Jehovah Rapha The Lord our healer. 2. The Gospels R'eh from which Raah derived, means "shepherd" in Hebrew. We may ask God to take away physical pain, and he reminds us that restoration doesnt just happen at the skin-deep level. It occurs 200 times in Ezekiel alone and appears 11 times in Daniel Chapter 9. Typical behavior for most of us! Historical Books Adonai can be translated literally as, "my lords' " (both plural and possessive). In Ezekiel 48:35 it is written "JEHOVAH SHAMMAH" and it means God is here. Rather than merely healing the body, Yahweh Rophe (yah-WEH ro-FEH) heals the mind and soul as well. "Heal" is how the Hebrew word "rapha" is usually translated in Scripture, but the heart of the meaning of the word is "to mend, repair, or restore something to its normal or useful state". In all the instances in Scripture above, we see people in dire situations. in the resource materials are not necessarily affirmed, in total, by this ministry. See also Romans 7:21-24. Shammah is derived from the Hebrew word sham, which can be translated as "there." You may have found yourself wondering just how many names God has in Scripture. We have that promise. The caption in my study Bible for this passage of Scripture says "Bitter Waters Made Sweet". 1. Prophets Even when we think weve reached the worst trial of our lives, we can be reminded that we have a God who restores and binds our wounds. What other strategies do you have in not giving way to the carnal nature in your life? The illustration introduces the sermon of which this verse is . Psalm 103:2-3 "Praise Yahweh, my soul, And don't forget all His benefits; Who forgives all your sins; Who heals[rophe] all your diseases;" (WEB) Although God is attentive to our prayers, we may pray using different names as a reminder to ourselves about Gods power, his wonder, his strength, his provisions, and many other divine qualitites. No matter what the instance, Jehovah-Rapha heals and restores them. For Abraham, it was the ram caught in the thicket that was offered in Isaac's place. This name of God which (by Jewish tradition) is too holy to voice, is actually spelled "YHWH" without vowels. Following this miracle, God declared HImself as Jehovah Rapha to His people by proclaiming, If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you. (Exodus 15:26). El Olamin the Septuagint: [ho] theos [ho] ainios - the everlasting God, Meaning and Derivation: El is another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. God is our healer | Devotionals | NewSpring Church This name of God is proclaimed to the children of Israel by God through Moses at Marah. Jehovah rophe (Yahweh rofe'ekha) The LORD who heals you - Names for God But He first gave the man what was needed most spiritual healing by instantly removing public condemnation and private shame. The meaning of this name is The Lord Who Provides. This was to give their soldiers a feeling of hope and a focal point. Pauline Epistles Olam literally means "forever," "eternity," or "everlasting". (95 votes) Very easy. The Jehovah's Witnesses emphasize the use of Jehovah to the extent that any other name or title for God is viewed as borderline idolatry or outright heresy. When we study these names that He reveals to us in the Bible, we will better understand who God really is. Fill me with the power of your Holy Spirit to help bring healing to others. (excerpt provided by Rebecca Barlow Jordan, Daily in His Presence). This name has to do with warfare. Use in the Bible: In the Old Testament Jehovah-Shalom occurs only once in Jdg 6:24. Why does he have so many? Others think that Elohim is derived from another two roots: 'lh (which means "god") in conjunction with 'elah (which means "fear"). What are the different names of Jehovah and their meanings? In this verse alone, David declares that not only does God heal us from our physical ailments, but our spiritual ones as well. 3. El Elyon in the Septuagint: ho theos ho hupsistos - the God most high, Meaning and Derivation: El is another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. In Judaism, Jesus is not viewed as a divine being. Father God, we need your healing. Our Father, Jehovah Rapha, sent His son Jesus to us to heal, save and set us free! Variant spellings: Jehovah-Rophe; Jehovah Rophecha; Jehovah Raphah, Jehovah Rapha in the Septuagint: kurios ho imenos se - the Lord your healer. Luke-Acts Christianity.com is a member of the Salem Web Network of sites including: Copyright 2023, Christianity.com. During the third century A.D., the Jewish people stopped saying this name in fear of contravening the commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" (Exd 20:7). Where Is Jehovah Rapha Found In The Bible - BibleTalkClub.net I reach out to you and receive the healing that you alone can provide. May my scars minister to those who need encouragement. More than 1400 of her works have been featured in various publications. of Scripture. Wisdom Literature According to the Bible you can experience all of that if you know Gods name, that is! All rights reserved. ", Further references of the name Jehovah Mekoddishkem in the Old Testament: Exd 31:13; Lev 20:8. Error: Passwords should have at least 6 characters, Error: Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. The New Testament GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point When the two words are combined - Jehovah Raah - it can be translated as "The Lord my Friend. A Christian believes that Jesus is the son of God, crucified, died and resurrected three days later. Time and time again, I lay my complaints at Your feet, yet You never turn me away. a. The tree made the difference in the taste of the water. Major Prophets 4:15, 25). 