By Joe Henricksen. More than that, he was respected and liked. PG Sr. 5' 10" 160 lbs. The players have repeatedly said they havent felt extra pressure to make sure that Smiths final season was a success. We came out here and accomplished our goal. Over the next 18 years, Smith took the program to new heights. Ive spent the last 24 years giving all my attention to other peoples kids.. Rose and . The Bob Hambric era begins in 1980 with the mid-season firing of Lamont Bryant . For better or worse. But if you earned the trust of Smith and it would take time for the few who did, especially in the early years of his coaching career he would let you in. It was never going to be easy following up last years remarkable season. 0. In that time hes guided Chicagos Wolverines to seven city championships and a state-record six state championships. The next highly-regarded prospect to play under Smith was Jabari Parker, who captured four consecutive Class 4A state titles while earning MaxPreps National Player of the Year honors in 2013. 773-535-3465/3236. And I see a principal in that postgame crush pic.twitter.com/bV8P6il45f. First published on February 8, 2023 / 4:50 PM. As a father-figure coach, he is stern while offering endless support and instilling confidence when needed. The perennial south suburban power lost two Division I prospects in the offseason, both transferring out of the program. He handed over a thriving program to Robert Smith, who coached Simeon to state championships in 2006 and 2007 behind Derrick Rose, now with the Chicago Bulls. Tim Vizer/Special to STLhighschoolsports.com, Vashon head coach Tony Irons yells instructions from the bench during a game against Staley, Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023, at Vashon High School in St. Louis. The Trevians, however, graduated four of five starters, including all-area performer Jackson Munro. Simeon basketball coach Robert Smith will retire after next season Robert Smith, the most successful boys high school basketball coach in state history, is closing in on 500 wins and has a record . February 8, 2023 / 7:41 PM Cheerleading and Dance Volleyball Wrestling Soccer Basketball Football. Simeon and Kenwood are both top contenders in the state playoffs. More:FAQ: What to know . Millions of high-quality images, video, and music options are waiting for you. Pocket. The new mayor has the power to physically remake the city or large portions of it. 293 Simeon High School Premium High Res Photos - Getty Images I was going to win tonight anyway if I won or he won. The Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) has played a big role since the 1980s. Velasquez did welcome back a Division I talent in the versatile Mekhi Lowery. What a breakout season its been for Marist basketball and Hynes. But there are teams, on paper, with more talent than Simeon, and Smith continues to always be able to navigate and right a ship just perfectly. Photographer Ricky Slaughter has posted a new gallery Simeon vs. Vashon (Bank of O'Fallon Shootout) containing 65 photos. They all just wanted to win and that's me.". Simeon head coach Robert Smith looking on during the 2019 IHSA Class 4A Super-Sectional title game. 3 in 2013 and No. The actor suffered a brain aneurysm Feb. 18 at his Los Angeles home and died in his sleep Friday at a hospital in Burbank, California, his manager said. How about 480 wins and just 92 losses and likely another 25-plus victories coming next year? Steele retired all six Padres batters he faced, then headed to the bullpen to throw 25 more pitches. Simeon head coach Robert Smith looking on during the 2019 IHSA Class 4A Super-Sectional title game. Smiths debut as a high school coach in December 2004 is one of the citys legendary high school basketball moments it also was Derrick Roses debut. Simeon carries themselves the right way. I was able to tell the kids about my decision today. Smiths program produced multiple NBA players: Rose, Jabari Parker, Talen Horton-Tucker, Kendrick Nunn and more. PF 596 PA 444 STREAK 1L. It keeps you working because you have to work for them. Football *David Thornton. The new mayor has the power to physically remake the city or large portions of it. The list includes some familiar names and past winners, along with some under-appreciated coaches who are receiving their due. Earlier today I was thinking about games I played in before and all the seasons Ive coached.. Simeon faces Curie Thursday night in the Public League semifinals as Smith chases his eighth city championship. Steele retired all six Padres batters he faced, then headed to the bullpen to throw 25 more pitches. It would be quite the ending to an amazingly successful run. They are both playing basketball now, and I want to be able to give them my full attention. Vashon takes down Simeon, extends winning streak to five Boys Basketball *Nathaniel Lloyd. The AAU circuit is seen as a chance of opportunity for high school players to play on traveling teams at national tournaments and gain exposure in front of top college coaches. Check out the lists below to see the daily stat leaders for Monday, Feb. 27 in five statistical categories: points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. 