We had no grand plan.. Lewis Lazare. with Maureen Smithe Brusznicki and Caitie Smithe Jisa at Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design. So is there a `Wally and the Sofa Factory' in our future?". [2] Today, the company has ten showrooms in Illinois and Indiana and is listed by Furniture Today as one of the top one hundred furniture retailers in the United States. What she does: I make spaces beautiful for clients homes, our catalogs and showrooms, and play couples therapist for clients who cant agree on a sofa.. "They go a long way with a limited budget through the use of creativity," he says. The brothers are recognized on the street, in grocery stores and coffee shops ("I got a free Starbucks latte once," Tim says). Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design - Maureen Smithe and Caitie Smithe Favorite design style: Clean and neutral. "Smithes have fun at the old ballpark". Sisters Take Smithe Spotlight, More High-End Barware, and a Sofa Sale, 2020 Chicago magazine / A Chicago Tribune Media Group website, map of participating First Friday locations, Design Controls - Facebook Instant Article. It's not included in a shorter version now airing on TV. Dont burden yourself with the boredom of a matching wood set. They can really do great things. Favorite design style: Modern mixed with traditional. The are the Smithe sisters, Meghan, Colleen, Maureen and Caitie. The transition took place over the span of 12 years as key positions became available in the company, starting with Maureen who became a merchandise buyer. There are so many cool and unique materials being used to manufacture furniture these dayssuch as capiz shells, bone inlay, faux shagreen, concrete, rope and slate. The campaign was inspired in part by a partnership with designer/house-flipper Jeff Lewis of the Bravo show Flipping Out. A wake will be held at Ryan-Parke Funeral Home in Park Ridge on Friday, Oct. 21, and a funeral mass will follow on Saturday, Oct. 22, and St. Paul of the Cross Church in Park Ridge. The Smithe sisters are working to expose the brand to a new customer base Photo credit: Robin Subar. The commercial included the tagline "Change the Name, Change the Luck", a reference to the Cubs' decades-long struggle to reach the World Series. portalId: "6766057", Some have criticized the spots for underemphasizing Walter E. Smithe's actual furniture products. Anyone got a link to the current commercial? His line was, `If you can talk you can breathe.'". Indian Trail, High Street intersection work approved in Aurora, Suspect in high-speed chase crashes into, kills veteran Indiana State Trooper trying to stop him: officials, Educators get peek at Paramount play about artificial intelligence which is set to tour schools, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. Whether bringing in color as an accent or making a big statement with a lot of color, your home will feel instantly transformed and personalized. The boys' first ventures into the working world included Walt's daily paper route -- 70 Tribunes, three or four Sun-Times and a couple of Wall Street Journals -- that Tim helped him with ("I got 1 cent per paper, and I'd give Tim 10 cents for helping me"), and collecting beer cans that they resold at a Park Ridge flea market. Check out the new collection. The Smithe sisters - Walter III's daughters Maureen, Meghan, Caitie, and Colleen - are also now executives at Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design and appear in the ads. Walter Smithe, president of the furniture company, climbs the stairs March 21, 2017, at the Walter E. Smithe furniture store in Oak Brook, alongside his four daughters, Colleen, from left, Caitie, Maureen and Meghan. High School," Walter says. Courtesy of Walter E. Smithe Furniture and Design. 9615 Skokie Blvd, Skokie, IL 60077. Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design - Chicago's Furniture Store and Colleen Smithe, Director of Advertising "They're having a lot of fun. Walter E Smithe Daughters - Josephine Goodwin Blogs Edited to add: Looked them up and gee, it's one of the daughters managing the marketing. Walter E. Smithe is a furniture company based in Itasca, Illinois. Walter E. Smithe Jr., Founder of Popular Chicago-Area Furniture Company Margie, who used to be a buyer for Smithe, moved to St. Louis with her husband, who worked for Anheuser-Busch's ad agency. For the most part, that relationship translates well in the business world, they say. I dont think anyone in the furniture industry does advertising well. and became working moms in different industries. It takes work and sacrifice.. But now a new generationsisters Meghan, Colleen, Maureen, and Caitie Smitheis shaking things up in a big way. In one of their most memorable ads, the four women get into a food fight -- spaghetti and red wine included -- and seemingly destroy a bright white couch, which is then scrubbed clean. A new book offers a primer on how to spot, seize, and exploit and create lucky breaks More, Two new must-visit hotels from Austin to Houston More, Shop Patek Philippe timepieces, Oiya bracelets and a Miami-based skincare brand More, Plan a day of relaxation at Pressed Roots and The Spa at The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas More, Raise a glass to our favorite new French-inspired bistros, charming piano bars and bold Italian eateries in Manhattan More, From shoes to handbags, here are the new boutiques to visit in New York City More, The best-selling author, entrepreneur and global philanthropist continues a push with Feeding America to provide 1 billion meals More, Were Over The Moon About This New Travel Registry, 2022 Holiday Gift Guide: The Best Edible Presents, Room Request! "In a family business, everyone has to wear all hats at all times," Maureen said. I love incorporating an unexpected element into a room. Brothers Walt, Tim and Mark Smithe -- the faces of Walter E. Smithe Furniture -- seem to have hit on something with their ubiquitous ads. The answer -- and the sisters' secret to success -- can be summed up in three key words: Fresh. All three attended St. Mary's College in Winona, Minn. Walt got an MBA at Notre Dame, Tim got one at Northwestern, and Mark got a law degree at Loyola. "They took different career paths," Tim says. The Itasca-based company has 10 locations across Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana, where the sisters ply their fourth-generation talents. College was a turning point for the sisters, who now call one another their best friends. Sisters Take Smithe Spotlight, More High-End Barware, and a Sofa Sale The Smithe family announced that their patriarch died this past Sunday with his wife of 64 years, Florence Flynn Smithe, by his side. Bringing new and various textures into a room can take it from plain and lacking in interest to exciting and memorable. Walter E. Smithe is a family business in every sense of the word, the sisters say. William Hageman and Tribune staff reporter. They're not egomaniacs. Then the commercial came on. And Amy is a singer and songwriter. A new collection at Holly Hunt, discounts at EuroFurniture, a First Friday event at Hubbard Woods Design District, and more. Feb 20, 2022 - The 4th generation of Walter E. Smithe family stops by to visit Bob and Marianne. Then when I plugged it in, the place went up for grabs. PHOTOGRAPHY BY ROBIN SUBAR, When Maureen Smithe returned from maternity leave after giving birth to identical twin daughters last August (children number five and six for those keeping count), she was puzzled by the pained looks she received from some of her colleagues. My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday, we truly hate the Walter E Smithe commercials with the daughters. They have a younger brother, who lives out of state, and plenty of younger cousins who have yet to join the team, though the sisters say there's still time. The first change I noticed was it became all about the sons. McCarthy was married to grandson of Walter E. Smithe, Timothy Smithe Jr. in Paris, France in June of 2013. . Only a year apart in age, the lively, fast-talking Smithe sisters consider one another best friends. While their father and grandfather are still actively involved in the day-to-day, the women have taken over the companys marketing, design, advertising and buying effortsand immediately went about altering brand perceptions. Relevant. Walter E. SMITHE corporate office is located in 1775 W Rand Rd, Arlington Heights, Illinois, 60004, United States and has 382 employees. In some of the footage, youll see my dad installing a dimmer or my uncle driving a truck. "Case in point, I was just this morning sketching out my first ideas for The Three Tenors, featuring, of course, the Smithe brothers in a coliseum. Here, get to know this powerhouse quartet. Our lives can be overrun with technology, commitments