Andre Iguodala father: Who is Leonard Shanklin? Bio, age, nationality Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 2004 Skybox Autographics #76 /750 - ANDRE IGUODALA - PSA 9 - Rookie Year at the best online prices at eBay! Other players involved in the deal included All-Stars Andrew Bynum and Dwight Howard. There were like four or five companies total where we made some great success with the investments. Oguodala is known for his savvy business instincts and has been at the forefront of navigating the worlds of venture capital and technology in the Bay Area. Golden State Warriors veteran forward Andre Iguodala returning for 19th He rested on one end of every back-to-back the . The 6ft 11 center was born to a Nigerian father and American mother and played college basketball for the Arizona Wildcats. HEAT Proud Of Their Connection To Nigeria | NBA.com Facts about Andre Iguodala - The Meaning Of The Name CC:Photo by Steve Jennings/Getty Images for techCrunch "For me, it's really important because I have a lot of roots in Africa with my father being from Nigeria," Iguodala told TechCrunch over the phone this week. The draft was originally scheduled for 25 June but had been delayed because of the fallout from the coronavirus and was this year held via video calls. In his rookie year, he teamed up with Allen Iverson and would regularly display his leap to convert Iverson Alley Oops into monsterous dunks. It was always my dream to play for the USA team, Iguodala said. He still calls this house home now. If you watch that game [vs Grizzlies] and you say hes a negative defender or a poor defender, Id like you to pee in a cup, OK?. Andre Iguodala | Golden State Warriors | NBA.com Getty Images. And we felt like we fell short without getting a medal. [104], On June 25, 2019, Iguodala released The Sixth Man: A Memoir. Full Name. [103], Iguodala is a Venture Partner in the Catalyst Fund, which invests in underrepresented founders and entrepreneurs of tech companies. What building a culture really means, and make sure we have a roster that can accommodate those priorities. Hard work, the way you have to handle your business, always working hard, trusting family, just respect, core values and stuff like that.. [5][8][9] As a senior in 2002, Iguodala led Lanphier's basketball team to a runner-up finish at the Illinois High School Association Class AA state tournament. When people see us on the court, we want them to see Gods work. Everything you need to know about the Warriors' championship rings, Warriors vet Iguodala returning for 19th season, They said it! The 6' 11" center plays in the NBA for the Phoenix Suns. Bam Adebayo, simply put, has no regard for the basket. The two have also invested in at least 25 different startups in the technology industry. On August 12, 2008, Iguodala reportedly agreed to a six-year, $80 million contract extension with the Sixers. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Andre Iguodala 2017/18 Panini Select Basketball Silver Prizm #17 NrMt at the best online prices at eBay! Desmond Bane started playing baseball before he switched to basketball and was the 30th overall pick, drafted by the Boston Celtics, with reports that he will be traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. [50] The Warriors finished the regular season as the first seed in the Western Conference with a 739 record, the best overall record in NBA history, surpassing the 199596 Chicago Bulls' mark of 7210, while Iguodala finished as runner-up for the 201516 NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award. Per the Philly Inquirer: Iguodalas father is Nigerian. In his freshman year, the Wildcats were defeated in the Elite Eight by Kansas. However, he also had his career-best season in assists with 6.3 apg and helped the Sixers make the playoffs with the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference. Coach Mike Krzyzewski called Iguodala one of the team's best players, and compared his game to that of Scottie Pippen. "I've been working a lot during these quarantine times, and I feel like I've made a lot of improvements," Nnaji explained. With Golden State down 21 in the series, Iguodala made his first start of the season, replacing center Andrew Bogut in Game 4. In the FIBA World Championships Iguodala displayed his athleticism with an array of fastbreak dunks. [32][33] He officially joined the Warriors in a three-team sign-and-trade deal with the Nuggets and the Utah Jazz. Were not there yet in terms of decision-making. [74][75], On July 7, 2019, Golden State traded Iguodala along with a protected first-round draft pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Julian Washburn. We want to be a good representation of what we believe in When you go out there, youre not just representing your country or the NBA, youre representing your beliefs. Andre Tyler Iguodala was born on the 28th of January 1984 to a Nigerian father and an African American