1 sectional seed. . In the 1990s, Mr. Hambric put together a stretch of 10 straight 20-win seasons. The best teams are analyzed and the top players are talked about all season long. That resonated with his players and assistant coaches. ALTON Isaiah Camper could only look over his shoulder and smile. Basketball; Football; But he took over for a legendary coach [Bob Hambric] and not only sustained the success but clearly surpassed it.. We all have one more year to enjoy it and to celebrate the most successful high school coach in state history. THE HISTORY OF SIMEON / WESTCOTT HIGH SCHOOL. Steele retired all six Padres batters he faced, then headed to the bullpen to throw 25 more pitches. There wasnt any fake or forced bravado. The Illinois Mr. Basketball award is given to the person chosen as the best high school boys basketball player in the U.S. state of Illinois.. The Trojans ended Hinsdale Centrals 23-game winning streak with a 53-43 victory in Hinsdale. If you know who the head coach is, invite them to join MaxPreps so they can manage the team's roster, schedule, scores, stats and more. Twitter Water Polo: Schedule Water Polo: Roster Water Polo: News Basketball Basketball: Twitter Basketball: Schedule Basketball: . That's about as much as Robert Smith celebrates, he isn't the jumping around type. Hes like a big brother to me.. "College would have to be the right situation. Retiring Simeon coach Robert Smith surpassed 500 career wins, spent most of the season ranked No. Revealing the high school basketball coach of the year CENTRALIA, Ill. East St. Louis senior Macaleab Rich can be a little stubborn at times. Coach Robert Smiths farewell tour took a step closer to the Illinois High School Association state finals in Champaign as Simeon eased past Mount Carmel 70-47 on Friday in the final of the Class 3A Glenbard South Sectional. (Allen Cunningham/For the Sun-Times) The best teams are analyzed and the top players are talked about all season long. Despite the loss of Wilson, Simeon returned to Champaign and the state tournament in the spring of 1985 before losing in the quarterfinals. His name was Ben Wilson, and he attended Simeon High School in Chicago. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, Area college signings: NCAA Division I and II, Area college signings: NCAA Division III, NAIA, JUCO, 4 killed, 4 critically injured in crash at South Grand Boulevard and Forest Park Avenue, Parents push back on allegations against St. Louis transgender center. The actor suffered a brain aneurysm Feb. 18 at his Los Angeles home and died in his sleep Friday at a hospital in Burbank, California, his manager said. More family time was at the forefront, including being able to watch his youngest, Rob Jr., play more. PF 1119 PA 1294 STREAK 1L. Bucknor for rejecting handshake: Zero class, Man shot and killed after fight in downtown St. Louis, Fate of St. Louis Fox Theatre still undecided, Liberty High student killed in St. Charles shooting could heal you with a smile, Brothers who did everything together, fashionista among victims in fatal St. Louis crash, Arch Madness: 2023 MVC Basketball Tournament bracket, schedule, game times, TV info, Centene expects to lose millions of Medicaid customers beginning in April, St. Louis prosecutors staff down by nearly half as caseloads jump. McDonald's All-American. Roster - Simeon Wolverines (Chicago, IL) Varsity Basketball 22-23 "I love Simeon," Smith said. Smith has been head coach at Simeon for over 19 years, succeeding the legendary Bob Hambric and has coached NBA stars such as Derrick Rose, Jabari Parker, Talen Horton-Tucker, Kendrick Nunn and more. One of them, Bob Hurley, is there because of the program he built at St. Anthony. He was a power forward for the high school's basketball team in the mid-2000s that behind Derrick Rose won back-to-back state championships under longtime . [Flowers] has the passion, Smith said. With 500 wins, Simeon basketball coach aims to go out on top - CBS Chicago Most of the award winners have gone on to play at the highest levels of college basketball, and many have gone on to play in the National Basketball Association.On April 5, 2010, Jon Scheyer became the second winner to also have played on both a high . Smith, 40, will have accomplished everything he set out to do at the high school level if he coaches his Simeon team to a fifth state championship in his eight-year career. 8. We were always synchronized and organized.. Greatest High School Basketball Teams of All Time | Stadium Talk When asked about his favorite memory, a couple involving Rose and Parker stood out. Craft, 55, retired in May as a science teacher and coach. He had 26 points and nine rebounds. DeAndre Craig led the Caravan (27-7) with 13 points. Smith is in his 19th and final season at Simeon. Hinsdale Central, now 28-3 on the season, hasnt lost since mid-December and is riding a 20-game winning streak. Simeon Head Basketball Coach Robert Smith Secures 500th Career Win Smith said. Sectional final roundup: Simeon, St. Ignatius win in 3A; Oswego East And Im sure glad he did. On 2/11, the Simeon varsity basketball team won their neutral playoff game against Kenwood (Chicago, IL) by a score of 72-64. Robert Smith swore there was a jump ball. In his second season as head coach, Hynes has taken a mix of seniors and promising young players and the blend has resulted in one of the biggest surprises of the season. 