and schedules. Meghan was hired in 2013 and now serves as director of sales strategy. Getting the Smithes in front of the camera wasn't easy. "And a woman was there with her daughter, and she nudged her and I heard her say, 'That's the Walter E. Smithe guy.' The company offer of a free DVD generated a huge response, and more than 60,000 were given away.). A matte black bathtub, vanity mirrors and hardware pop against the airy walls in this modern primary bathroom. In recent years, Smithe enjoyed his time with extended family. The four women have been taking on bigger roles at the company and star in its new ad. Meghan and Colleen spent several years working at advertising agencies in Chicago. My hope is to inspire people to slow down enough to talk with a designer and hopefully buy something.. "It's made us focus on what we do best, which is designing our clients' homes," he said. A 2005 advertisement showed Mark and Tim Smithe dueling with CGI-enhanced lamps in an homage to the lightsaber duels of the Star Wars films. The fourth generation of Smithe leadership is hoping that this young, fresh approach to advertising and marketing will resonate with a consumer base that hasnt yet shopped with Smithe before. How could they ensure the 75-year-old brand would be sustainable for decades to come? Walter E. Smithe Jr., founder of Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design You may have noticed a change lately in those Walter E. Smithe . (Last year, Walter E. Smithe resurrected the 1950s-era cartoon that was a holiday staple on WGN-Ch. In 2002 they brought in director Bill O'Neil to help them. [4], In March, 2017, daughters of Walter E. Smithe III became the fourth generation of the Smithe family to be featured in the commercials.[8]. Chicago magazine newsletters have you covered. Smithe Family Takeover - Country Magazine Caitie Smithe is aDesigner, Design Coordinator + Stylist atWalter E. Smithe Furniture + Design. But always start from a place where we love each other and enjoy working together., Between the ages of 10 and 18, former Barrington High School soccer, For Olympian Patrick Gasienica, ski jumping has been a part of his, Dr. Rekha S. Rajan has devoted her personal and professional life to, One of the most prestigious dance companies in the world, The Joffrey, Saint Anne Catholic Community Churchs Project Hope ministry, A night of sequin-studded disco fever, the 5th Annual Hoosier Ball was. Sometimes its the only quiet I get.. It was founded by Walter Edward Smithe and Bill Shanahan in 1945. "That was the best part," she said. Walter Smithe, president of the furniture company, climbs the stairs March 21, 2017, at the Walter E. Smithe furniture store in Oak Brook, alongside his four daughters, Colleen, from left, Caitie, Maureen and Meghan. In the late '60s, the growing family -- there are also four sisters, Cindy, Margie and . Walter E. Smithe told me they work with many designers but Jeff was really able to get a lot of value into the pieces in his collection and that its why . We refer to Smithe.com as our 12th store, since many of our clients are doing their research online before coming to see us in person.. "There was some physical violence between the brothers," Walt says with that satisfied look of a big brother who got to dish it out. Start shopping. Get 5 free searches. Today, they help oversee 10 showrooms, the warehouse and headquarters, working together (generally) perfectly. "You think a huge corporation is going to have pencil pushers and button touchers," says Lynn Hamilton, vice president of the Shirley Hamilton Agency, a Chicago talent agency. Currently, there are 3 generations involved in the business: Walter Smithe Jr is retired, but regularly visits the showrooms. Their camaraderie is genuine, and they can easily share ideas and bounce between conversations. "If we'd done that with a large agency, it would have been flying people in from New York and storyboards and approvals along the way," he says. The commercials are created in-house. Walter Smithe, president of the furniture company, climbs the stairs March 21, 2017, at the Walter E. Smithe furniture store in Oak Brook, alongside his four daughters, Colleen, from left, Caitie . Is she OK? Not as long as they keep the commercials clever and topical, O'Neil says. Further confused by the commercials now. Jamie Sotonoff. Four sisters carry the Walter E. Smithe brand into the future Smithe was born in 1936 to Margaret Slifka and Walter E. Smithe Sr., and grew up on the Northwest Side in Belmont Central. walter e smithe. And Mark, 40, is Smithe's general counsel; he and his partner live in Lincoln Park with Petey, a 4-year-old bulldog. Mark admonished Walt to keep his feet off the furniture. 