Thanks Donald. Smith & Wesson Hunting Gun Cases for sale | eBay Also the grips arent real mother of pearl, but imitation. Im half of a mind to make one myself one day not for production, but just to say I did it. Theyre not as strong. Answer (1 of 7): Colt SSA v Schofield Short answer: IMHO The Colt SAA fits the hand better than the Scholfield, deals with recoil better, and points more intuitively. Plus, that load I cited above, 170gr pushed by 4.2gr of Unique shoots well in anything, isnt a wrist breaker, and still is good enough to kill pigs good at 25 yards. 2: 459: Ruger Revolvers, H&K VP9LE, Ruger American 45acp. For most of my groups, there was relatively little horizontal spread where the rounds would lay. We use a lot of titanium screws where I work. After Winchester got through proving the design and making about 30 prototypes, when the corporate decision was made to go for it, they spent a year tooling up to make the initial Model 12, and another year tooling up for the other gauges. You can legally mail order them. (Getting consistent coloring is the tough part. Gun Review: Taylors & Company 1875 Smith & Wesson Model 3 Schofield FBI: FixNICS, Red Flag Laws Will Have Almost No Effect on Number of Mass Shootings, Supreme Court Sales Tax Ruling Could Mean Trouble for Gun Owners, Gun Review: Smith & Wesson Model 317 Kit Gun .22LR Revolver, Armed Self-Defense Chronicles: When a Detroit Doctor Defended Himself and His Family Against a Racist Mob, Gun Review: Taurus GX4XL T.O.R.O. There may have been a few times when Schofield faced Schofield, as outlaws Jesse and Frank James and Cole Younger also elected to carry these Smith & Wessons. Beyond that, its a beautiful, functional, surprisingly accurate revolver. Until i saw the price. I might point out that the photo of Annie Oakleys revolver does not show a #3 Schofield, but rather a #3 New Frontier model it has a different top latch and grip shape than the Schofield. It had the shorter case of the Schofield and the reduced rim of the Colt round; as it was short enough to fit the Schofield, and its rim was not needed for the rod-ejector Single Action Army, the M1887 would fire and eject from both revolvers.[3]. In case. Includes Smith & Wesson Performance Center factory wooden display case. Get the 76th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. Veteran, army medic, proud Texas son. 3 design and it became so popular that the U.S. Army ordered 8000 of the Schofield No. An article by Charles Pate in Man at Arms magazine discusses this variation. The Smith & Wesson Schofield was and still is a well-liked revolver; in fact, many shooters and collectors consider it to be the best of all the top-break revolvers made by S&W. Among other notable figures, both Jesse and Frank James used S&W Schofield revolvers. Smith and Wesson Schofields Ruled The West : r/AntiqueGuns Sights: Blade Front, Rear sight on back of barrel Smith & Wesson Model No. Because of the original design by Smith and Wesson, the Schofield is somewhat heavier on the end than say a sing-action-army style revolver. Im a bit surprised for historical accuracy that you didnt feed it a few cylinders of black powder loads. 3 Schofield was greatly improved over the Model No. We apologize for the interruption. The MSRP for pearl grips is actually $1,859! (60) 96% agree - Would recommend. Its clockwork action, accuracy, and speed became icons of the era. But Dan and RF gave me some good pointers, and Ive read a lot of online tutorials that have helped. A medium size was reportedly marked by the Chicago office, with a large size numeral being the scarcest. Smith & Wesson Grips Made By NC Ordnance The latch on the Schofield can be operated with one hand while on horseback and empty cases automatically ejected. Did I mention the .22Mag High-Standard top-break derringer I just recently found in my safe? New York received 2,000 in 1877; Michigan 536 in 1878 and 1879; Indiana 300 in 1878 and 1879; Territory of Washington 180 in 1882 and 1891; California at least 100 and possibly 300 in 1880; Kansas 100 in 1879; West Virginia 79 in 1878; with lesser quantities going to Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, and Tennessee. The original caliber used by the cavalry was the now practically extinct .45S&W, a black powder cartridge closely duplicating a light-loaded .45ACP. They contrast and set off the mirrored nickel well, and add even more class to a gun with a lot of attention to detail. The first slightly cocked position is how it was designed to be carried. A Schofield revolver believed to have been used at the Battle of the Little Big Horn is owned by the Smithsonian Institution, although it has never