It is another interesting short tail cast on for your toolbox. The yarn attached to the ball (Ill call this your working yarn) should go over your forefinger, while your tail should go over your thumb. Do you know of any more that I havent covered here? It is very elastic and stretchy at the same time. But its true that it looks much better on ribbing. Go back up to your needle size you used to reach gauge and continue working your ribbing as normal. How to Work Jeny's Stretchy Cast On in Knitting | Hands Occupied Hands Occupied 6.41K subscribers Subscribe 972 164K views 5 years ago Cast on & Bind Off Tutorials If you're looking to give. The left needle should go in from front-to-back. The 5 Knitting Styles (And How to Knit Them), Condo Knitting: Knitting with Two Different Size Needles, How Many Stitches to Cast On for a Blanket, 13 Circular Knitting Patterns for Practice. To read the applicable privacy policy, please. It looks very nice. Get out the way you came and tighten up. Its silent so you can watch it anywhere. Stretchy Short-Tail Cast-Ons - KnitFreedom.com These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. All you are doing is changing the way you wrap the yarn over your thumb for every second stitch you are casting on. All patterns have been thoroughly test-knit and feature step-by-step written instructions and tons of big pictures. All Right Reserved. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. I may do another post about tubular cast ons if you like. So, for the sake of your sanity, cast on, knit one row flat, and then join in the round. So, it may take more practice to get stitches to look neat. Picot Cast-on We love this cast on method for its ease of completion, since if you know how to knit a stitch, you can easily complete this cast on method. Grab some scrap yarn and appropriate needles. Yes, its not bad at all! Bring the yarn to the front, between the needles. Vielen Dank im Vorraus! Start the Italian cast-on with a simple twisted loop. medianet_versionId = "121199"; Learn how your comment data is processed. pattern suggests you use the Twisted German Cast-On as a way to start your ribbing. Close up of Tillibuddys Very Stretchy Cast On. How to Knit Fisherman's Rib - Knitting March 20, 3:15pm CST. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Thanks for all your efforts. Love getting emails from you - always uplifting in addition to informative. Using the tip of the needle, youll loop the yarn from the tail over the needle tip and pull it out from under the working yarn. For a purl cast on, keep the working yarn in the front. However! German Twist Cast On) Sheep & Stitch 460K subscribers Subscribe 279K views 4 years ago Knitting Techniques VIEW THE FULL BLOG POST:. Today, were going to cover the other problem people are often referring to when they say they have a tight cast on. That may take a bit of practice. Read NextHow Many Stitches to Cast On for a Hat, There comes a time in your knitting journey when you begin to find that read more. dhtml_v2.linkSource.sourcecode = "ORGANIC-REFERRER_UNKNOWN"; You can read what you are allowed to do in the Copyright text at the bottom of all our patterns. Use the yarn tail from the cast on to weave the gap together for a seamless finish. Hook the needle over the index finger strand, grabbing the yarn. 8. Since you are holding the tail doubled it is a strong, long-lasting cast on. Would you like to use our patterns for other than personal use? Als je begint met een schuiflus, en je zorgt dat je deze aan het draadje wat blijft hangen weer uit kan trekken, is dat probleem opgelost. Find the one that clicks with how you craft. It's basically the same stitch, but you alternate 2 knit stitches with 2 purl stitches. Step 2: Insert your left needle through the front loop of the first stitch on your right needle. But! ). Can this rib cast on work for that? With your fingers, un-twist the stitch towards you so that the right side of the loop is the one coming from the working yarn. Begin with a slipknot, leaving a short tail. There are a couple of extra steps to this method to help give it more stretch than its simpler counterpart. It is not blazingly fast, but it's faster than most of the other stretchy bind-offs out there. How to do the German twisted cast on - Nimble Needles Simpler to work than a tubular cast on, the 1x1 Rib Cabled Cast On is a great choice for any ribbed edge - the alternating knit and purl stitches of this cast on blend smoothly into your ribbing, giving a more polished . Avoid Common Mistakes; Tackle New Projects; Knit With . "logo": { Bring the yarn up and over the left-hand needle, then around the back of the right-hand needle in a figure-8 motion. Category: Techniques / Subcategory: Cast On. One of the biggest problems with knitted ribbing is the relative lack of stretch in the cast-on or bound-off edges. Find out more about me here. The cast-on uses loops and twists to create pairs of stitches on the needle. !function(n){if(!window.cnx){window.cnx={},window.cnx.cmd=[];var t=n.createElement('iframe');t.display='none',t.onload=function(){var n=t.contentWindow.document,c=n.createElement('script');c.src='//cd.connatix.com/connatix.player.js',c.setAttribute('async','1'),c.setAttribute('type','text/javascript'),n.body.appendChild(c)},n.head.appendChild(t)}}(document); Making