70 reviews of Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design "This is a really good store for when you hit age 40 or so and realize your house still resembles a college dorm. "We're not your parents' furniture company," Caitie said. CHICAGO (CBS) -- Walter Edward Smithe Jr., the founder of Chicago's Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design, has died at the age of 86. The Smithes: (L-R) Colleen, Meghan, Walter III, Walter Jr., Mark, Caitie, and Maureen. Most recently, she was at . President - Walter E. Smithe Furniture + Design - LinkedIn I only hear them on the radio. Lewis Lazare. Eric Clark email address & phone number | Walter E. Smithe Furniture The two renamed the store Smithe and Shanahan, but Bill Shanahan eventually sold his share to Smithe's brother Charlie. Instead of starring third-generation brothers Walter III, Tim, and Mark, the new ones put the spotlight on fourth-generation sisters Caitie, Meghan, Maureen, and Colleen. Walter E. Smithe Jr., founder of Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design Walter E. Smithe Near You in Vernon Hills, Illinois - furniture We understand that customers see a certain look on, say, Instagram and they want it replicated in their own home, Colleen says. We see this country chic trend currently happening as a design emergency, says Maureen. Draftfcb. Thats fast, but it shows what we can do. For decades, the public faces of the privately owned company have been the sisters father, Walter E. Smithe IIIthe 59-year-old grandson of the businesss namesakeand the sisters uncles, Mark and Tim. They were each only a year apart, at one point covering all four grade levels at Barrington High School. Their advertising is creative, it's timely and it's interesting, so people remember it and they like it.". It turned out so well that Tim carried along a copy to a speaking engagement. Colleen, Caitie, Meghan and Maureen Smithe, all between the ages of 33 and 37, represent the fourth generation of the family business and are daughters of company President Walter Smithe, the grandson of the business's namesake. When I first came on board, our industry was very much a good old boys club, says Maureen, who regularly travels to marketplaces around the country to buy merchandise. The Smithe brothers have been described as "Chicago's most recognizable furniture purveyors", due to their ubiquitous television commercials starring themselves. Edit: I have been informed that they are the daughters, not the wives. The daughters took over the company. We strive to bring our clients the best in home furnishings for every style, budget, and stage of life. The commercials were being shot at a studio in Northfield and would result in enough footage for dozens of TV ads to appear over the next six months. The sisters laughed at hearing this family adage, knowing that home furnishing has been woven into the tapestry of their lives. Walter E. SMITHE: Employee Directory | ZoomInfo.com Find employees, official website, emails, phone numbers, revenue, employee headcount, social accounts, and anything related to Walter E. Smithe Furniture. "Staying fresh, young and relevant is how we're going to sustain the brand into the next 75 years," Meghan said. "[5] Of the commercials, Tim Smithe has said, "We wanted to entertain people first, so then when we wanted to inform them they'd already be paying attention". "And there's 10 televisions, all tuned to the same station. Today. Primary Address. The founder of well-known Chicago-area furniture company Walter E. Smithe has died, his family announced Wednesday. One spot was modeled after Apple's weird commercials. "It's a big responsibility. (847) 933-1481. Smithe says that doing everything in-house allows them to be quick on their feet. Walter Smithe, president of the furniture company named for his grandfather, is flanked by daughters, Maureen, left, and Caitie on March 21, 2017, as theywatch his other daughters Colleen, far left, and Meghan play pingpong at the Walter E. Smithe furniture store in Oak Brook. The first order of business: ditch the longstanding, highly recognizable ad campaign