12-1 (W) Simeon vs. Kelly On 5/14, the Simeon varsity baseball team won their home playoff game against Kelly (Chicago, IL) by a score of 12-1 . [Smith] deserved it, Griffith said. Upload it here. I always tell people that [legendary Simeon coach Bob Hambric] could have stayed and coached those guys and won more titles himself. He will coach one more season a loaded team that is expected to contend for a state championship in 2023 and call it a career. High school basketball: Simeon basketball coach Robert Smith will 8147 S. Vincennes Avenue Chicago, IL 60620 . Collinsville played Chicago Simeon in the final game of the OFallon Shootout on Saturday February 8, 2020. One possession in a basketball game doesnt necessarily mean anything. Bob Hambric never had a losing season in 24 years as the boys basketball coach at Simeon Career Academy, winning more than 500 games, including the 1984 state championship. We are going to keep our eyes on the prize. Those who are close to Robert Smith knew this day was coming sooner than later. The address was changed from 8235 S. Vincennes Ave. to 8147 S. Vincennes Ave. Simeon Betts (9) P, OF, IF . The Hawks are 25-3, emerged as the best team in the south suburbs and are a legitimate state threat in Class 3A. Boys Basketball *William Buford. Feb 21, 2023, 9:26am PST. High school basketball: Simeon beats Kenwood in OT to win the city On Friday, it was Akil Watson's turn to burn the Roses, with the Arizona State commit shooting 10-for-14 from the floor and 3-for-3 from the free-throw line. And they generally always played with such pride. CBS 2's Matt Zahn had the story on why Simeon Career Academy's leader decided now is the right time. Membership Options Live Broadcasts Current Stats Media requests Photo Galleries SmugMug Photos Athletic Director Podcasts Basketball Podcast with Coach Noszka Coach's Corner Podcast . There was a problem saving your notification. The GOAT retires: A look back at the legacy of Simeon basketball coach Robert Smith This retirement is about all that Robert Smith has meant to the sport and, specifically, Public League basketball. Its been great the two times.. We knew what we had to do, and weve known since day one. Its not very normal for such a high-profile program and its coach to be so revered. .036. Simeon was always a great reminder that keeping it simple and structured can lead to high-level success. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Sport *Dante Culbreath (head) Football *Dennis Butler . 2023 Chicago Sun-Times Player of the Year: Joliet Wests Jeremy Fears Jr. Previewing Fridays best sectional finals, IHSA girls basketball state final tournament scores, Defensive whiz Richard Zoller, high-flying Angelo Ciaravino help Mount Carmel take down Hyde Park, Dear Abby: When my husbands brother marries, I should be in the wedding, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and wife to invest $250 million in new Chicago research lab, Jose Abreu on life with the Astros and leaving the White Sox, who werent a family in 2022, Chicago police officer was shot and killed in front of kids playing at school: They ran as quickly as possible just to get to safety, Dear Abby: With boyfriends fussy father living here, I feel trapped, Office of the chief architect: Next mayor has a big role to play in the citys design future, Taking aim at gun safety in Illinois invites tragedy, Tom Sizemore dies at 61; actor known for Saving Private Ryan, Natural Born Killers, Cubs Justin Steele back on track after efficient first spring-training start. As a result, his basketball acumen and work ethic often went unnoticed. Despite ample legal trouble, Sizemore had steady film and television credits. The Redbirds will face top-ranked Chicago Simeon in the Class 3A state semifinals on Friday at State Farm Center in Champaign. Carmel (Chicago, IL) by a score of 70-47. The Hawks are competing and playing as a cohesive group under Houston and are the top seed in their own Class 3A sectional. Simeon High School (Chicago, IL) JV Basketball - MaxPreps.com Hurley is the father of former Duke guard Bobby Hurley, and Bobby is one of 150 players from St. Anthony to play Division I basketball. A local school could possibly be good for me because the big thing right now is to be with my kids., Robert Smiths career at Simeon2004-05: 29-42005-06: 33-4, Class AA title, Public League title2006-07: 33-2, Class AA title, Public League title2007-08: 29-4, Class 3A second place2008-09: 18-102009-10: 25-9, Class 4A title2010-11: 30-2, Class 4A title2011-12: 33-1, Class 4A title, Public League title2012-13: 30-3, Class 4A title2013-14: 22-52014-15: 28-42015-16: 30-4, Public League title2016-17: 30-4, Class 4A second place, Public League title2017-18: 29-4, Public League title2018-19: 20-15,2019-20: 24-9, Public League title2020-21: 9-12021-22: 28-7Total: 480-92, .839. Wilson is noted as the first Chicago athlete to receive . PISCATAWAY - Even in defeat, St. Rose added to the legacy of an . The 2021-22 DePaul Blue Demons women's basketball team represented DePaul University during the 2021-22 NCAA Division I women's basketball season. The only thing I didnt get a chance to do is to win a national championship, and thats because the [Illinois High School Association] wont allow us to compete for that.. There wasn't much Robert Smith hadn't accomplished in his 19-year career at Simeon Career Academy. Simeon coach Robert Smith carries the state championship trophy at a pep rally in 2011. File Photo by Kirsten Stickney. 