mother in Illinois. Im thrilled to be a part of this unique enterprise that is shaping the future of digital Africa., His affirmation was also rechoed by Jumia co-founder Sacha Poignonne who said: Having Andre join our board sends the world the message that Africa has successful companies and great entrepreneurs, and that athletes can play a key role in contributing to their success.. ", Jazz general manager Justin Zanik said: "We felt at the end of the day that 'Dok was the best defensive player, best player available given his unique production, physical attributes and ability to affect both offensively and defensively on the court,". Then we invested in Apple. That season, he averaged 23.5 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game. We tend to hop on what is trending at the moment. [76] Golden State was eyeing a replacement for Thompson while he recovered from his injury, and the trade freed salary cap space for them to acquire All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell in a sign-and-trade package with the Brooklyn Nets for Durant, who had announced earlier that he planned to sign with the Nets. He supported Devin Booker and Chris Paul as they fought their way through the ranks. It was an amazing experience, man. It didnt feel right to me. The 2020-21 NBA Champion and NBA Finals MVP, a player who is now arguably the best player in the league, Giannis Antetokounmpo is without a question number 1 on our list. National Basketball Association, NBA star, Andre Tyler Iguodala is on his way to Africa. His parents were Nigerian immigrants who moved to America. Andre Iguodala Was Invited to Try Out for Team Nigeria | SLAM He played in a tournament put together at the NBA 2K10 launch party in New York City against other NBA players Nate Robinson, Brook Lopez and Rajon Rondo, and rapper Wale. Andre Tyler Iguodala was born on the 28th of January 1984 to a Nigerian father and an African American mother in Illinois Andre Tyler Iguodala was born on the 28th of January 1984 to a. The former UC Santa Barbara standout first thought about playing for the national team in high school and started reaching out to former Nigeria coaches while in college. In the final round, he did a behind-the-back dunk and followed with a reverse. I make sure I stay in chapel and have a good relationship with our chaplain. Thats something that theyve talked about, having a Team Nigeria in Miami, and I think its cool, Erik Spoelstra said. During the year, Andre was the subject of multiple trade rumors that had him being traded to either the Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers or Los Angeles Lakers. View player profile, bio, stats, news and video highlights. [42][43] The Warriors defeated the Cavaliers in six games, and Iguodala was named the Finals MVP, becoming the first player to win the award without starting a game during the regular season. [53] The Warriors would again play the Cleveland Cavaliers for the championship. He had previously served as vice-president of the NBPA executive committee starting in 2013. At Arizona, Iguodala planned to major in education. The Sixers hired coach Eddie Jordan to take over for Tony DiLeo. When Iguodala was selected, ESPN personality Dick Vitale commented that it was a mistake for the Sixers to take him, saying "Iguodala was a [27 percent] shooter from the college three-point line. Andre Tyler Iguodala (/wdl/ ig-w-DAH-l; born January 28, 1984)[1] is an American professional basketball player who plays for the Golden State Warriors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). His date of birth is however unknown but he is believed to be in his early 60s considering the age of his son younger Andre (age 38 years). On November 28, 2016, Iguodala had a season-best game with 12 points, five rebounds and five assists in a 105100 win over the Atlanta Hawks, helping the Warriors start the season 162 while recording their 12th straight victorytheir equal third-longest streak in franchise history. Iguodala became a member of the Board of Directors for Jumia Technologies, NYSE: JMIA, after the e-commerce platform successfully listed its billion-dollar IPO in April 2019. This is the first time Nigeria qualified for the Olympics, but with Iguodala aboard, who knows if the team would have made it sooner? His scoring average was the lowest of all the 24 All-Stars, but he was rewarded for being the best player on the 76ers, who were leading the Atlantic Division. He also made the All-Pac-10 First Team and was named Honorable Mention All-America by The Associated Press. A 6' 4" shooting guard, he is agile and athletic with exceptional explosive strength. He replaced LeBron James in that role. Early on in the year, Iguodala was on a Sixers team with high expectations after signing All-Star forward Elton Brand and seeing the success of forward Thaddeus Young, whom they drafted with their lottery pick the prior year. [57] On March 13, 2017, he was fined $10,000 by the NBA for using racially intemperate language in an interview following the Warriors' loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on March 10. NBA Star, Andre Iguodala Believes In Nigeria's E-Commerce Growth [105], Iguodala appeared as a fictionalized version of himself in the second season of Abbott Elementary (2022).