been clear which side its owner was fighting on. Serial no. Uberti make their replicas of the Smith & Wesson No. Now if I could just figure out how to keep my hands out of the shots on shiny guns. Since 1852 Smith & Wesson has empowered Americans with the freedom, equality, and security promised by the Declaration of Independence and guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Jon Branch is the founder and senior editor of Revivaler and has written a significant number of articles for various publications including official Buying Guides for eBay, classic car articles for Hagerty, magazine articles for both the Australian Shooters Journal and the Australian Shooter, and he's a long time contributor to Silodrome. Long before the Gucci GLOCK, shooters from all walks of life were fancying up their guns, I can find quite a few photos of old revolvers with mother of pearl grips, including ones used in the saddle by working lawmen. Too many people think in terms of only what the CNC machine can do, and what tooling they can buy. The Smith & Wesson No. Real mother of pearl grips would add at least $100 to the price of the gun. But they rarely agree with each other. Is it behind me or as a backdrop? The Smith & Wesson Model 3 was a single-action, cartridge-firing, top-break revolver produced by Smith & Wesson from circa 1870 to 1915, and was recently again offered as a reproduction by. I shouldnt have been particularly surprised, as this is the second Uberti pistol Ive reviewed, and Ive bought two others. READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS CAREFULLY. Incredible work from an absolute master of his craft. Apparently the Smith & Wessons two-piece frame had a tendency to come apart when used as a bludgeon, whereas the Colt remained togethera big win for the Colt. . Most of mine are the smaller .38S&W and .32S&W calibers, but a few years back I found an S&W New Model #3 Target in .44 Russian. That are fun to shoot mine was. Russian General Alexander Gorloff who was the military attach at the Russian embassy in Washington approached Smith & Wesson early in the revolvers production expressing his governments interest in purchasing quantities of the revolver but expressing reservations about the cartridge it was chambered for. It was Major Schofields modifications that attracted the interest of the US military. And many of those generals in charge at the time were likely grunts during the civil war, and had a fare share of hand to hand experience from battles like the Bloody Angle. The list of past owners of Smith & Wesson No. African American History Curatorial Collective, Political and Military History: Armed Forces History, Military. 3 model of 1875 incorporated Major Schofield's modifications, most notably the frame mounted stirrup type barrel latch that allowed the revolver to be opened by the thumb. If somebody decides to go for it and can overcome the complicated machining, I expect that it would cost about $1,500 or more. Best. It was a Smith & Wesson Model 3 that was modified, due to a suggestion by Major George Schofield, to make it easier for a cavalryman to reload while riding. It is a truly ambidextrous design. It was hard to give this one back, and I have little doubt Ill end up picking one up at some point. Beyond the even and smoothly polished nickel, take a look at the screws. Although not entirely authentic, the .38SPL is a phenomenal shooter in this gun. S&W demurred, noting that the rim of the .45 Colt was inadequate for positive extraction in the S&W design, and no doubt considering that the cylinder and frame of the Model 3 would have to be lengthened to accommodate the long round. One of the said improvements was a redesigned locking system that made the gun easier to load while on horseback. Back up and zoom out. Much of that time was spent making fixtures, jigs and tools to make the Model 12. FITS: Smith & Wesson Schofield 1875 7" Uberti Taylors Western Leather Im just not a visual person. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Once new cartridges are inserted, a quick flick of the wrist sends the muzzle up and the cylinder back down, locking it back in place. The S&W Model No. However, many had been retired earlier. Because of the original design by Smith and Wesson, the Schofield is somewhat heavier on the end than say a sing-action-army style revolver. It is similar to the .45 Colt round though shorter and with a slightly larger rim, and will generally work in revolvers chambered for that cartridge; the converse is not true, since the .45 Colt case is longer. MSRP: $1,522.00. Fine as hell, yall. They preferred the Colt partially because it was deemed to be more durable than the Model 3, especially during a pistol whipping. The Smith & Wesson Schofield Model 3 is a high-quality modern reproduction of the original Schofield's first introduced circa 1870. Thanks for doing reviews of pretty guns. The firm's manufacturing facilities moved to New Haven, with Smith serving as plant manager for the new company, and Wesson working as plant superintendent. As to replica Old West revolvers, Im really waiting for somebody to produce a decent replica of the Merwin & Hulbert Army model (3rd variation or later, preferably in stainless or nickle-plate). (51) 93% agree - Would recommend. Schofield Revolver | Gun Wiki | Fandom By all accounts, George Schofield was a frenetic inventor, and likely suffered from significant manic depression. That caliber is not on the forbidden caliber list and thus considered an antique even though ammunition is readily available on the internet. The Schofield revolver originated with the efforts of Col. George Schofield to improve the American Model Three for military usage. Gotta pay attention to voltage and amperage numbers.). The greater ease and speed of reloading was noted, but was not given much credence as a tactical advantage. W.F. Nickel plating can be pretty and durable, or pretty and easily chipped. I always liked the top break action. Discussion: When most people . This is how we come to have the idea of the .45 Long Colt There actually isnt such a thing, the term was coined simply to differentiate between the .45 Colt and the shorter .45 Schofield. Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police Victory Model Grips. It is similar to the .45 Colt round though shorter and with a slightly larger rim, and will generally work in revolvers chambered for that cartridge. The Model 3 was used throughout the American West, as well as in several American wars, all the way up into the 20th century. . . I have a collection of American Master Bladesmith bowies, and his is certainly the most beautiful. Taylors & Company sells several versions of the S&W Model 3, including a few Schofields. NO RESERVE!! The Schofield was quite a popular handgun in the old west, and may have been used by General Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Fine Early Production 2nd Model Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolver He had it on consignment. Smith & Wesson Model 3 Revolver - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News Schofields design was a big improvement over the previous Model 3s. As fancy as this gun looks, many originals were just the same. Schofield sold more than one hundred Smith & Wesson #3 American revolvers between the fall of 1870 and spring of 1871. 6: 2,020: Model 629-6 6" 44 magnum, Model 647 no dash 17 HMR(reduced) posted by outdoorsdad 02-22-2023. The numerals in the stamping, on the other hand, were individually stamped, and their spacing may be uneven. IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. The "Schofields" were six-shot, single-action revolvers with 7" ribbed barrels, a square butt profile and . Meet the 5 Best Smith & Wesson Handguns Ever Made Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolver Attributed to Jesse James. These revolvers made their way to Russia, the Philippines, Japan, Spain, the Ottoman Empire and even way down south to Australia. I had several people fire this revolver, including a new shooter at The Range at Austin, a 9-year-old girl who had never shot a gun in her life. The United States Army contracted a total of over 5 000 Schofields with 7-1/2 barrel lengths. The only actual order I can find with anything from the Army Ordinance Board is for 3,000, which is in the wrong caliber, and the contract was cancelled just 2 years later. Smith & Wesson Model 3 - Wikipedia . Such is its popularity that some gun enthusiasts who are not familiar with the older S&Ws will tend to call any large frame S&W top-break a Schofield. It has received some exposure in movie and TV westerns, most notably and recently in Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, but also in earlier efforts such as Nevada Smith, Trackdown, and Alias Smith & Jones.. He has studied the Japanese sword arts and has a long history of involvement in the shooting sports, which has included authoring submissions to government on various firearms related issues and assisting in the design and establishment of shooting ranges. Reproduction gun and profit!. Getting back to guns: In those days, battles often got up close and very real when the ammo ran out. A lady on the Netflix show Godless had one of these that was used in the final gun-slinging match and I drooled over it then. Beyond that, it appears