16-11*. "Just for that moment, to embrace them as players, and as people.". Wilson, a Neal F. Simeon Vocational High School basketball player, was regarded as the top high school player in the U.S. by scouts and coaches attending the 1984 Athletes For Better Education basketball camp. a future NBA Most Valuable Player who made Simeon the first Chicago Public League School team to win back-to-back state championships. It hasnt really sunk in yet, Smith said. Submit Roster. Im baffled., Suspect charged in fatal shooting in downtown St. Louis, Former Sweetie Pies TV star Tim Norman gets two life sentences in nephews death, Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol slams ump C.B. Interviewed after the 1984 championship, Ben Wilson said of Mr. Hambric: "We do things his way, because he's right.". No matter the star or the team, there were never big numbers thrown up at Simeon by individual players. Subscribe with this special offer to keep reading, (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). The Wolverines had led by 20 to start the fourth quarter, but the city championship was going to overtime. All those massive wins on big stages? He was always pretty private. I am one who has had the distinct privilege to be up close and personal with Smith and the inner workings of a program that few truly understand. A 2.8 at Simeon isn`t the same as a 2.8 at Crystal Lake South,'' Jackson says. Throughout his tenure as the South Side school's coach, Mr. Hambric produced disciplined teams whose controlled offensive schemes broke with the city's tradition of breakneck, playground-style ball, and fundamentally sound players conditioned to run all day. Theres no added pressure because that is always the focus. The Wolverines play unselfishly and disciplined, thanks to Smiths ideals and values of what team basketball should look like. Coaches and members of the news media from throughout the state have voted senior Nelison "Nick'' Anderson as Mr. Basketball of Illinois for 1986. CHICAGO (CBS) The most successful boys high school basketball coach in Illinois history is getting set to step down. Illinois high school boys basketball: IHSA rankings, postseason 2022 Big East tournament winner. Metamora's boys basketball team enjoys its first berth in state finals You started seeing the change across the city during [Smiths time]. On Jan. 24, Smith picked up win 500 when his Wolverines beat Brooks 82-36. Oklahoma HS basketball: 2023 Class B boys state tournament schedule The Wolverines also finished the season ranked in the MaxPreps Top 25 four times No. Hes simply one of the elite coaches in the state, and hes right in the picture again this season. He decided to return to Simeon instead and watched the Ramblers head to the Final Four. Along the way we at times forget about those leading them: the coaches. The RedHawks, who nearly upset rival and highly-ranked Brother Rice, losing 49-48, earned a top four seed in the tough St. Rita Sectional. Please enter valid email address to continue. We want to win city and state. People like to say a lot of negatives about Chicago, Kenwood coach Mike Irvin said. Having accomplished so much is part of the reason Smith decided that this season, his 19th, would be his last. Morgan Park, Simeon high school basketball head coaches suspended four On 2/3, the Simeon varsity basketball team won their home non-conference game against Clark (Chicago, IL) by a score of 78-41. Guards Sam Lewis and Jalen Griffith each scored 11. Despite ample legal trouble, Sizemore had steady film and television credits. Simeon coach Robert Smith cheers his team on against Curie in 2018. Oswego East has been a fixture in the top 25 all season and settled in as the No. Just ask the fine people of Pontiac how much they appreciate their adopted program each December at the prestigious holiday tournament. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. Smith, who is also Simeon's athletic director, hands the job over to his assistant coach and former player Tim Flowers, who will begin his tenure during the 2023-24 season. 