The HKU registry key will only be available if a user is logged in. Checking the installed software versions by using PowerShell allows you to gather data that you need much quicker. It is slow, clunky, and only moderately useful. And of course, depending on my needs, I could have also used alternative output methods like Out-GridView or Export-Csv. Checking the installed software versions by using PowerShell allows gathering data that we need much quicker. Get-InstalledProgram -All. In the InApps & features, youwill see a list of installed Applications. Summary: List Installed Software in Local Machine; List Installed Software in Remote Computer; Get List of Installed Products with Filter; Export Installed Product List into CSV file I believe you can leverage .NET to get remote access to the registry without WinRM using the "Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey" class, but as you are new to . The method used in this script gets only the value of the DisplayVersion attribute. How do I align things in the following tabular environment? Registry entries and values are not components of that hierarchy. To display only specific software, you can modify the last line to, for example: $list | where { $_.DisplayName -like "Mozilla*"} | select ComputerName, DisplayName, DisplayVersion | FT. hey even i need licenses of installed applications in win, did you find solution for it? } This will locate any vendor with a V in its name. Looking for keys that have a user SID in them. Somehow like u explained with the -like Mozilla* command can I filter for -like DNSNAME*. Here is the command: Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Where-Object {$_.Vendor -Match "VM*"} | Select-Object Vendor, Name. Example Visual Studios installs a ton of software besides Visual Studios. Required fields are marked *. Now, if we wanted to parse that for just the ```DisplayName`` we could: Is RegistryKey which, apparently, doesnt play well with the pipeline because it functions similar to a hashtable which requires us to access key value pairs instead of properties. (For more information, see Event log message indicates that the Windows Installer reconfigured all installed applications). thumb_up thumb_down Peter (Action1) Brand Representative for Action1 datil Not really. I started in the IT industry in 1996 with DOS and various flavors of *NIX. Bonus: You can also query Win32_operatingsystem datastore etc. Is there any way we can run this for multiple servers by passing the value in a loop from a .txt or .csv file? This script uses Get-ItemProperty and the Registry provider to retrieve keys from HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ on 32 and 64 bit computers. However, sometimes the best solution is dictated by the environment or requirements you are working with. Here is a list of some interesting guide: How to remove pre-provisioned apps from Windows Imageand how todetermine Apps UWP and remove pre-provisioned appxin Windows 10. Currently testing this on a client computer to which Im connected with Enter-PSSession. and it all works great against multiple PCs. You are able to get a wealth of information about this whatever software is installed. It was way cool, and both Marc and his wife Pam are terrific hosts. following short script returns the list of applications together with their versions: Now, take a Get the code Description Get-InstalledSoftware opens up the specified (remote) registry and scours it for installed software. Just remember this cmdlet takes forever to finish for a single PC, even more when done remotely. The results should be displayed as shown in the screenshot below: Related information Microsoft Security Advisories and Bulletin To get a list of installed applications by vendor, kindly run the command below. You could do something like that (the script assumes you have a CSV file with the ComputerName header: $pcnames = Import-Csv -Path $pcnames = $pcnames.ComputerName foreach ($pcname in $pcnames){ $pcname; Get-WmiObject Win32_Product -ComputerName $pcname | select Name,Version }, Many Thanks for this If I need to use registry script for remote computer and make it list specific software for example list firefox and its version, This section explains how to do this. Get-Help WinRM. Im afraid there is no easy way to fetch any licensing details using PowerShell each vendor can have a different method of storing this kind of information. In the code you have defined: which only limits the function to a single PC. -u Specifies optional user name for login to remote computer. How to use Slater Type Orbitals as a basis functions in matrix method correctly? If you want to explore the . As others have pointed out, there are a lot better and easier ways to gather information without invoking the Win32_Product class. if ($Connection -eq $null){ In 2008, I made the move to Windows PowerShell and have never looked back. Summary: Learn how to use Windows PowerShell to quickly find installed software on local and remote computers. DV - Google ad personalisation. If you'd rather not build your own code to do this, I've already built a function called Get-InstalledSoftware that uses this method. Unfortunately, not everyone knows this. With that said, you could use a different method than WinRM to poll those registry values. What is the purpose of non-series Shimano components? Alternatively, enter: wmic /output:C:\InstallList.txt product get name,version. If you have an application that makes use of the, On Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and newer operating systems, querying. Find out how we comply with ISO, GDPR, PCI and other norms and