[106]. Iguodala was born in Springfield, Illinois. [68][69] After starting nine consecutive games,[70] he missed the deciding Game 4 in the conference finals against Portland with a sore left calf injury from Game 3. Collins called him a "stat-sheet stuffer". In his sophomore year, Arizona was defeated in the first round by Seton Hall. [27] The contract had $5 million in bonuses and a player option for the sixth year. In his NBA finals run, Adebayo put up unbelievable numbers in the playoffs for a second-year-player. He has appeared in three playoffs and two NBA All Stars games proving his potential. !@Giannis_An34 @Paschketball pic.twitter.com/kxLuUoXP0A. In Game 1, Orlando had an 18-point lead in the fourth quarter, but Philadelphia made an amazing comeback led by Iguodala, eventually scoring a step-back, fadeaway jumper in the face of Hedo Trkolu with 2.2 seconds remaining to give the Sixers the win. Just giving those kids back home an opportunity to be able to showcase their talent in a well-put-together league, I think, is great.. Complete listing of all NBA Players and team rosters. Andre Tyler Iguodala. 2001 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia #175 Andre Carter Premier Materials After attending Lanphier High School in Springfield, Illinois, Iguodala enrolled at the University of Arizona. Finals", "Warriors first to 5 Finals in row since 1966 Celtics", "Raptors capture first NBA title, beat Warriors in Game 6", "After the Injuries, What's Next for the Warriors? His return fill's the team's 14th . [30] Iguodala returned on opening night of 201213 to play his former team. You learn to balance your portfolio. On September 23, 2022, Iguodala re-signed with the Warriors on a one-year, fully guaranteed, 2.9 million dollar contract (the veteran's minimum) and announced his decision to retire after the season. I didn't think I'd be able to play at a level like Louisville," he said before the draft. Victor began his NBA career in 2013 as a second overall draft pick by the Orlando Magic. You'll never hear a bad thing said about Russell Westbrook from anyone in this league that's played against him or with him. pic.twitter.com/mLYtH2hVnj, Mark Haynes (@markhaynesnba) March 4, 2023, De'Aaron Fox, Russell Westbrook, Los Angeles Clippers, Sacramento Kings, ASVEL, Business, France, Owners, Uncategorized, ASVEL, Business, France, Owners, Tony Parker, Ja Morant was allegedly seen showing off a gun in his IG Live this morning. The inaugural edition of the event began in 2017 where Iguodala and teammate Stephen Curry played hosts. The Sixers, however, were a big disappointment, going only 2755 during the regular season and missing the playoffs after two straight playoff berths. In his best NBA regular-season performance, Oladipo averaged 19.9 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 4.8 assists. His first dunk was a simple windmill, but then for his second dunk he received a pass from Allen Iverson off the back side of the backboard, then leapt under the board and put in the reverse on the other side and was awarded a perfect score of 50 points. Ayton was born to a Nigerian father and a Jamaican and Bahamian mother. And so, "Iguodala" could easily mean "Weed/wheat/hay which he/she threw (which fell)" Some Igbo names are in the context of . In addition to his numerous basketball achievements, he has found success in the business world with entrepreneurial ventures in technology and e-commerce. His partnership with entrepreneurs in San Francisco's Silicon Valley has led to an annual event tagged Players Technology Summit. Iguodala averaged career-highs in rebounds, assists, and blocks, and a career-low in personal fouls. I had a similar role to affect the game defensively. Once he picks up momentum it is unstoppable to stop the Greek Freek. For other guys like Vincent and Achiuwa, it was a bit different. Thats tough, but we didnt deserve to win. Aside winning several laurels as an NBA star, Iguodala is also a tech-investor and a leading advocate for athletes in the NBA to invest in the technology industry. Philadelphia 76ers Andre Iguodala #9 NBA SWINGMAN adidas Basketball "I feel great. He is a Nigerian who migrated to the capital of the United Stage, Springfield, Illinois. Do you believe significant roster changes might be necessary after this season? Nigerian NBA Superstar, Andre Iguodala Joins Jumia's Board of Directors Read about our approach to external linking. Andre Tyler Iguodala (born January 28, 1984) is an American professional basketball player for the Golden State Warriors of the National Basketball Association (NBA). On August 10, 2021, Iguodala returned to the Golden State Warriors. NBA.com is part of Warner Media, LLCs Turner Sports & Entertainment Digital Network. His older brother, Frank, played for Lake Land College in Mattoon, Illinois, and Dayton. Isaac Okoro was fifth overall pick and has been chosen by Cleveland Cavaliers. Andre is a citizen of the USA. In his last year with co-captain and veteran point guard Andre Miller, Iguodala helped lead the Sixers to another playoff berth, finishing the season with a 4141 season record, 6th in the Eastern conference. He was acquired by Golden State in 2013. [38] The win extended the Warriors' season-high winning streak to 8 games. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. In acknowledgment of the players of Nigerian Origin's impact on the NBA, this list is a chronicle of the best such active players. This is something for the long run. "I watched the NBA Finals, and thankful that they're welcoming me to Miami. Antony Ressler: If youre the final decision maker, which I am, you have to have complete accountability. "I've added 20 pounds of muscle. On January 3, 2014, Iguodala hit a game-winning, 3-point buzzer-beater in the Warriors' 101100 win over the Atlanta Hawks. On his 28th birthday, Iguodala recorded a 10-point, 10-rebound, 10-assist triple-double effort in a win over the Pistons. In 2017, he partnered with Bloomberg on the creation of The Players Technology Summit which convenes top executives and leaders in the technology, venture capital, and sports communities to exchange ideas and share expertise in an educational and empowering forum. It is something that you are invested in. Last updated on 19 November 202019 November 2020.From the section Sport Africa. Im glad he played well, but Im glad we got the win. He said: Were not enough. Iguodala has played in six NBA finals, out of which five were with the Golden State Warriors and one with the Miami Heat. When you go out there, youre not just representing your country or the NBA, youre representing your beliefs. [5] Growing up, Iguodala rooted for the Chicago Bulls, and he cites Michael Jordan as the player he looked up to.[6]. Jumia made the announcement stating that the 35-year old Andre will be "charged with promoting business development and technology in Africa.". This led to the firing of Nuggets coach George Karl, who just won the NBA Coach of the Year Award. The Sixers fired head coach Eddie Jordan and brought in Doug Collins. Iguodala's mother is African American while his father is Nigerian. Of course I take responsibility. He showed his versatility during the season posting up a career-high in triple-doubles. "You know, I feel like I bring a mature approach. DeAaron Fox showed Russell Westbrook nothing but respect after defeating the Clippers on Friday. You do some research on those companies because you are watching where your money is going and how its growing or how its being lost. He is often called the Greek Freak, a name that perfectly suits his style. "My hope was to end up in a great organisation, and thank God my prayers got answered and I'm part of a great organisation," Achiuwa said. Rookie Of The Year", "Iguodala powers sophomores in Rookie Challenge", "Robinson, not Iguodala, wins dunkfest amid controversy", "Andre Iguodala Finally Speaks On Being Robbed of 2006 Dunk Contest By Nate Robinson (Because Of Manny Pacquiao)", "He Got (Nate) Robbed: The Oral History of the 2006 NBA Dunk Contest", "Sources: Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers", "Iguodala signs reported six-year, $80 million deal with 76ers", "Denver Nuggets acquire All-Star, Olympian Andre Iguodala", "Warriors, not Grizzlies, are to blame for Andre Iguodala predicament", "Warriors Acquire Andre Iguodala from Denver Nuggets as Part of Three-Team Trade", "Warriors beat Thunder at buzzer, 116-115", "Andre Iguodala hits buzzer-beater 3 to extend Warriors winning streak to eight games (Video)", "Warriors Forward Andre Iguodala Earns NBA All-Defensive First Team Honors - Golden State Warriors", "Iguodala's Willingness to Come off Bench Helps Key Warriors", "Andre Iguodala named Finals MVP after coming off bench to begin series", "Andre Iguodala's defense on LeBron helps him win Finals MVP", "Andre Iguodala 2015-16 Game Log - Basketball-Reference.com", "Clippers' Crawford named Kia NBA Sixth Man of Year", "With Andre Iguodala back in the starting lineup, Warriors are back in the NBA Finals", "When LeBron swooped in and changed the course of Cavs' history", "Hawks vs. Warriors - Game Recap - November 28, 2016 - ESPN", "Warriors rout defending champion Cavaliers 126-91 in rematch", "Iguodala scores 24 to lead Warriors past Hawks, 119-111", "Warriors' Andre Iguodala fined, offers no apology for racial comments", "Warriors trounce Lakers, finish regular season with 67-15 record", "Warriors sweep Spurs, enter NBA Finals 12-0", "Steve Kerr went with his best closer again -- Andre