featuring their father and two uncles. "It was kind of a neat way to kick off our involvement in the business as a group.". I was probably in elementary school when I would come in to work in the warehouse sweeping for a nickel Colleen says. "He'd come up from behind and drop in it on us," Tim says. Or "Hardrock, Coco and Joe." They decided on an ad campaign that would, simply, pitch their product. Tim offered Walt brotherly support after a just-completed scene. (Antonio Perez / Chicago Tribune). Revenue: $100 to $500 million (USD) Competitors: Linly Designs, Rieke Office Interiors, 57st Design. officially retires, although he still enjoys visiting showrooms and meeting clients. Walter E. Smithe Furniture and Design Reviews - Glassdoor Chicago's Best Furniture and Expert Design. "It's always positive, and it's nice to be part of it. Walt (actually Walter Smithe III), 45, is president and general manager of the company; he and his wife have five kids and live in Barrington Hills. "The brothers have no acting talent," Tim says. When the boys took over from their father, there were about a half-dozen stores. Now, a lot more people know about us than knew a few years ago.". Only a year apart in age, the lively, fast-talking Smithe sisters consider one another best friends. His four daughtersMaureen Megan Clarke Caitie Jisa and Colleen Parkerare now the new faces of this historic Chicago brand a spot he and his brothers held for decades. Its unjust to think that women can somehow balance it all, Colleen adds. First published on October 12, 2022 / 3:27 PM. ", Instead they talk about the U2/iTunes takeoff, the brothers' version of "The Apprentice" or the Olympic parody from last year. We get that question all the time, and that was to be expected," Colleen said. Create Comparison. I gave up sleep and TV, Maureen jokes. Regarded as top performer within the account and the Agency, as a result of consistent over-delivery, passion to grow the business . Caitie Smithe, Designer and Stylist. Luxury Hotels, Travel, Dining, Lifestyle - Haute Living That's why when she and her three sisters -- Maureen, Meghan and Caitie -- were asked a few years ago to transition into the role their father and uncles held for so long, they weren't immediately receptive. Its a tough balance, but I like figuring out the retail puzzle.. WALTER E. SMITHE FURNITURE Revenue, Growth & Competitor Profile When Smithe makes a furniture delivery, Its not uncommon for our crews to bring a 25-year-old sofa with a Smithe sticker on it back to this warehouse, Meghan says. While it may not be usable 365 days a year, the days that your outdoor space are in fact usable should be embraced. Nah, I know a few of them. Walter E. Smithe III, is the President of family owned and operated Walter E. Smithe Furniture + Design. You could say that the Smithes are a bit obsessed with quality. Walter E. Smithe, Jr., founder of Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design, has died at the age of 86, his family said. We simply never had that conversation, Meghan says. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. There is nothing like a day spent soaking up the sun and a good book or an evening with friends and good food and drinks under the stars. As Caitie puts it, Theres no reason you cant use an entertainment console as a buffet in the dining room.. Walter E. Smithe Furniture - Employees, Contact info, Overview - Wiza Kyla McCarthy - EverybodyWiki Bios & Wiki You may have noticed a change lately in those Walter E. Smithe (smithe.com) siblings-on-a-couch commercials. Sibling revelry; Their offbeat commercials have made the Smithe brothers cult heroes. We've got the radar out for that," Tim Smithe says. We feel like we can now speak to the multitude of generations who shop with us, she says. Explore more of the publications in our portfolio here. Sibling revelry - Chicago Tribune E. Smithe sisters Caitie, Colleen, Meghan and Maureen were introduced to the business at a young age. Walter E Smithe Daughters - Aniya Hendrix Trends What happened to the Walter E Smithe guys? - Cowetaamerican.com Colleen loved being able to point out that her dad and uncles, Mark and Tim, brainstormed and executed the ideas themselves. Opening Day is March 30. Meghan Smithe was on maternity leave when she began working part time in the family business, long known for its infectious jingle: You dream it, we build it.. That collective experience