regulations. I tested it on my computer and it worked fine, but when I try to use in my network I am getting the error below. What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots? On Windows 11 open PowerShell and enter 1 winrm qc This enables Windows Remote Management. Comments are closed. k. is a controller of your personal data. I see that similar mindset and participation reflected in the esprit de corps (or cohesion) of the Windows PowerShell community. This will allow me to query each key easily later. Below is the exp There are many guides to configuring this across your environment with things like Group Policy. Step 3: Choose Script language and type this command to get a list of installed software: Technical documentation, manuals, articles and downloads for all CodeTwo products. This process initiates a consistency check of packages installed, and then verifying and repairing the installations. The alternative to this is by digging into the registry to pull information about installed software. To save all results in a HTML file (Tabular format), then the command is wmic /output:software.htm product get Name, Version /format:htable. Please verify its network connectivity and try again. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I'll do this by using each registry value's name as a property and the actual data for the property value. the cmdlet used before: If you applied Finding the best solution to a problem is one of the goals that I think drives many people who are successful at what they do. Office hours, holidays, phone numbers, email, address, bank details and press contact information. You can then paste that into a spreadsheet . If you enjoyed this video, be sure to head over to http://techsnips.io to get free access to our entire library of content!Finding installed software with Po. How to quickly check installed software versions, Email signatures, disclaimers, automatic replies and branding for Microsoft 365 & Office 365, Email signatures and disclaimers, email flow and attachment control, automatic replies, DLP and more for Exchange on-prem, Email signatures and disclaimers for Exchange onprem, Backup and recovery for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, Backup and recovery for Exchange andSharePoint onprem, User photo management in Active Directory, Check if GPO-deployed software was applied successfully, Cross-tenant synchronization in Azure Active Directory, Distribution lists in Office 365 administration tips, Update your Exchange Online PowerShell module to V3 before its too late, How to check Windows event logs with PowerShell (Get-EventLog), Move email hosting to Office 365 with IMAP migration, Exchange 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 mailbox backup by export to PST (PowerShell), How to find and change Exchange attachment size limit, How to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST using eDiscovery, How to sync local Active Directory to Office 365 with DirSync. All we need is the GPResult tool and names of the target computer and user: Finally, we look for the GPO name and check if it is present under Applied GPOs or Denied GPOs. of finding out installed software is most reliable for the recently added Product Name: . Product Language: . If you run the InstalledSoftware query, it lists all the softwares installed on every computer in the device collection. You will now get a list of each piece of software installed on the remote computer along with a lot of useful attributes associated with each instance. To view the list of installed programs, kindly refer to this guide for more information: How to query a list of installed programs in Windows via Windows Settings, Control Panel, WMIC, PowerShell and Windows Registry. So, with that in mind, lets actually get some specific data from each key! Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *. Do you mean this method? [String[]]$Computer, Get-CimInstance -Class Win32_Product | where vendor -eq 'Veeam Software Group GmbH' | select Name, Version View the list Installed Programs Using the Windows Registry, Command Prompt or PowerShell $_.vendor -notlike *PGP* -and $_.vendor -notlike *Intel* -and $_.vendor -notlike *Corel* -and $_.vendor -notlike *Adobe* -and $_.vendor -notlike *ABBYY* -and $_.vendor -notlike *Sun* -and $_.vendor -ne SAP -and $_.vendor -ne Marvell -and $_.vendor -ne Hewlett-Packard following cmdlet is, again, the easiest in the bunch, but can take some time to Lines 3 and 4 should be swapped in your last code box. In 2008, I made the move to Windows PowerShell and have never looked back. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session. So what is the best solution to determine installed applications? There are several registry locations where installed software is logged: 64 bit = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Login to edit/delete your existing comments. I now have all the code I need to execute on the remote computer. The Microsoft Partner status indicates that CodeTwo holds significant technical expertise in the development of innovative and reliable software solutions for Microsoft platforms. Applications and WMI scripts can be deployed to automate administrative tasks on remote computers or interface with other Windows tools like System Center Operations Manager (SCCM) or Windows Remote Management (WinRM). Receive news updates via email from this site. tasklist By runningRead More And there we have itan easy method to report installed software! Sure it is an old script, but there aint a faster way to get a real-time list of installed software using PowerShell, guaranteed. As it turns out, the