by Colonel26 Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am, Post (60% off), Sale Price 4,173,623 Stay up to date withYour Favorite Knife Makers. This massive knife was used in early Vietnam era it measures 15" from tip to hilt. I have never found any reference to Western chroming their knives. I've been wanting a V44 pattern for years. sogmanjoe, But once you mod 'em they lose all collector's value. AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods, Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days, Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum, Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum, Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum, Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum, Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum, Knife Related Creation, Modification, And Restoration Forums. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. that was when i was riding with a club, i'm 6'2'' and 230 lbs (wish i still was ) and nobody messed with me, great trouble detorent lol. (70% off), Sale Price 2,135,468 Large WW11 Fighting knife with maker mark. Is it possible that the ones you think are chrome plated are STAINLESS STEEL and the ones you think are not chromed are regular "carbon steel"??? If this is the knife I am thinking of (stacked leather handle with a traditional clip style blade) a friend had one when I was younger and as I recall the knife was darn near impossible to get an edge on. Rare WW11 large Bowie knife made by Jack Soler from Allentown PA was a U.S. Navy Seabee during World War 11. Original Price 1,995,074 We've got Bowie knives of all shapes and sizes at Knife Depot. (70% off), Sale Price $135.00 14 5/8 inches overall. It is blade marked: WESTERN / USA / W49 with the letter "A" which signifies the first year that Western implemented the alphabetical date code (1977). Mine is a coleman with a k stamp on it. Thanks for stepping in, Sac. This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. (45% off), Sale Price 1,708,876 Corral have been captivating the imaginations of America's boys and girls for generations, as something about that lawless, pioneering time speaks to the heart of America's individualistic mentality. When Coleman bought Western in 1984, they continued the practice, up through M. When Camillus bought Western from Coleman in 1991, they dropped the practice. (45% off), Sale Price $21.96 The blade's spine is five . For Sale: Custom & Semi Production Knives (Dealer), KnifeMaker's Market: Knives & More for Sale, Wanted: Knifemaker / Craftsman / Related Services, Busse / Swamprat / Scrapyard Knives For Sale, For Sale: Traditionals, Slipjoints, "Old Timey", International (Non-US) For Sale & Trade Forums, http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/872513/tp/0/all/1/, http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3218/2432943915_de56f97a16_b.jpg, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/941103-Western-W49-Bowie, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1072453-Western-Bowie-any-info-appreciated. I didn't really like it so I gave it to my brother. I have a long list of knives I kick myself for not buying. But without more evidence to support them the above examples are my recommendation at this time. I don't know how long they made this knife but by the 1978 catalog it has disappeared. 4,256,897, 6,978,325 Inspect in Game. You must be logged in to contact sellers. Original Price 2,610,345 Consignment Program Packing Your Knives. (10% off), Sale Price 4,617,980 RARE Vintage Western 2 Blade #691 TRAPPER BONE Handle NICE ! The Western W-49 is made of 1095 carbon steel. Original Price 6,978,325 (70% off), Sale Price $134.97 2. Original Price 4,876,847 Average depth of cut with the same swing was almost a half inch. (35% off), Sale Price 2,020,725 ** I "BUY" KNIVES ** - Any Size Collection!!! If it is legible and anyone can fill in any blanks or dispute any of the data, I am receptive to discussion. Original Price 2,339,655 The 4th variant, I believe, is similarly guard marked and stamped "W49" instead of Bowie, like the 3rd variant, on the pile side. I have spent many hours cruising around here. Or am I missing something? See the weather for Tramonti di Sopra, Friuli Venezia Giulia, IT with the help of our live and local weather cameras. As you can see it also has the small pins in the handle. My knife has an abbreviated guard that was done by a previous owner and is currently semi-Bagwellized. Let me know. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 am, Post Original Price 4,063,793 This knife has a stock number of S-649. Set where you live, what language you speak, and the currency you use. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. by kootenay joe Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:03 pm, Post This traditionally Original Price 4,173,456 Western W49 Fixed Blade Bowie Survival Knife USA Leather Sheath Vintage: $260.00. I still havent actually put my hands on one of the W49s with the chrome plating. Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. Original Price 4,844,560 1,218,966, 2,216,502 This Auction is for an Authentic Western Boulder U.S.A W49 "M" Bowie Knife w/Wooden Plaque - Circa 1840.1977 was the first year that Western knives started using the alphabet, starting with the letter "A", to date code their knives. One must handle this knife to appreciate the quality. My cousin (who served in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969) said he saw knives in country with chrome plating to protect them from moisture. The "J" on you knife is a date code. Try using a different browser or disabling ad blockers. After pulling out his Bowie knife, Mick exclaimed, "THAT'S a knife!" Western started putting the year letter on their knives in 1977 with an "A". Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. It came in handy when I tested a Ontario sp 8 "machete". by kootenay joe Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm, Return to Western Cutlery Collector's Forum, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. (50% off), $400.00 Also they produced the stock number (649) a bowie with a handle made of synthetic stag for the handle. An "I" version would be from 1985, the year after Coleman took over. It is blade marked: WESTERN / USA / W49 with the letter "A" which signifies the first year that Western implemented the alphabetical date code . Charlie, Teslleta: Here it is. Check out the weather around the world with our featured, global weather cams 1,896,552, 3,448,276 You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. I hope that there will be enough detail for me to identify the order of tang and guard stamp introduction on the W49s and other models as well. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. $134.97, $149.97 Many sellers on Etsy offer personalized, made-to-order items. This is the Western Bowie USA knife and the scarce Vietnam era 2nd variation, this tang stamp was produced circa 1966-1968. When Coleman bought Western in 1984, they continued the practice, up through M. When Camillus bought Western from Coleman in 1991, they dropped the practice. I know a thin edge can chop without damage if used properly, but I cant guarantee I my form will always be perfect when using a "chopper". $123.74, $164.99 Thick edges annoy me. Facebook, Tags: Bagwell-Bowie, Bowie, Vintage, Western-Cutlery-W49. It is a V-44 pattern made for the US military by multiple manufacturers. 3,722,167, 4,962,808 Average depth of cut with a full swing was about a quarter inch. Below are pictures of the guard: Knife Repair, Modification, Restoration & Improvement. remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. (40% off), Sale Price $75.30 The knife had been made by his brother, Rezin, a year prior. (45% off), Sale Price 3,386,453 Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. In 1978 the company moved to Longmont, CO. Mine probably dates back farther than yours (before Coleman bought Western) and the vanadium steel they used back then was excellent. Details J.E.B. 1,812,130, 7,248,225 As you can see it also has the small pins in the handle. 1 month ago on ebay.com. White Deer Damascus Steel Rattler Bowie Knife with Frost Wood Handle - GDM-02, White Deer Damascus Outback American Bowie Knife, WHITE DEER D2 Steel Extreme Duty XXL Bowie Knife Large Independent Survival Implement D-2, White Deer Extreme Duty XXL Bowie Knife, 11.5" Japanese CP Steel, Wood Handle, White Deer Exclusive Damascus Bowie Knife, Rosewood & Burl Olive Wood Handle, Master Cutlery Ultimate Extractor Bowie Survival Knife - Black, Rite Edge Bowie Knife, 15" Overall Length, Wood Handle, Sheath, Cold Steel Marauder, 9" Stonewashed Plain Blade, Kray-Ex Handle, Sheath - 39LSWBA, White Deer Magnum Outback American Bowie Knife with High Carbon Stainless Steel & Leather Handle, Ontario SP10 Spec Plus Marine Raider, 9.75" Blade, Kraton Handle, Sheath - 8684, Custom