comes in handy ahead of any major decisions. I love the attention I get as a local celebrity," Mark says. Spoken like the daughter of a true "shop owner," as her father Walter E. Smithe III, president of the eponymous furniture retailer calls himself. Am I the only one who just thinks he looks like Louis CK? Building upon the Smithe family legacy is a big responsibility, the sisters said, one they've embraced with fervor. "In what seems to be their unending and over-the-top zeal to self-promote, they just may be helping drive traffic," he wrote, adding, "If nothing else, the advertising suggests the chain has some suits with personality attached. Nothing will be worse than the commercials they ran the last time the Cicadas were in season. (Antonio Perez / Chicago Tribune). The company's commercials were originally straightforward descriptions of their products and services, but in 2003, the brothers decided to include outtakes from past filmings, which showed the brothers stumbling over words and laughing at each other. Subscribe to one or more of our free e-mail newsletters to get instant updates on local news, events, and opportunities in Chicago. Press J to jump to the feed. You can still be a fun premium brand (Virgin, for example) but this is Family Dollar-type schtick. Bob's proudly proclaims that it sells cheap garbage, Walter E looks like they're trying to sell you viagra and Penny Mustard radio commercials are justweird.. Chicagoans came to know and appreciate the three Smithe brothers who starred for years in quirky TV commercials touting their family-run furniture company. walter e smithe. "Staying fresh, young and relevant is how we're going to sustain the brand into the next 75 years. But repeated airings of the ad have made him and his door legendary. "I said, `Let's get you guys on camera.'". "An hour and a half. 1251 West Thorndale Avenue. They look hungry. The Smithe sisters Walter III's daughters Maureen, Meghan, Caitie, and Colleen are also now executives at Walter E. Smithe Furniture & Design and appear in the ads. The spot showed the brothers at a news conference announcing that they had purchased Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs, with plans to rename it Walter E. Smithe Field. Take dress up and glam up a notch with a self-care day at this luxurious spa for kids and tweens. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. The inky accents create a sleek statement against the white walls and lend a streamlined look to the space. There's a preconceived notion that furniture stores are stuffy and tired, run by men in suits and catering to older generations. Reaching a younger demographic and expanding their clientele has required some creativity, the sisters said. "It almost feels like the business is, in a weird way, a member of the family. Smithe guy Walt actually Walter Smithe III 45 is president and general manager of the. Now, there are 12, a 115,000-square-foot headquarters in Itasca and more than 550 employees, and this year Walter E. Smithe Furniture will do $100 million in sales. Oct 2012 - Apr 20152 years 7 months. '", "I was at a gym on a treadmill," Mark says of the first time he caught one of the commercials. ", Says Tim Smithe, "Pop culture is always changing and so are we.". Walter E. Smithe Furniture, Inc. is headquartered in Itasca, IL. Born in the heart of Chicago, we're a family owned and operated local business since 1945, now four generations strong. Three generations are involved in the family-run Walter E. Smithe Furniture and Design, including Walter Smithe Jr. (far right); his sons Walter III (far left) and Mark; and his four granddaughters, from left, Maureen, Caitie, Colleen and Meghan. 1 Early life; 2 Television; 3 Personal Life; 4 References; . The sisters get together at least twice a week, traveling from their homes in Chicago, Barrington and Riverside, leaving behind their children, husbands and home duties. Hotel Mousai Puerto Vallarta, Room Request: Four Seasons Hotel Bogota Casa Medina, New Restaurants and Bars in New York City, Clare V., Mulberry and More New Retail Openings in NYC, Tony Robbins Challenge to Provide 1 Billion Meals Nears its Goal, Get behind-the-scenes pictures on Instagram. His sons, Walter, Tim, and Mark, joined the company in the 1970s and 1980s. He attended the University of Notre Dame and earned a bachelor 's . Walter E. Smithe, Jr., founder of Walter E. Smithe Furniture, dies at 86