action of querying Win32_Product has the potential to cause some havoc on your systems. Summary: Use Windows PowerShell to find hotfixes installed on your computer. If you copy and paste it into your console, you should be able to just run it like: 'Get-InstalledSoftware'. In addition, because I prefer working with the ISE environment, I have a modified version of Seans script that I store in a central location and refer back to whenever I need an updated list of installed applications on our servers. successfully applied to a user or not. In a script that Sean uploaded to the Microsoft TechNet, , Sean references a technique to enumerate through the registry where the Currently installed programs list from the Add or Remove Programs tool stores all of the Windows-compatible programs that have an uninstall program. Using each registry values name as a property and the actual data for the property value. Depending on the way in which the software installed, the software can be found in one of three different registry keys: HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall or HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall CodeTwos ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 27018-certified Information Security Management System (ISMS) guarantees maximum data security and protection of personally identifiable information processed in the cloud and on-premises. This list does not include built-in Windows tools. Or browse all disk partitions in search of a specific app. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Hands-on on Windows, macOS, Linux, Azure, GCP, AWS. To do that, I'll need to enumerate all of the registry keys under the HKEY_USERS hive. Sql Server similar. Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table AutoSize. PSRemoting over WinRM is what's used by Invoke-Command. However, I would not recommend querying, My modified version of Seans script creates a, . If you already have the file on the remote system, we can run it with Invoke-Command. */. Sometimes the right way to do something comes down to a matter of opinion or preference. This is handy because I can then refer back to just the array if I need to supply different output. The data that Ive decided is the most useful is the following, and youll notice that Im using the .GetValue() method we saw from before: So that turns into the following Get-InstalledSoftware function (Which you can now find in my Utilities Repo). Say I want to only report on a specific server. This command prompts you to provide the specified user's password. Windows Server PowerShell Windows Server: A family of Microsoft server operating systems that support enterprise-level management, data storage, applications, and communications. You can confirm this by checking the Windows Application Event log. Just one little thing. To make this a function we need to account for a number of things Ive mentioned in this post. Recently I had a GivEnergy battery fitted to the at the house. To find a specific program installed on a remote computer: Get-WmiObject Win32_Product -ComputerName $computername | Where-Object {$_.IdentifyingNumber -eq $number} Now, let's uninstall that program. I can now look for keys that have user SIDs in them and add them to the array I created earlier. elements because, by default, event logs are set to overwrite the oldest records I invite you to follow me on Twitter and Facebook. I now need to search through each of those registry keys for keys that have the DisplayName value inside of them. I gave this a quick try and while I do get results, the list seems to be horribly incomplete as compared to what shows up via other methods. This is just a quick reference for anyone trying to quickly pull off a list of installed software from a remote machine. Error 0x80090311. Hi, is there any way to then only get the value of an DisplayVersion? In the following example, I query both of my SharePoint Web Front End (WFE) servers by using Invoke-Command to execute the same Get-ItemProperty on the remote systems HKLM PS Registry Provider: Invoke-Command -cn wfe0, wfe1 -ScriptBlock {Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | select DisplayName, Publisher, InstallDate }. -h Show installed hotfixes. Allrightsreserved. Msiexec allows you to install, modify, and run Windows Installer commands from the command line. Software, Microsoft 365, Office 365, Exchange, Windows Server and more verified tips and solutions. Equation alignment in aligned environment not working properly. However, applications can be installed per user as well. [Good] The Win32_Product WMI class represents products as they are installed by Windows Installer. It is possible to remotely find the list of installed software on other machines. PowerShell: Get a list of installed software remotely Get installed software list with remote Get-WmiObject command. Update Management works with Azure Monitor Logs to save update assessments and deployment outcomes from assigned Azure and non-Azure machines as log data. https://code.visualstudio.com/ flag Report Was this post helpful? Until then, peace. -s Show installed software. name and check if it is listed under Applied GPOs or Denied GPOs. I was introduced to VBScript in 2000, and scripting became a regular obsession sometime in 2005. You may have to set the section policy to any of these modes as discussed these guide How to set the PowerShell Execution Policy via Windows Registry, how to set PowerShell Execution Policy via Windows Settings, and how to set Execution Policy via Windows PowerShell. Using any script can I get the list of installed softwares in those computers? @ChrisCaviness - I don't see any haxxoring here; he's looking for the INSTALLED programs, not the RUNNING programs. return the results. How can I determine what default session configuration, Print Servers Print Queues and print jobs. Use PowerShell to get a list of installed software from remote computers This is just a quick reference for anyone trying to quickly pull off a list of installed software from a remote machine. You can run Get-Package on remote computers by running it as part of an Invoke-Command or Enter-PSSession command or script. I am looking for script which can be run on any server or desktop to know the number of Windows application installed on different VMware virtual desktop and servers. On Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and newer operating systems, querying Win32_Product will trigger Windows Installer to perform a consistency check to verify the health of the application. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); When you login first time using a Social Login button, we collect your account public profile information shared by Social Login provider, based on your privacy settings. If you create a list of all the computer names in your network, you can use the methods below within a Foreach loop to return results from more than a single remote PC. The easiest way to remedy this would be to run Enable-PSRemoting on the remote host. This is a simple and straightforward query: It has a high level of detail (for example, Caption, InstallDate, InstallSource, PackageName, Vendor, Version, and so on). /* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. If you have any questions, send email to me at scripter@microsoft.com, or post your questions on the Official Scripting Guys Forum. For instance, let us talk about the task of determining which applications are installed on a system. Its one of the things that makes work interesting. If you have any questions, send email to me at, Use Custom Views from Windows Event Viewer in PowerShell, See Why PowerShell Can't Export Some Properties to CSV, Login to edit/delete your existing comments, arrays hash tables and dictionary objects, Comma separated and other delimited files, local accounts and Windows NT 4.0 accounts, PowerTip: Find Default Session Config Connection in PowerShell Summary: Find the default session configuration connection in Windows PowerShell. This also means they would need WinRM enabled. Product Language: . We can also specify remote computers as well as specific properties and namespaces to target. If it was installed for all users, itll be listed in one of two locations: And if it was installed for the current user, it can be found: If you are a human being and you take a look at any of those directories, youll probably notice why there is the App Wizard for tracking installed software. finish: where Unfortunately, there is no single way to work on all Win32 platforms. Latest news straight from the horse's mouth: events, software releases, updates, Outlook help and more. Syntax ) Learn more about using PowerShell to check Windows Event Logs and filtering results. This Powershell script list all the installed applications (32/64), particularly useful when we try to audit the list of installed software also helpful in license validation. Summary: Learn how to use Event Viewer custom views in Windows PowerShell to parse event logs quickly. See our Privacy Policy to learn more. Parameters-AdditionalArguments <String[]> Default value is None In this method, we simply paste a simple query: Also, we can filter the data to find specific applications from a single vendor, together with their versions, for example: This method is quite easy. So if we are simply getting data on our local computer, we can just: And we get great data in a moderate to poorly usable format: Immediate usefulness aside, we now know that PowerShell 6.1.1 is currently installed on my system and that I should probably update that. But before you can do that, you need to write that function. I am currently a senior systems administrator with the Department of the Army. Hi, Please contact our support through live chat(click on the icon at right-bottom). PSRemoting over WinRM is what's used by Invoke-Command. Our server experts will monitor & maintain your server 24/7 so that it remains lightning fast and secure. The Registry provider lets you access a hierarchical namespace that consists of registry keys and subkeys. The Get-WmiObject cmdlet gets instances of WMI classes or information about the available WMI classes. z o.o. When I am done, I simply output the array and pass it through a Where-Object to display only those entries with something in the DisplayName. However, applications can be installed per user as well. quick look at the HKLM element bolded above. $pcname is the name of the computer you want to query. The command to use this class is shown in the following figure. test_cookie - Used to check if the user's browser supports cookies. Name,Type,Description, ALYTAUS-PC,Computer,, AUGUSTE-PC,Computer,, AUSRA-PC,Computer,, BIRZU-PC,Computer,, VYTAUTO-PC1,Computer,, I got that message for each object in csv: Get-ChildItem : The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the command either because the command does n ot take pipeline input or the input and its properties . Im not sure I understand what you want to achieve. How can I use Windows PowerShell to see hotfixes that were installed on my computer Summary: Learn how to copy Windows PowerShell profiles from your computer to SkyDrive. Querying the Win32_Product class to determine installed software is more than likely not your best option. Click "Tools" on the toolbar in the left pane on the main CCleaner window. These cookies are used to collect website statistics and track conversion rates. PowerShell Installing software remotely on Multiple Computers Swapnil Infotech 612 subscribers Subscribe 275 26K views 1 year ago PowerShell Scripts In this video you will be able to. It is built as a function that allows you to query one or more computers and includes logging and error handling as well. 1. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Command-Line Utility (WMIC) isa command-line utility that allows users to perform WMI operations from a command prompt. Obviously, monkeying with the registry is not always an IT pros first choice because it is sometimes associated with global warming. Your email address will not be published. Summary: Learn why Windows PowerShell cannot export certain properties to a CSV file and what to do about it. Some other tools that can be used to view the list of installed programs is the UninstallView program from NirSoft. _ga - Preserves user session state across page requests. $Connection = Get-Credential -Credential $User One of the basics of PowerShell that is often overlooked (I say that because I often overlook it) is the difference between the While loop and the Do-While l "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", "SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall", . If youre familiar with the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) classes and the wealth of information that can be gathered by utilizing the. PowerShell PS> Invoke-Command -ComputerName Server01 -Credential CONTOSO\TestUser -ScriptBlock {Get-Package} Fill out the contact form - we will get back to you within 24 hours. It absolutely rocks! Below is one example and the result. This method At first glance, Win32_Product would appear to be one of those best solutions in the path of least resistance scenario. Next, I'll wrap up all of this code into a scriptblock and execute it on the remote computer. Of course, you can also use a software inventory tool. Here is are some commands to remotely query the list of installed applications and also by Vendor as you wish. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. get this hello Method invocation failed because [System.String] doesnt contain a method named foreach. Is it suspicious or odd to stand by the gate of a GA airport watching the planes? sp. I started in the IT industry in 1996 with DOS and various flavors of *NIX. Hey, Scripting Guy! } | If youre familiar with the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) classes and the wealth of information that can be gathered by utilizing the Get-WmiObject cmdlet, an obvious choice might be referencing the Win32_product class. Kindly refer to these related guides: How to Locate Your PCs BIOS Serial Number and System Information on Windows 11, and how to Enable or Disable WMI Traffic at Command Prompt Using WMI Rule. Solution: (Understanding) Do your part and help spread the word. There are situations where you need to check whether you or your users have certain software installed, and what is its version. . Get-ItemProperty does not have a built-in remoting command like Get-WmiObject does which means you would need to wrap it in Invoke-Command if you want to get results from remote computers. Here is the essence of KB974524. 2. The Windows PowerShell Registry provider lets you get, add, change, clear, and delete registry keys, entries, and values in Windows PowerShell. Summary: Guest blogger, Marc Carter, reprises his popular blog post about locating installed software. Can I somehow use dns name pattern of our machines to get all pcs? rev2023.3.3.43278. $Install_soft = gwmi win32_product -ComputerName $Comp | gdpr[consent_types] - Used to store user consents. Read about our awards, accreditations & partnerships. The recommended tool for writing Powershell is Visual Studio Code. We are here to help you.]. However, we are just going to query for values and enumerate subkeys. Your email address will not be published. In a script that Sean uploaded to the Microsoft TechNet Script Center Repository, Sean references a technique to enumerate through the registry where the Currently installed programs list from the Add or Remove Programs tool stores all of the Windows-compatible programs that have an uninstall program. You should look into WinRM as advised by @WillWebb and also look into Powershell Remoting. You can replace C:\list.txt with another file name or output directory. The output now includes the PSComputerName column, which will help when I want to sort results down the road. Once your account is created, you'll be logged-in to this account. Were also holding the Microsoft Partner status with the following competencies: Gold Application Development, Gold Cloud Platform, Gold Cloud Productivity, Gold Application Integration, Silver Datacenter and Silver Small and Midmarket Cloud Solutions. In the example above, running this on my home laptop, you will see the Invalid class error if you try querying against it without an SMS/SCCM client installation. (circular logging). Description: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Either way, weve now reduced the process to a one-liner that can be used in 64-bit and 32-bit environments: Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Format-Table AutoSize, Absolutely! to check only the recently installed software, you can use the following cmdlet How do I publish a Remote Desktop Application? However, I would not recommend querying Win32_Product in your production environment unless you are in a maintenance window.