1. During times of sickness, we may call upon God using his name that is tied to healing, Jehovah Rapha., The Name:The Hebrew word rophe or rapha means "heal, "cure," "restore," or "make whole." Jehovah Rapha By Leah Adams. The Amalekites were a perpetual sore in the side of Israel. You will understand how God provides for our needs. We can learn something new about him every time we discover a new name in the Bible. 2. Jehovah-Rapha means, "I am the Lord _______ ___________ .". Shortly after his people left Egypt for the Promised Land, God revealed himself as Yahweh Rophe, "the LORD who heals." JEHOVAH ROPHE My Healer. God's name is of the utmost importance (Neh 9:5); therefore we ought reserve it a position of grave significance in our minds and hearts. *, Key Scripture:If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statues, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. Is There a Question That God Cannot Answer? In our own lives, we can call upon the healing name of God in prayer. How Is God the Same in the Old and New Testaments? When unrelated comments get in the way of discussion, they will be deleted. Jehovah Mekoddishkem in the Septuagint: kurios ho hagiazn humas - the Lord that sanctifies you, Meaning and Derivation: Jehovah is translated as "The Existing One" or "Lord." Rapha is often used as a compound name with 'Jehovah' ( hvhy seen here ). Connected with the word for God, El, this denotes a God who freely gives nourishment and blessing, He is our sustainer. The meaning of this name is The Lord Who Provides. You will learn to lean on Him and trust Him when the battle seems more than you can handle. John 3:16, Jesus faith love), The Whole Bible Jeremiah and Isaiah lost their homes and nation. Amen. We may see a physical ailment and think that our creator should make fixing that his top priority. See also Ephesians 6:18 and 1 Thessalonians 5:17. Where is Yahweh? A brief detour on bitterness One Who is able to meet my need in just the right time as He did for Abraham, and One Who can meet it fully. The chief meaning of Jehovah is derived from the Hebrew word Havah meaning "to be" or "to exist." Further references of the name El Shaddai in the Old Testament: Gen 17:1; Gen 28:3; Gen 35:11; Gen 43:14; Gen 48:3. We live in a stressful world and society. Our Response:Lord, You pour Your salve of cleansing, healing, and forgiveness over my spirit. The Hebrew Scriptures, in fact, link sickness and sin by presenting sin as the cause of illness just as it is the cause of death. . God not only restores us physically, but also spiritually. YHWH is referred to as the Tetragrammaton (which simply means "the four letters"). This full- color glossy, 12-panel pamphlet offers an easy-to-use chart format for learning God's names and their meaning such as El Shaddai (The All-Sufficient One), Jehovah-Rapha (The Lord Who Heals), and YHWH (I Am). For instance, the nameJabez in the Bible means pain.. For I am the LORD who heals you. Exd 34:14), Further references of the name Qanna in the Old Testament: Exd 20:5; Exd 34:14; Deu 4:24; Deu 5:9; Deu 6:15. The Lord Our Banner desires to give us victory. Through a piece of wood, God makes the water drinkable. While there are things we can fix, so much of it is better left to God, Jehovah Rapha (Rophe) - the God who heals. Wisdom Literature So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure? (Genesis 18:12). (Psa 24:9-10; Psa 84:3; Isa 6:5). This name for God is found in the NIV. As a result of this, Adonai is occasionally a substitute for YHWH. Exodus 17:11-13. The name Jehovah-Jireh is a name that is crucial for us today as we seek to know the Father. The word rapha means heal, cure, restore, or make whole. Without sickness how would we learn of God's healing? What led to victory for Israel over the Amalekites? For the woman in Mark 5, that was certainly true, and we know her as the woman with the issue of blood. 4. Commentary. WE shall consider this passage in its connection, for I have no doubt that the miracle at Marah was intended to be a very instructive illustration of the glorious title which is here claimed by the covenant God of Israel, "I am Jehovah-Kophi, the Lord that healeth thee.". GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point