2021-22 DePaul Blue Demons women's basketball team Key Illinois high school baseball Week 10 games, computer rankings, stat leaders, schedules & scores - live & final. And while he won and won bigger than anyone he never, ever was full of himself or took himself too seriously. Demarion Burch and Simeon Murchison lead Milwaukee Hamilton basketball The Red Devils began the season unranked and have climbed into the top 10. He made sure that we were confident. Girls Basketball Head Coach: Kim Williams kawilliams62@cps.edu. Whether it was colleagues in the coaching business, including high school coaches who were beaten by him or college coaches recruiting his players, the respect was palpable. Smith was a student . Feb 28, 2023. "He used to have a saying, 'Come the fourth quarter, you'll see who can play.'". Bob Hambric never had a losing season in 24 years as the boys basketball coach at Simeon Career Academy, winning more than 500 games, including the 1984 state championship. As it has so often since he took over the Simeon program in 2004, history turned Smiths way. He went on to LeMoyne-Owen College in Memphis, where he was captain of the basketball team and an honors student. Kenwood has never won a city title. OVERALL 11-17 0.39 Win % CONFERENCE 3-5 6th in Conference. Smith has stressed that this season is about the kids, not his farewell tour. The plan was to win city. Flowers is currently an assistant coach at Simeon. When rival coach and now friend Tyrone Slaughter of Young heard the news, he didnt hesitate in making a bold statement. Simeon All Access: Administrators, parents, coaches search for answers in wake of shooting death of 17-year-old Morgan Park student Tyrone Lawson after a Morgan Park Simeon basketball game at . The Wolves have won 25 games and gone a perfect 16-0 in the league, including going on the road and handing Joliet West its only conference loss. Lawmakers and others should not seek to undo laws meant to protect people from gun violence. It has been great despite the results. And thats because they had other plans, Smith said. Meet the Team. Twins' twice-traded prospect Simeon Woods Richardson ready to stick in 1. Senior Wes Rubin sealed it with a dunk and Simeon beat Kenwood 72-64 at Credit Union 1 Arena to win the city title . All the best players wanted to come to Simeon because of Coach Rob, Parker said. There wasnt extra stress, Rubin said. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Simeon Career Academy - Wikipedia He coached at a YMCA before taking over the frosh-soph teams at Simeon, presiding over a string of winning squads and continuing to win when he became varsity coach in 1980. Players (14) Staff (9) Do you have a team photo? The new mayor has the power to physically remake the city or large portions of it. We wont let the fans down. For better or worse. -. For better or worse. 2 Benet squeaked past Geneva 35-34, and Kenwood beat Brother Rice 72-67. Those guys have been great, so humble. Loyola recruit Miles Rubin led the top-ranked Wolverines (30-3) with 19 points, and Sam Lewis added 16. Smith evolved so much over the years. Thank you : Master at his Craft: Longtime Collinsville Middle School girls basketball coach retires. Smith added that he has his own kids playing sports and after spending his "whole life with other people's kids," he wants to spend more time with his kids. New Trier held on to beat Glenbrook North 47-46. Here's an overview of the eight contenders. Simeon High School 8147 S. Vincennes (Google map, other maps) Chicago, IL 60620 Phone: 773-535-3200 Fax: 773-535-3465 School . There were a handful of teams with massive preseason expectations when the season began. Simeon coach Robert Smith and Derrick Rose embrace after Roses final high school game, the 2007 state championship. Mr. Hambric, 69, died of cancer on Friday, said Marque Riley, Simeon athletic director. 1 team. Boys Basketball *Maurice Brown. 2: Jalen Griffith . Simeon and other top Chicago basketball powers don't produce all of that talent alone. Name: Simeon High School City: Chicago City Population: 3 Million County: Cook Enrollment: 1638 Nickname: Wolverines Colors: Blue/Gold Conference: Chicago Public League CEO: Arne Duncan Director of Sports Administration Chicago Public S: Calvin Davis Principal: Tamara Sterling Boys Athletic Director: Melvin L. Dillard, Jr. Head Coach: Robert Smith Assistant Coaches: James Farr, Leonard Thomas . Hes coached, mentored and developed dozens and dozens of Division I players, including two of the biggest in state history: Derrick Rose and Jabari Parker. Rankings from AP poll. "To go out on top?" Sectional final roundup: Simeon, St. Ignatius win in 3A; Oswego East takes down Joliet West in 4A, 2023 Chicago Sun-Times All-Area basketball team. Rob carried himself with the highest level of professionalism and had the highest level of respect from so many different people, said Slaughter. Simeon (Chicago) head coach Robert Smith plans to retire following the 2022-23 season after one of the most successful high school basketball runs in state history, . The most unfamiliar coaching name on this short list is very much deserving of a whole lot of recognition. Smith is closing in on 500 wins and has won six state titles and seven city titles, both records. Print. But there are so many coaches who have already helped their teams exceed preseason predictions or reach the high expectations placed on them.