Iguodala for the title", "Warriors Re-Sign Curry, Durant, Iguodala, Livingston, Pachulia and West to Contracts", "Andre Iguodala, Warriors agree to three-year, $48 million deal", "Durant leads short-handed Warriors past Portland 111-104", "Durant has 43, Warriors take 3-0 NBA Finals lead over Cavs", "Golden State Warriors forward Andre Iguodala will play in Game 3 of The Finals", "Sources: Grizz explore trade market for Iguodala", "Warriors Start Hamptons Five, Showing Urgency in Win Over Rockets", "After Game 1, Steve Kerr says 'it's a series where we can play more people', "Warriors Sweep Blazers to Reach Their 5th Straight N.B.A. 200809 season: Leading the NBA in minutes, 200910 season: Reunion with Allen Iverson, 201011 season: All-Defensive Second Team, 201415 season: First NBA championship and Finals MVP, 201516 season: Sixth Man of the Year runner-up, 201819 season: Fifth NBA Finals appearance, 201920 season: Sixth NBA Finals appearance, 2010 FIBA World Championship Gold medal, List of National Basketball Association career games played leaders, List of National Basketball Association career steals leaders, List of National Basketball Association annual minutes leaders, "Andre Iguodala voted first VP of National Basketball Players Association", "Player Bio: Andre Iguodala University of Arizona Wildcats Official Athletic Site", "Looking into the life of the Sixers' Andre Iguodala", "Operating on the Hardwood- Andre Iguodala to Arkansas", "Inside the free-agency frenzy that almost cost the Warriors a Finals MVP", "Dick Vitale - Some declaring for draft are making a mistake", "Robinson wins dunkfest amid controversy", "Robinson rises above Slam-Dunk competition", "Emeka Okafor Named 2004-05 NBA got milk? Andre Iguodala is signing with the Golden State Warriors, according to Jonathan Abrams of the New York Times on Friday. Youre just not prepared to say what that looks like right now? Iguodala was also selected for the 2012 London Olympics team, largely due to his exceptional defensive ability. In their conference finals match-up with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Iguodala helped the Warriors fight back from a 31 deficit in the series to win clinch a 43 victory. [36] Iguodala finished with 14 points and 9 assists. The Warriors' small lineup, which came to be known as the Death Lineup, helped turn the series around. [55] On January 16, 2017, he came off the bench to make all five of his field goal attempts for a season-high 14 points in a 12691 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers. Born to Nigerian immigrants, Giannis is from Greece. American Basketball star Andre Iguodala , a notable tech investor and board member of Jumia Group, recently visited Nigeria his country of descent to engage . Previously with the 3-time NBA Champions Golden State Warriors, Iguodala was drafted into the NBA in 2004. 8 years ago today. Obinna Ukwuani: The Nigerian MIT graduate who turned down 6-figure paycheck in US and returned to Africa. [101], In March 2015, Twice, an online secondhand apparel outlet, named Iguodala its Menswear Style Director. The award however was given to Nate Robinson,[20] in a controversial decision,[21][22][23] as Robinson had missed 14 straight dunk attempts before hitting his final one. Is every player on the table when it comes to potential change, including Trae Young? There have been a few things that Ive invested in that are no longer operating, but Ive learned so much through them. Andre Iguodala, an 18-year veteran of the NBA, has made his mark as one of the league's premier players. You want to play hard for someone who died for you". Passion for tech investment Speaking about his passion for investment in tech companies, Iguodala said: I started with an E-Trade account. Jumia Enlists Andre Iguodala for Some Muscle in Silicon Valley - Adweek His defensive prowess lies in his ability to gather balls off the rim and offensively, he can put the same balls back in for quick buckets. Daniel Oturu was the third choice in the second round of the draft which made him the 33rd pick overall. [26] He officially signed on August 17, 2008. He has the ability to drive to the basket and finish with aggressive dunks or crafty layups. And once guys realize that, they really get into something that is really healthy for you.. "To be honest, I didn't think I'd be in the position I'm in today. trademarks of Slam Media Inc. All rights reserved. Im proud of where Im from. His father was Nigeria's head coach at the World Cup (now the country's assistant coach) and the duo became the first Nigerian son and father to be part of a Nigerian national team side at the same time. For his defensive contributions to the Warriors, Iguodala was named to the 2014 All-NBA Defensive first team. In the playoffs, Iguodala had the assignment of guarding James and Dwyane Wade in the first round. He put up 11 points in an 8475 loss, and received a mixed response from the crowd.