Made Damascus Steel Bowie Knife w/ Buffalo Horn Handle w/Sheath, White Deer magnum XXL Large Bowie Knife with Leather Sheath, Bear & Son American Damascus Bowie Knife with Genuine India Stag Bone Handle - 502D, Cold Steel Wild West Bowie, 10.75" 1090 Carbon Blade, Rosewood Handle - 81B, White Deer Damascus Steel Alamo Jim Bowie Knife, White Deer Damascus Steel Blood Groove Bowie Knife with Rose Wood Handle, KA-BAR BK9 Becker Combat Bowie Knife, 9.25" Blade, Ultramid Handle, White Deer Ranger Bowie Knife Damascus Steel 55-60 HRC Forged 1095 High Carbon, White Deer Damascus Steel Traditional Bowie Knife, White Deer Damascus Steel Bowie W/Giraffe Bone & Copper Bolster EXCLUSIVE, Damascus Steel Bowie Knife Full Tang Buffalo Horn Handle, White Deer Magnum Dave Dundee Bowie Knife Jungle Sawback Serrated Spine w/Wood Handle, SOG Seal Pup Knife, 4.75" ComboEdge AUS8 Blade, GRN Handle, Kydex Sheath - M37K, KA-BAR Bowie Knife, 6.9" Blade, Stacked Leather Handle, Leather Sheath - 1236, Spyderco Street Bowie, 5.05" VG10 Blade, FRN Handle, Sheath - FB04PBB, Bear & Son Cutlery White Smooth Bone Damascus Bowie - WSB02D, Executive Ridge Bowie Knife Wood Grips Trail Runner Elite Full Tang AUS-6 Steel, White Deer Damascus Steel Bowie Knife W/Giraffe Bone & Rose Wood Handle, 1095HC Damascus Steel Clip-Pont Bowie Knife Blank with DIY Make-Your-Own Handle, Jungle Bowie Knife, 12" Stainless Steel Sawback Blade, Hardwood Handle, Condor Hudson Bay Camp Knife, 8.5" Carbon Blade, Hardwood Handle, Leather Sheath - CTK240-8.5HC, Cold Steel Knives Bowie Bushman, Black SK-5 Carbon Steel, Secure-Ex Sheath, Fantasy Alien Bowie Dagger with Display Stand, 9 5/8 G10 Handle Fixed Blade with Leather Sheath, Laminated Hardwood Handle with G10 Spacers, 10 Everyday Objects You Can Use to Sharpen a Knife. Many a GI bought a Western model at the Base Exchange to use in Vietnam. I was looking at my W49 last night and there is not a tang stamp. UP FOR SALE IS A VINTAGE WESTERN W49-H LARGE BOWIE KNIFE WITH SHEATH. All About Pocket Knives is a knife related resource center for buying, selling, researching, and discussing all things knives, Post i have one i bought late 80's i think 60 bucks otd, got it cuase a buddy had one and he loved it.   United States   |   English (US)   |   $ (USD). I'm confused. Powered by, Badges | Camillus produced the W49 until 2006. http://img443.No_outside_hosting.us/i/cbf7pjgcwkkgrhqyoknmez4.jpg/. It has been custom painted with knotwork. I have two of them. The jets rip has an easily broken cat guard and a very thick grind not and efficient chopper . JavaScript is disabled. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am, Post Original Price 3,448,276 The western being thinner bites better. Check out our awesome collection now. All photos were 10 chops. Here's a thread on another forum that may help you: Chrome plating of the blade was to protect it from rust in the jungle. Set where you live, what language you speak, and the currency you use. Description. And you are spot-on when you allude to "gray areas." 1,637,685, 2,339,655 1,435,714, 2,610,345 $120.00, $200.00 Here is the best that I can find as far as their tang stamping is concerned That's about all I know. The Timber Rattler Western Outlaw is an attention grabber with its classic gray hardwood handle. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. $84.99, $169.99 I had a new one in the box a few years ago and let it go too cheap for 100.00 at a gun show so I could purchase something else. 1,516,995, 2,758,374 Original Price 3,029,557 They come all sorts of ways. sp 8 weighs a ton, if I wanted a field piece I would take the w49 over it ant day of the week. Great! I've never had the Bowie, but older Westerns are fantastic knives. They are the older high carbon blades. Found something you love but want to make it even more uniquely you? 4,617,980, 6,157,389 Etsy is powered by 100% renewable electricity. Terms of Service. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife 29.99 This Timber Rattler Outlaw bowie knife is one powerful full-tang beast that every manly man needs. Thin edges can chop without damage, you just have to keep the blade straight so the force of the swing is aligned with the edge. Because of our large inventory (over 10,000 knives in stock), your order will ship quickly - often the same day. i don't need to use it too much. Thanks for the replies, I picked up one. Original Price 6,157,389 o connor family tree, husqvarna z246 wiring diagram,