 100 yard from me. Connecting you to the world. Some of our fibre build is not organised into these exchange areas, and so even if we dont have major plans for an area, we may still be building fibre for some customers. The CEO of Openreach (), Clive Selley, has warned that the UK Government's proposed framework for how it intends to invest 5bn in order to ensure that "every home" can access gigabit-capable broadband (1Gbps+) by the end of 2025 is so complicated that it risks being turned into a "bureaucratic car crash."Delays likely. All rights reserved. What this review does not do is ensure ultrafast connections reach the 20% of the country where BT and its rivals still don't believe they can make a commercial return. The breakthroughs and innovations that we uncover lead to new ways of thinking, new connections, and new industries. Openreach is by far the largest full fibre operator in the United Kingdom and its latest figure of 4.5 million premises passed is around 4.5 times the next nearest operator. Todays regulation will allow us to ramp up to 3 million premises per year providing vital next generation connectivity for homes and business right across the UK. To run our network we split the UK up into around 5,600 areas, with each one usually covering a village, small town or part of a larger town or city. Just been upgraded to FTTP on Openreach. Its good to have competition, so I say bring it on. BT has said it will "build like fury" to roll out full-fibre internet connections after new rules announced by the UK's telecoms regulator. @unknown101 I can see the point @doowles is making. Shifting to vodafone full fibre - gotchas? The WIRED conversation illuminates how technology is changing every aspect of our livesfrom culture to business, science to design. Although Corbyns nationalisation plans have been killed off, they have succeeded in something else: reanimating a debate over whether Openreach should be fully broken off from BT to inject more competition into the market, which critics say remains unhealthily dominated by the former nationalised monopoly. Virgin would have had a tricky time trying to run a commercial network when we were giving broadband away for free.. However surely when you ordered the second line the ISP gave you a speed estimate? If they want to reach most of the potential customer base they have to pay Openreach. With mass layoffs and pulled job offers, early-career workers no longer see tech giants as a safe bet.