an L-shape with your left thumb and forefinger, wrap the two ends of the yarn around them. I will use this now on everything .. thank you so much .. Janet Australia . Wie immer ein sehr schnes Video, allerdings ist mir etwas aufgefallen: Mit der Anschlagsmasche kommt man, wenn man diese Technik immer so zuende fhrt, schlussendlich immer nur zu einer ungeraden Maschenanzahl (die 1. The cast-on creates pairs of stitches so, combined with the initial slipknot, it results in an odd number of stitches. They are available on Etsy. for the last couple hours (its 2am here but I cant stop casting on!) I recommend this cast-on for Garter stitch as well. This tutorial will show you how to work a tubular cast on for 11 ribbing. Note: This project is from I Like Knitting digital magazine. To work the tubular cast on you're going to need some sm ooth waste yarn, your actual This is a great cast on if you plan to work a 11 rib after your cast on. 2. Skip to the 19:50 mark for joining in the round: https://youtu.be/b8A0bhqt7J8. Ik zie geen verschil in de opzetwijze van de rechte en averechte steken? This video shows you how to do it the right way, so that your Chinese Waitress Cast-On is as stretchy as it should be. They are so well done, moving neither too fast nor too slow, and the viewing angle is just right! Weet iemand het antwoord? The yarn should have a similar gauge to your project yarn and a smooth texture to avoid stray fuzzies when you remove it. Twist the yarn tail and working yarn once to lock the purl stitch in place so that it wont unravel before you work the next steps. First, you make a loop and then knit into it as many stitches as you need to cast on. If your working yarn is coming out from the first stitch, then that stitch was cast on knitwise. enable_page_level_ads: true // turn off pencil on bottom "name": "Prime Publishing, LLC. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. However, with its ease comes an exchange: it's only slightly stretchy, and so it works best for more loose-fitting garments that don't require a whole lot of stretch to slip on and off. I am using the Schachenmayr Catania Grande in this tutorial Tools Any type of needle. Very Stretchy Cast-on SHORT VERSION - YouTube Just remember: if the last cast on stitch was a knit cast on, then knit that stitch. Get Free Access to the 10-Video Course that Will Change the Way You Knit. Cross the right-hand needle behind the left-hand needle, to the right of the slipknot. It seems slightly more flexible to me than the standard Long Tail Cast On and it gives you a clean and simple edge to any ribbing. They are super confusing on their own. Copyright 2023 A Bee In The Bonnet | Bamboo on Trellis Framework by Mediavine, This site uses cookies to improve its performance and to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Anyway, lets dive right into it. I got the toe up sock and your videos make everything so clear, it's easy to scroll to the place I want and I can work at my computer without having to make the rest of the household watch my DVDs. Tubular cast-on tutorial: 11 rib Step 1: Cast on with waste yarn Select a waste yarn in a contrasting color to your project yarn (so it will be easy to see). In fact, its not a tubular cast on at all! My question is: is this the same as the Italian tubular cast on? Bring the needle around the yarn connected to your thumb coming from above & behind. Now finally a cast on that does not remind me of the Long Tail Cast On! Stretchy Cast-On Tips for Your Next Knitting Project Remember, the relationship between your stitches is governed in part by the length of yarn between your stitches. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Acquire tons of intermediate skills while keeping a canine pal of any size snuggly warm. In fact, I sometimes refer to it as my "ribbing cast on"! Youll find patterns where you can use this technique by clicking on the pictures below. Prachtige opzet en erg rekbaar. "@type": "Article", One thing to consider: we prefer this cast on for projects that have a medium to small number of cast on stitches. Wrap your yarn counterclockwise around the tip of your right needle and draw the yarn back through the slip knot as if you are knitting a stitch. It's worth it, too; the old Norwegian cast on offers more stretch than the long-tail cast on method, due to a greater amount of twisting while working it up, while still offering a very clean edge. by Andrea Mowry, Use Chinese Waitress Cast-On to Cast On in the Middle of a Project, What Most People Get Wrong About the Chinese Waitress Cast On, Chinese Waitress Cast On Continental Style, Difference Between Chinese Waitress Cast-On Edge Right and Wrong Way, Chinese Waitress the Perfect Cast-On for Garter Stitch. Your email address will not be published. You can also find me on Ravelry.If you just want to support my work, you can find my Patreon account here. Did you enjoy this post? 6. Your email address will not be published. VIEW THE FULL BLOG POST: https://sheepandstitch.com/library/how-to-do-the-german-twisted-cast-on/A stretchy cast on is a useful knitting skill.