to be completely accurate, down to every marking and detail. Plus, its just fun to shoot. By the end of 1877, the Army had purchased around 8,000 S&W Schofields, and around 15,000 Colt SAAs. Jon has done radio, television, magazine and newspaper interviews on various issues, and has traveled extensively, having lived in Britain, Australia, China and Hong Kong. SCHOFIELD Revolver One of only 650 Second Model CIVILIAN Scofields, Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolver .45 Schofield, Used URBEA Hermany (Spanish Copy) .45 5" Barrel. The first S&W revolvers to be chambered in 38-40 Winchester (similar to the modern-day .40S&W) came out in 1876, but Smith & Wesson didnt start chambering pistols in .38SPL until 1898. The company made its humble start in 1963in Gussago, Italywhen Giuseppe Pietta made a commitment to produce guns as authentic and true-to-original as possible. The caliber was .45 Schofield. 2 Count Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 Extra Long 1.25 XL Magazine Mounted Garrison Grip Extension. I lubed the gun prior to shooting with EEZOX and performed no other maintenance for the first 100 rounds. If you need to request an image for publication or other use, please visit Rights and Reproductions. Smith & Wessons No. The extractor extracted the cases and then snapped back into place ready for new cartridges to be reloaded. It is believed that these guns were shipped to San Francisco at the time of the Sandlot Riots, and eventually wound up with the California militia. I was still. Overall Length: 3.5=9.25, 5=10.75, 7=12.75 Today 02:49 AM by Toyman. I have an original S&W Double Action Frontier. It was during its early trials and use by the US Army that then Major George Schofield took an interest in the sidearm. The only thing I did to pimp my revolver was to change out the wooden grips for after-market hard rubber ones. Not long after, much of the public did the same thing, having their barrels modified from the cavalrys original seven inches down to five. They're top-break single-action revolvers that were originally . One of the big (huge, actually) issues in trying to replicate some of these guns is this: How the *(&&*(^ do I hold onto the workpiece? This is a problem which cannot be solved merely with CNC machines and CAD s/w. You will find these Uberti replicas of the Smith & Wesson No. Smith & Wesson Schofield Revolver Repro Ram Horn Grips Gun #: 996133607 Seller: GA_1143125 GA Sales: 1913 $65.00 Full Details 1 Image (s) UBERTI 40 CALIBER BLACK POWDER NIB Gun #: 980563244 Seller: badaz $525.00 Full Details 17 Image (s) 157BB UBERTI 1866 44-40 CARBINE. Smith & Wesson Performance Shop M3 Schofield - 45 S&W Gun #: 995666344 Seller: Bucksport Sporting Goods $1,600.00 Full Details 2 Image (s) Taylors & Co/Uberti 1877 Second Model Schofield .45LC (550639) Gun #: 929329644 Seller: Jay's Guns & Accessories IV GA Sales: 2115 $1,299.99 Full Details More from this Seller 3 Image (s) I shot it an hour later. This old baby has a little bit of endshake (the cylinder can slide back and forth slightly when the gun is closed.) Accurate with a fast reload and good looks. No Serial Number WE DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY $30 Shippin, RARE CIVILIAN Antique SMITH & WESSON 2nd Model .45 Cal. Sure enough it hung up . Jesse James carried serial number 366, and serial number 273 is reported to have been used by a James Gang member, possibly Jesse. If you can get it drawn, pointed and fired by the time the coin hits the ground, you are quick by their standards. .45 Schofield | Military Wiki | Fandom The Smith and Wesson Model No. Taylors & Company has imported a limited run of nickel-plated Smith & Wesson Model 3 Schofield break-top revolvers. Smith and Wesson Revolver Parts - Parts for Antique Guns Actually there were speed loaders back then. Feb 9, 2019 If want to shoot one would get the Uberti, and are around 900-1000. Further minor modifications were made, and an additional 5,000 in the Second Model configuration were delivered in 1877. 3 at Ubertis website if you click here. A fellow up here in Wyoming was looking into duplicating the M&H revolvers. Smith and Wesson Schofield Revolver | Smithsonian's History Explorer Smith & Wesson Model 3 | Military Wiki | Fandom Cimarron Number 3 Schofield Revolver 6-Round - MidwayUSA The Schofield is one of the iconic guns of the west, with a rich history. Richard Nahas has conducted extensive research on Smith & Wesson and is a member of the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association and, at the 1994 National Rifle Association's national convention, won an award for his "Smith & Wesson: The Martial Arms" display.